Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the passenger side of the engine, 2.0l SXT 2009, I noted a slight sweating which looks like oil. I've got 90000k on the car.
It is at the bottom part of the engine, down and back from the crankshaft pulley.
No oil loss from what I can tell.
Up from and in front of the oil pan so it would surprise me that it is the gasket.
Does anyone have any ideas? I will be taking it in to the dealer as the warranty may cover this if the front seal is the cause but I would like to be prepared.
Is it possible that oil from the filter is running back?

Thanks

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
If you're not seeing a spot on the ground; then keep a eye on it, but right now it could be anything and nothing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I am seeing the dealer tomorrow but a Napa Auto Centre took a look and, get this, the timing chain cover gasket is leaking! Possibly a big job.
At the same time they discovered a right boot leaking!! Oh yeah, the dome flashlight is no longer working and there is condensation in one of the taillights. Can it get any worse?
I still have 10000km to go on the extended warranty and will post my experience with the dealer tomorrow. I am not an optimist right now.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
If the extended warranty was supplied by Chrysler, and you are going to a Chrysler dealer, you should do OK. Yes - you will have to pay a "deductable" (equal to a few hundred US dollars), but Chrysler will cover the bulk of the cost.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
That condensation in the tail light is quite common. I had it in mine and see a LOT of Calibers with it. I took mine out and sealed it with some silicone.

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
I wonder if the "leakage" could be oil from when the filter gets changed. Not as likely in this case if the person doing the oil change is careful enough.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, good news, I guess. The extended warranty paid for repairs to leakage both from the timing chain cover and the oil pan. In addition, since they kept the car overnight and I leased from Enterprise, the warranty covered the second day's rental. All around a good deal for me but I had paid $870 in 2009 for the coverage. No deductible either. No luck with the taillight condensation or the flashlight. Both minor issues in any case and the warranty does not cover these items.
Now why did the leaks occur?? I'm curious.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to add that the Tech advisor at Dodge mentioned that they had seen another Cali this month with the timing chain cover leaks. It had about 140000k though.
Coincidence? I think not.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Leakage causes - loose bolts, bad gaskets, both are typical problems.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Problem with the tail light is just crappy assembly at the factory, I guess. I just find it strange that every Caliber I've seen with moisture in a tail light is on the drivers side. Maybe someone at the factory isn't doing their job as well as the person assembling the passenger side lights. Damned if I know!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had the same problem with seepage around the timing cover and oil pan. I just tightened the oil pan bolts (most were almost loose enough to turn by hand) and cleaned the area up. Haven't had any issues since. Glad yours was under warranty, it's nice to get things fixed without getting your hands dirty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I went into Dofgr to get my transmission fluid changed on my 08sxt cvt they claimed the timing cover gasket was leaking and said it would be over 1k in labor to repair. My friend said that is bullshit oil would be dripping but now I see this. What's the worst that could happen if I don't fix it? Just fix later?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts