Dodge Caliber Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Cool. Litesong, what I am saying you can't say one way or the other about each and every situation, Have seatbelts saved lives NO QUESTION YES! Have they killed people or trapped people who ended up dying YES! There are 2 ways about it no question.

My point is UNLIKE speeding which could kill someone else, you not having your seatbelt on is NOT going to kill anyone else. That is why I think others should have their choice. My choice remains to wear it and anyone I care about I want to wear it too but if they choose NOT to I cant make them. MY BEST friend doesnt wear one and he ride a motorcycle (With a helmet) and he is an ADULT and he will pay his fines for not wearing one until he dies, I just hope its NOT because of not wearing a seatbelt.

·
Dodge Caliber Forums
4,970 Posts
Talk here is free. Testifying in hearings & lobbying against or for laws...that's where the rubber really meets the road. Make sure when you testify that you don't waste senators', representatives', & experts' time. All your arguments were given decades ago. You'll have to work hard to overturn all the state laws for seatbelts & helmets.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Talk here is free. Testifying in hearings & lobbying against or for laws...that's where the rubber really meets the road. Make sure when you testify that you don't waste senators', representatives', & experts' time. All your arguments were given decades ago. You'll have to work hard to overturn all the state laws for seatbelts & helmets.
That would be a WASTE of MY time I could care about the senators, reps time. I would not even THINK about trying to over turn those laws because I don't care enough either way. IF its a law FINE, if it ever becomes a suggestion I will STILL wear my seatbelt. This is my opinion on the matter not my political stand AGAINST the law. There are MUCH bigger fish to fry than THIS. LOL

·
Registered
199 Posts
huh... someone say FISH FRY????!!! I'm in!
Seriously tho, pretty much all the bases have been covered and so I won't break out MY soapbox, just felt like throwing my 2 pennies in...
Weather or not anyone else wears em doesn't effect me too much... or wait...
often someone willing to "scoff" one law (wearing the belt) is willing to "scoff" several...(no license, no insurance, etc) and so when that person ends up in the ER with life threatening injuries and has no insurance of any kind to foot the bill, guess what. We the taxpayers (and payers of insurance premiums) are kind enough to add to the pot. Of couse that could be said for many things under the sun but if the law can help keep my rates down by mandating that EVERYONE (can't pick and choose, "you pay for insurance so you don't have to wear yours but he doesn't so he has to") wear em, I guess I'm all for it. Yeah, I come off a bit cynical and mean, but really, I do care. (damn it, how did that soap box get down there.)
:wavey:

·
Z ADDICT
3,195 Posts
Lets take a quick overview of this thread. Post #1 a question was asked, post #8 the question was answered. The remaining post we talked about politics, law, personal preferences and a fish fry. Who said we do not have a good time here.

·
Dodge Caliber Forums
4,970 Posts
Poking around senatorial & congressional offices, lobbying on issues, writing letters about issues that mean a lot to us, & working to be a representative in your precinct caucus are our greatest freedoms in America. Except for the caucus, ANYONE can do it....even those who are not of legal voting age. Senators & representatives will see you & even your kids on issues that are important. Meeting your representatives close up & personal is a great way to see your government in action. If you like voting, you'll love writing & talking to representatives.

Much has been said here that got quite passionate about subjects & laws governing those subjects. Here, you don't have much leverage...its just talk with friends. Talking with your representatives(& representatives who represent other constituents) is important & gets things done if you follow through.

Some people think it is important to take their kids to see capitol or capital domes, & the Washington & Lincoln memorials. Better if you take your kids to talk with your representatives about issues that are important to you. Then the kids will really see America at work.

Waste of your time? Its no waste, when people are living today because of laws you helped to create. Its no waste of time taking action to change things for the better in America...you have the right. Some people say you have the duty to fight for your country. I say you have the duty to work for your country.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It would be a waste of my time to go to a congressman's office to tell him I think that people should have the right to choose if they want to wear a seatbelt or not BECAUSE I do not feel THAT strongly about it. I don't know how much time you have on your hands during the times the congressman would be in his office but I work 2 jobs total of 13 hours a day 4 days a week and the other 3 I have my daughter at 5 when I get out of my full time job.

Per your suggestion I should take a vacation day OR write a letter about something I DO NOT feel very strongly about just to WORK for my country? I dont think so.

·
Dodge Caliber Forums
4,970 Posts
As you see from my last post, I posted generically & not to dcjredline in particular & no specific subject was mentioned upon which to approach your representatives.....only that the U.S. gives all U.S. citizens the right to petition their government on any subject. Also, no mention was made as to how much you should petition. That you, dcjredline, do not NEED to petition your government is a blessing to you. Billions on this planet would LOVE to petition their government for redress without incurring consequences, but cannot.

In the U.S. that has a hard time getting people to vote, I'm pointing out that far more than voting can be done if one NEEDS to address their government.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I was looking at a website about license plates, and read an article from Indianapolis WTHR 13 and found this:
"Meanwhile the Senate passed a bill Thursday requiring everyone to wear seat belts in Indiana, including those traveling in SUV's and pickup trucks. The bill already passed out of the House but was changed in the Senate so now it will have to go back to the House for consideration before it can go to the governor for his signature." Does this mean that it has been OK to be in an SUV or pick-up without a seatbelt on?! How odd.
http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=6267515&nav=9Tai

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cali owners.......just because you want the seat belt not to beep, doesn't mean you are not going to wear it! Last time I checked we live in america, I appreciate the concern for my well being but just as long as I don't put anyone else in jeopardy, I think its my god given right not to wear one.........p.s. for those of you who want to turn the noise off, the owners manual gives you the instructions to do so, and they work.

·
Registered
604 Posts
cali owners,,,,just because you want the seat belt not to beep doesn't mean you are not going to wear it! Last time I checked we live in america, I appreciate the concern for my well being but just as long as I don't put anyone elxe in jepordy, I think its my god given right not to wear one.........p.s. for those of you who want to turn the noise off, the owners manuel gives you the instructions to do so and they work.
As you stated, you live in America, where it is your god given duty to follow the laws of the country/state in which you reside in. And don't try and say laws are not god given when laws were based from Christian values and such.

It amazes me what people claim to be their "god given rights", god didn't guarantee you any rights, your government does, and I do not see anything within the 10 commandments or the constitution regarding seat belts.

·
Registered
168 Posts
cali owners,,,,just because you want the seat belt not to beep doesn't mean you are not going to wear it! Last time I checked we live in america, I appreciate the concern for my well being but just as long as I don't put anyone elxe in jepordy, I think its my god given right not to wear one.........p.s. for those of you who want to turn the noise off, the owners manuel gives you the instructions to do so and they work.
The problem is...

When you are injured in an accident my insurance rates go up because of your irresponsibility. So by exercising your "God given right" you're not allowing me to exercise my "God given right" to keep as much of my money as possible.

I personally don't care what you do to yourself-eat trans fats, allow yourself to get obese, smoke, don't wear a seat belt, don't wear a motorcycle helmet, etc. But, when you have an accident I'm the one who will pay for your families food stamps because you can no longer work and feed them. I'm the one who will pay higher health insurance rates because of your irresponsible behavior. I'm the one who pays for your families welfare because you're now handicapped or just so unhealthy that you are no longer productive.

I much prefer to see laws limiting your behavior rather than your behaviour removing my money.

·
Premium Member
10,257 Posts
Cali owners.......just because you want the seat belt not to beep, doesn't mean you are not going to wear it!
As you stated, you live in America, where it is your god given duty to follow the laws of the country/state in which you reside in. And don't try and say laws are not god given when laws were based from Christian values and such.

It amazes me what people claim to be their "god given rights", god didn't guarantee you any rights, your government does, and I do not see anything within the 10 commandments or the constitution regarding seat belts.
In all fairness, buckward is right. Removing the alarm doesn't mean you won't use it, although that annoying sound makes sure that you do. For that reason, even though I always use my seat belt, that alarm will stay on just as a reminder. No need to bring religion into this debate, let who ever wants to not wear their seatbelt, cross their fingers and pray!!!!....LOL!

·
The Organizer
15,141 Posts
Not to be an ass, but if and a when non-seatbelt wearing person gets in an accident that deploys the airbags; I hope their injuries are minor, or kills them outright. I don't want my tax dollars going to keep an invalid alive that could have lived a productive life after the accident had that person simply wore a seatbelt. Good enough for race cars, good enough for the family car.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Not to be an ass, but if and a when non-seatbelt wearing person gets in an accident that deploys the airbags; I hope their injuries are minor, or kills them outright. I don't want my tax dollars going to keep an invalid alive that could have lived a productive life after the accident had that person simply wore a seatbelt. Good enough for race cars, good enough for the family car.
I would like to see a poll done on those who choose not to wear seat belts. When buying a car, how many used the safety rating as a decision factor? Those numbers would be very interesting to see, and I have a feeling it would prove to be comedic irony at its best.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts