Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill start off at the beginning. I own a 2008 CSRT4. I am known on a first name basis at my local dealership because of my caliber. A month or so ago I brought my SRT in for a 30,000 mile checkup. I wasnt sure what the car needed if anything, such as a timeing chain/belt or whatever it may need at 30k miles. When I went in, they asked if I wanted them to change this and that here and there and I told them "look, im kinda low on the cash side right now, so please only do what Dodge says is REQUIRED at 30k miles for maintenance. ONLY what is required." So I wait for an hour or so and I get paged to the front to pick up the bill. I was charged for new spark plugs and a manual transmission fluid change. I wasnt sure about the spark plugs but i KNOW a manual tranny does not need fluid for atleast 100k miles so I know that an $80 charge is bull. I paid it but I left pretty pissed off. I later looked at the SRT maintenance book and it says the Caliber SRT does not need its spark plugs replaced for 100K miles because it has iridium spark plugs from the factory. Now I was pissed and called up my dealer to ask wtf was all this about. they said because I had the mopar stage 1 kit in my car, it bumps the tranny fluid and sparks plugs both conveniently to 30k miles so I was due for it.

Now ever since they changed my spark plugs, I noticed my car wasnt starting right, it was taking an extra second or 2 more than it use to. Well tonight, I am SSSOOOOO pissed. My car would not start at all! IT ONLY HAS 34k MILES ON THE ENGINE!! WTF! It was cranking over and over for like 30 seconds before I gave up. I let it sit for about 1/2 an hour (luckly i had no where important to be right then) and gave it another shot and after about trying 3 or so times after a long crank it finally started up. I wanna say WTF and what do you guys think? Coincidence? I am going to a different local dealer on monday and telling them "your my new dealer, im not going there any more, but fix it."

It was so embarrassing, I was just bragging about how nice my car is to everyone at the party I was at. How its so fast for a practically stock car and how reliabel it is, and it goes and does this. I am so heated right now. My 1992 Dodge Stealth doesnt do this to me at 115k miles.......

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
The owner's manual will give you the recommended change interval for parts and fluids. If you don't have one go to Dodge.com and download a free one.

Yes - it sounds like your original dealer may have messed something up.

30K does sound right for a plug change, I think manual trans fluid is 60K.

Plugs are a DIY item on this car. Fluids can be too - if you have an easy way to get under the car and (ramps or the like) and an off street work area.

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
I'm betting that they put the wrong plugs in your Caliber. Pull one out and see if it's a Champion copper core plug. If so, someone really screwed up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
that sucks big time man. hope it gets all worked out. i hate going to the dealer. my sunroof drain tubes were clogged and i had an underboost code and they couldn't tell me why. then they said my intercooler pipes were aftermarket bc i painted them purple!

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
then they said my intercooler pipes were aftermarket bc i painted them purple!
HA! this is good, I love it when dealers do stuff like this.

I dont know about the 6-spd in the SRT, but on my 1.8L 5-spd it says that the fluid doesnt even need to be changed unless your either towing or using it for taxi, police, delivery, services or heavy loading. And even then it says the interval is 48k. Other than that I cant seem to find a reccomended change interval.

·
Registered
145 Posts
yeah i argued with them then when they pissed me off and was going to void my warranty for it i took it off and showed them the sticker on the bottom that had the part number they shut up. i loved when they were like "Well our certified tech said it was aftermarket so it has to be"

·
Registered
308 Posts
It is of course possible that the problem you have starting your car is not related to the simple work that they did on your car. Perhaps just a bad sensor. Spark plugs are pretty straight forward on this car. If indeed they put the wrong plugs in, that would be a pretty outrageous rookie mistake.

I am concerned that wrong plugs could be causing such a severe problem. It would mean something kind of bad about the incomplete combustion I guess fowling things up. Would that be the turbo? The converter? Yikes. This sounds ugly if that is really what is going on.

Please keep us all informed dude.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Bad plugs can cause an expensive problems. I'm almost certain that Turbo engines need diffrent plugs than a naturally aspirated engine due to the higher combustion chamber temps/pressures. But that would definatly be something the dealer would be resposible for.

Frank does raise a good point though, it could be a coincidence. I have a 90 Bronco II that fried an ignition module and a few injectors in the same week!

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
You've been had.

Your tranny doesn't require new fluids because you have MS1. That's baloney.

Also, you didn't HAVE to change plugs. But for MS1, they had to be regaped.

Check my sig for highly-recommended plugs.

Available at Amazon, RT and MPx.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks mouser, my new spark plugs are not gapped differently from factory either. When I get some spare cash I am gonna buy those ones you recommended.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks mouser, my new spark plugs are not gapped differently from factory either. When I get some spare cash I am gonna buy those ones you recommended.
I didnt see the plugs mentioned in Mouser's sig, but I'm assuming hes referencing: NGK BKR6EIX plugs, which there are two types, BKR6EIX and BKR6EIX-11, get the BKR6EIX (NOT -11) the 11's are gapped at .042 the other is .032 which is pretty much right where you want it. I gapped mine down to .030 because I have increased my boost higher that ms1 levels. They should only cost 30 dollars, available at most auto stores, I would get them asap.

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
Mouser is running the same plug as you spitsnaugel (BPR6EIX) but his are gapped at .025. If you just click on the word Detail in his signature, you can find all of his specs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts