Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a number of posts concerning the clunking that people have heard coming from the front suspension of the Calibers. The cause of this noise is that the lower control arm bolts are below specification. In other words the wrong size bolts. When you strike a bump, brake and/or accelerate quickly this will shift the Lower control arms and cause the clunk. The problem is that the more you drive the worst the cluck will become as this will start to bend and distort the control arms and/or bolts. If this is the case you will need to have both arms replaced. I just had this done, however most dealership will write you off as an idiot, shop around for a good one.

Good luck
Samurai-SRT4

·
Registered
69 Posts
I notice that noise in the front drivers side of my car. everytime I step on gas or turn i hear a little rub or crunching sound. Do you think this is what your discussing and does a warranty cover this. It is a 2007 sxt and I purchased extra warranty so I am covered through 2012. or 80,000 miles. Thanks goodness. Please get back to me. just read some other threads and people seem to think it is a defect in the lower control arm, taking it to dodge tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Cool beans!! Glad to hear it was something simple.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Not to be the proof reader on here but could all of you please take a second to read your posts before you post them up for all to read. I get some good laughs from some of them and others I can't even read. Hence the title of this post. "Clucking sound" ?? Are we not talking about a noise from the car and not from a chicken ? Anyway, yes their is a TSB regarding the bolts on the control arms.

G

·
I have a 2007 SXT model with a similar popping noise coming from the front end. This front end pop happens when I brake, accelerate, or turn. I just read the RRT for the lower control arm, but it states that the vehicles affected should only be the 2008-2009 models. I recently had my front end inspected by a commercial auto care facility (not a dealer). They could not find anything wrong. Could this sound be coming from something other than the lower control arm? Engine mounts? Intermediate steering shaft? Any help is appreciated.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
I have a 2007 SXT model with a similar popping noise coming from the front end. This front end pop happens when I brake, accelerate, or turn. I just read the RRT for the lower control arm, but it states that the vehicles affected should only be the 2008-2009 models. I recently had my front end inspected by a commercial auto care facility (not a dealer). They could not find anything wrong. Could this sound be coming from something other than the lower control arm? Engine mounts? Intermediate steering shaft? Any help is appreciated.
There are many TSBs for different suspension issues and noises. I suggest you go through the list we have here, and print out the ones that would affect your Caliber and have the dealer apply them.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I too am going through this problem, when I went in for an oil change (and yet again, try to change my Tanny oil unsuccessfully) the dealership informed me that my tie rods were about to "fall off". I said bullocks and took it to a mechanic I trust.

They were not about to fall off, but the passenger side was "a bit loose in the socket" - so maybe this is what you are hearing as well. Pretty dismayed that suspension parts have started to fail already, at 110 000km none of my other 4-5 cars I've owned have had this happen so early.

FYI Mine is an '07 as well, SXT. I was hoping the lower control arm TSB would cover what I had but like another has said it was for 2008+

·
Registered
4 Posts
Popping/crunching noise left front

Hi everybody. This is my first post, and I wanted to share this with you. Took my wifes 2007 Caliber SXT in 2 months ago for this noise (see above title) while still under 3 year/30,000 warranty (had about 30 miles left on warranty), they replaced the tie rod ends. Still had the noise. It will at times not make a noise, so I realized the 3/30 had expired. Luckily I have the Extended Warranty and just took it back in today. Had the mechanic take a ride with me, they are replacing both lower control arms and I believe it is covered under the extended warranty (it BETTER be). I thought it may have been the strut. From what I have read on this forum I believe it will be fixed this time. Also from what I've read it's also good that they replaced the tie rods. The mechanic probably checked your forum. Will let you know tomorrow when I get the car back if this fixed the problem. Have had other issues also, and will be more than happy to share those as I read other posts. (Long winded for a newbie, but this problem was driving me nuts.)

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Hi everybody. This is my first post, and I wanted to share this with you. Took my wifes 2007 Caliber SXT in 2 months ago for this noise (see above title) while still under 3 year/30,000 warranty (had about 30 miles left on warranty), they replaced the tie rod ends. Still had the noise. It will at times not make a noise, so I realized the 3/30 had expired. Luckily I have the Extended Warranty and just took it back in today. Had the mechanic take a ride with me, they are replacing both lower control arms and I believe it is covered under the extended warranty (it BETTER be). I thought it may have been the strut. From what I have read on this forum I believe it will be fixed this time. Also from what I've read it's also good that they replaced the tie rods. The mechanic probably checked your forum. Will let you know tomorrow when I get the car back if this fixed the problem. Have had other issues also, and will be more than happy to share those as I read other posts. (Long winded for a newbie, but this problem was driving me nuts.)
The basic warranty is 3yr/36,000 miles. Having said that, if the issue was there before the warranty ran out, and wasn't fixed completely at that time, you should be covered under the original as an existing known condition. You may have to do a little fighting, but it will be worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Prop1,
Yes it had a 3/36, I was mistaken, the 3 year part of it ran out after they changed the tie rods. I went back today and picked it up, they waived the deductible due to it being a existing issue under the 3/36. I didn't have to gripe at all, I just mentioned that they were mistaken, and no problem. They said that the bushings in the lower control arms were pushed thru and it was rubbing metal on metal. It drives with no noise, Woo! Thanks for your reply, I would have argued all day if they were ready to give me any crap. It's one of 3 vehicles I own and I have a hard time remembering which vehicle went bad right near the warranty expiration. I'm a happy camper now, and since it's the wife's car, she will be too. The mechanic said he thinks it was due to bad streets, pot-holes (we have ALOT around here), and said it could have been a bad design. I have 4 years left under extended, so if it does it again, I will be sending a letter to someone that may care at Dodge.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Prop1,
Yes it had a 3/36, I was mistaken, the 3 year part of it ran out after they changed the tie rods. I went back today and picked it up, they waived the deductible due to it being a existing issue under the 3/36. I didn't have to gripe at all, I just mentioned that they were mistaken, and no problem. They said that the bushings in the lower control arms were pushed thru and it was rubbing metal on metal. It drives with no noise, Woo! Thanks for your reply, I would have argued all day if they were ready to give me any crap. It's one of 3 vehicles I own and I have a hard time remembering which vehicle went bad right near the warranty expiration. I'm a happy camper now, and since it's the wife's car, she will be too. The mechanic said he thinks it was due to bad streets, pot-holes (we have ALOT around here), and said it could have been a bad design. I have 4 years left under extended, so if it does it again, I will be sending a letter to someone that may care at Dodge.
Well, at least you didn't spend any money. That's a good thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've read a number of posts concerning the clunking that people have heard coming from the front suspension of the Calibers. The cause of this noise is that the lower control arm bolts are below specification. In other words the wrong size bolts. When you strike a bump, brake and/or accelerate quickly this will shift the Lower control arms and cause the clunk. The problem is that the more you drive the worst the cluck will become as this will start to bend and distort the control arms and/or bolts. If this is the case you will need to have both arms replaced. I just had this done, however most dealership will write you off as an idiot, shop around for a good one.

Good luck
Samurai-SRT4
Do you happen to know the correct size bolt the front lower control arms should have? I meed to change mine before it gets any worse. Trying to sell a car that clunks is not possible. I have had the entire front end replaced. Everything and it clunks when accelerating braking ect like you said. Of course the same factory bolts were used to replace everything. I have searched and searched for the correct size bolt numbers. No luck. Thank you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts