Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
Dodge Caliber SXT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a smell as we pulled into the drive yesterday and when I opened the hood there was a little smoke coming up from the back of the engine. It was running fine, no engine light or rough idling. I checked the fluids and everything looked ok. Any ideas what might be leaking back there? This car has been a trooper but I fear she’s almost done for. I’ve done ALOT of fixing her the last couple of years but at 220,000 I’m about to give up after this…
Wood Motor vehicle Auto part Metal Wire
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system

· Registered
601 Posts
Looks like a leaking valve cover gasket. I'd degrease/powerwash that area, then take it for a couple drives to get a better look at where the leak is coming from.

If it's just a little leak from where that bolt is, snug it down just a bit (1/4 turn) to see if that stops it.

If that doesn't help, and it is leaking from the gasket, just replace it. Cheap part, kinda a pain to replace, dirty job, but DIYer do-able.

*You'll want to get the torque on these bolts spot on, or you risk another leak and/or squishing the gasket out of position.

—On another note, from the pictures, it looks like the heat shield (past the O² sensor) is touching the exhaust. You may want to check than and see why. Having the two dissimilar metals touching, with the high heat, will accelerate rusting. 👍

1 - 2 of 2 Posts