Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:

So, this morning I couldn't shift the lever from "P" to "R" despite putting my foot on the brake (like always). I could start the car though. After trying this a few times, I decided to pull hand (emergency) brake up and put it back down and I was able to shift the lever. I don't use the hand brake at all because I park on a flat ground. I can't understand the logic behind this. Is this a cause for concern? Has anyone encountered this before? By the way, the temperature was 24 deg F, if this helps.

Any comment is appreciate.

lNd

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I'd take it to the dealer if it happens again. If it does, as the manual states, there is a finger size cutout on the center column on the passenger side. Pry the cover off, and use your finger to push the manual release button.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Hello all:

So, this morning I couldn't shift the lever from "P" to "R" despite putting my foot on the brake (like always). I could start the car though. After trying this a few times, I decided to pull hand (emergency) brake up and put it back down and I was able to shift the lever. I don't use the hand brake at all because I park on a flat ground. I can't understand the logic behind this. Is this a cause for concern? Has anyone encountered this before? By the way, the temperature was 24 deg F, if this helps.

Any comment is appreciate.

lNd
The shift lever is held in place by a locking pawl/solenoid which is in turn
actuated by a switch on the brake assy.Could be the switch is gone/loose
or the solenoid needs adjustment.The small round access hole in the
passengers footwell side of the hump when removed will let you move/unlock
the solenoid manually.There is also a cable interface from ignition assy to the
shift mechanism that may require adjustment.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Geez Brad you beat me to it!!
That's what I get for being longwinded.lol

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You have your answer, just wanted to add that I do use my handbrake out of habit (all my cars were manual), never had any issue to the shift lever, and I might have even moved the car with the handbrake engaged (oops)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
i don't know about these cvt's... but it's always been a good idea to use your handbrake when parked to save the tranny.
The Caliber is my first automatic tranny, but I remember reading that those with automatics who park on a slight slope using park only tend to bind their tranny in place. From habit with my stick shifts, I engage my handbrake before sliding the shifter into park (when I do remember to put it in park...another bad habit from my stick shift, I try to remove the key while still in drive)

·
Registered
433 Posts
i agree and disagree with you JOJO . The advantage of using the parking break are...yes it does save wear on the park pin in the tranny...the downside of using the handbreak is we all expeirience the cold...well most of us...it can cause the e-brake to freeze...when its not cold the cable will eventually become stretched and need to be replaced...hence the name EMERGENCY BREAK...unless your like me and like to drift a little:naughty:.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Over 30 years of cars and trucks, majority of them I kept for at least 6 to 10 years, always used my e-brake since they were stick shift, never had any of them freeze on me, and I might have adjusted one once.
The only issue I found were those people who rarely use the e-brake, then try to.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Over 30 years of cars and trucks, majority of them I kept for at least 6 to 10 years, always used my e-brake since they were stick shift, never had any of them freeze on me, and I might have adjusted one once.
The only issue I found were those people who rarely use the e-brake, then try to.
I agree. It's a habit from my manual days, and I have never had an issue either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
same problem here I have a 2008 caliber sxt 24000km, did you resolve the issue? I called a towe truck to bring me to the dealership and he showed me the manual release for the solenoid

My problem is I need my car for a few days before bringing in to the dealership will using this manual release cause further problems?

Please Help!

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Using the manual release won't hurt anything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts