Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched this forum top to bottom and wasn't able to find a thread similar to my problem so I am desperately seeking your help.

My girlfriend has a 2007 SVT auto, 4cyl, power everything.The other morning she got in her car to go to work and it wouldn't start.

When you turn the key to start the car (and your foot is on the brake), there is a noticeable click sound coming from the base of the shifter. Each turn of the key cause a corresponding click in the shifter assembly. There is zero starter or engine activity, the electrical signal to start the car doesn't seem to be leaving the cockpit. I don't hear the fuel pump, but i don't believe I've ever noticed it when starting this car.

Here is what i know:

When you don't have your foot on the brake and try to start the car, the clicking doesn't happen.

The shifter operates without any noticeable problems. I can shift into any gear and tried starting the car in neutral, which didn't work.

I tried giggling the shifter as I turned the key, in hopes that some switch or relay wasn't activating, but this did nothing.

I tried disconnecting the battery and using different car keys. No difference.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
No such thing as a SVT, so I assume you mean SXT. The click you hear is normal and is the solenoid releasing the shifter lock. The fact that it doesn't do it if your foot is off the brake means all is working properly. Based on the limited info you give (I assume the battery has been checked and is not dead), then it's very possible this is another SKREEM issue. That's the electronics in the steering wheel that read the code of the key when you try to start the car. When they go bad; there's no starting the car. There is a temporary fix that will keep it going and need repeating from time to time. Disconnect the negative cable on the battery and reconnect it at the same time as someone inside the car turns the key to start it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, the model is a SXT and the battery is find. I will try the advise you provided and get back to you...

·
Super Moderator
12,256 Posts
it's very possible this is another SKWEEM issue. That's the electronics in the steering wheel that read the code of the key when you try to start the car.
If you want to research the problem then it is SKREEM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts