Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

If this issue has been addressed in these forums, I apologize for repeating it, I looked and was not able to find any info on it. But, I could have missed it. Thanks for your patience.

I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber. I recently had to change the battery on it and after I switched the battery out. I tried using the spare key to start the car and it will not start. I heard it has to do with the security and the key not being reset.

Has anyone heard of this or been through this already? Do i need to pay the dealership to reset the key?

Help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks,
Colapop

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Does your "main key" still work? (I presume yes)
Is the spare key the same type as the main one?
Is the battery in the spare key still good? (not sure if it needs to be good for the transponder to work)
If yes to the above - unfortunately you might need to go to the dealer, unless you hav a third key that works. There are instructions in the owners manual for programming extra keys - if you have 2 good ones to start with.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
This TSB maybe what you are referring to: http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=20760

Usually if one key works, it just requires the system to learn the other one. There is a procedure in the Owners Manual for programming the key and FOB. I'd give that a try before going to the dealer. I never had the problem either of the 2 times I changed out the OE batteries that suck on these cars.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I thought that you needed two good keys to program another one - I'll look in my owner's manual tomorrow.

Brad,
What kind of battery are you using now, is it any better than the OEM one?

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
I thought that you needed two good keys to program another one - I'll look in my owner's manual tomorrow.

Brad,
What kind of battery are you using now, is it any better than the OEM one?
You're right, I was thinking of the FOB.

My latest battery is a Pepboys brand which I think is made by Energizer. My first OE lasted 3 months, and the second lasted until 8 months ago.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Brad,

Do you have many Pep Boys out your way? I thought that they were mostly a Philly thing.

Scary thing is my OEM battery says DaimlerChrysler on it -I just wonder how old it actually is. I'm past 3 months, still good, but 8 months is coming up.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Brad,

Do you have many Pep Boys out your way? I thought that they were mostly a Philly thing.

Scary thing is my OEM battery says DaimlerChrysler on it -I just wonder how old it actually is. I'm past 3 months, still good, but 8 months is coming up.
I believe there are 6 just in and around Albuquerque. They are in fact everywhere out here in the west.

As far as your battery goes, plenty of us have had premature dead batteries. The OEM is crap.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
There's a lot of Pep Boys in Nashville too.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Isn't the battery only for the remote keyless feature? I thought the chip that allows ignition to function needs no battery. That is how my Camaro worked. No battery on it, just a chip embedded in the key.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Isn't the battery only for the remote keyless feature? I thought the chip that allows ignition to function needs no battery. That is how my Camaro worked. No battery on it, just a chip embedded in the key.
We're talking about the car's battery, not the one in the remote.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Still on original battery after 3 yrs-maybe I should buy a lottery ticket.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
A guy I work wih has an 8 yr old F150 - Still the original battery - luck of the draw I guess.

·
Super Moderator
12,293 Posts
On my third battery - one swapped out completely dead.
Unlikely to affect Ignition Key unless dead for a very long time.
My longest was 3 weeks prior to battery swap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts