Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. i love my seat belt.. and i value my safety.. but i really dont need to wear it just to ride down the street to the store.. This alarm is killing me smalls!!

so id appreciate it if someone can tel me how to disconnect the belt alarm.. thnx.

·
The Organizer
15,141 Posts
hi. i love my seat belt.. and i value my safety.. but i really dont need to wear it just to ride down the street to the store.. This alarm is killing me smalls!!

so id appreciate it if someone can tel me how to disconnect the belt alarm.. thnx.
The way to disable the alarm is to wear your seatbelt. It's against the law to disable it any other way.

By the way, both my wife and me have been in separate accidents in the past 5 years. Both happened within a mile of our house. We were both glad we were wearing our seatbelts, especially since airbags without seatbelts can cause major injuries.;)

P.S. ps-amazon is from the Netherlands, their laws and manuals are different.

·
The Organizer
15,141 Posts
our law is identical: you must use the seatbelt, so why should our manual be different?
They are. Even the Canadian manual is different. The manual has to reflect the local laws of a given country, as well as changes to the car to accommodate these laws, and languages.

·
Registered
297 Posts
No seat belt law in New Hampshire, Live free or Die! umm, or is that Live Free and Die? (by not wearing one?) seriously though, we dont have a seatbelt law (at least for adults) I turned the alert off on my previous car, a focus (manual said how to as well) Saw the same deal with the Caliber, and actually tried it but, big surprise, much like the honk on lock disable, it didnt work. actually the car detects the belt being buckled not by the buckle, as one would expect, but in the retraction mechanism, I was buckiling and unbuckling, but not moving the belt. didnt work. Been too lazy to try it again, and I'm actually wearing my belt, man the Caliber has an annoying belt reminder! Safety first, I guess. Gotta say though it does bug me how most states have a law about that. what difference does it make If I want to risk my life by not wearing one? its highly doubtful my not wearing one will put other motorists in danger..Stupid LAW if you ask me, it should be your choice! Before I get flamed here, I wear my belt, ALL THE TIME in no seatbelt required New Hampshire

rmurad38

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I agree with you too rmurad (Although I wear mine 100% too) for 2 reasons.

1. I think it should be someones own choice if they want to take the risk or not.

2 How come someone can ride a motorcycle and have a safety device LAWS but when they get into a CAGE of METAL weighing 3k lbs they have to restrain themselves?

Its stupid really to REQUIRE people to do that. I will always and I hope my daughter does (Her mom doesnt but she has soooo many other problems that a seatbelt is the LEAST OF THEM! :4-looney:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
i can not believe im even reading any of this....goes to show how ignorant people really are...i could go on and on about why you should wear your seat belt..but why would i when i think we are all mature enough to understand why we have one in the car and why we should wear one....i had a friend tell me..."i dont feel as cool with it on" NEWS FLASH...A GIRL IS NOT MORE LIKELY TO SLEEP WITH YOU CAUSE YOU HAVE YOUR BELT OFF! SHE DOES NOT THINK YOU ARE COOL! i know there are many other reasons why some of you feel it should be your personal choice but its as easy as SAFETY FOR YOU
SAFETY FOR YOUR PASSENGERS
SAFETY FOR THE OTHER DRIVERS ON THE ROAD
not to mention car insurance rates.......
no i have never lost anyone in a accident but i cant imagine losing somebody cause they didnt wear their seatbelt.....how hard is it? why is it even a topic of discussion? its 2007 people....i think we know why we wear them

sorry to sound like a cop but ive been in too many accidents (which none of them were my fault) and if it wasnt for my seatbelt i would probably be dead....so to hear people say..."im just driving down the street and the seat belt alarm is annoying how can i turn it off" is just disturbing....10 mile drive, 1 mile drive or just around the block...you can be struck at anytime...but i hope we already have enough common sense to already know that but by some of the posts im not to sure......:4-looney:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
i can not believe im even reading any of this....goes to show how ignorant people really are...i could go on and on about why you should wear your seat belt..but why would i when i think we are all mature enough to understand why we have one in the car and why we should wear one....i had a friend tell me..."i dont feel as cool with it on" NEWS FLASH...A GIRL IS NOT MORE LIKELY TO SLEEP WITH YOU CAUSE YOU HAVE YOUR BELT OFF! SHE DOES NOT THINK YOU ARE COOL! i know there are many other reasons why some of you feel it should be your personal choice but its as easy as SAFETY FOR YOU
SAFETY FOR YOUR PASSENGERS
SAFETY FOR THE OTHER DRIVERS ON THE ROAD
not to mention car insurance rates.......
no i have never lost anyone in a accident but i cant imagine losing somebody cause they didnt wear their seatbelt.....how hard is it? why is it even a topic of discussion? its 2007 people....i think we know why we wear them

sorry to sound like a cop but ive been in too many accidents (which none of them were my fault) and if it wasnt for my seatbelt i would probably be dead....so to hear people say..."im just driving down the street and the seat belt alarm is annoying how can i turn it off" is just disturbing....10 mile drive, 1 mile drive or just around the block...you can be struck at anytime...but i hope we already have enough common sense to already know that but by some of the posts im not to sure......:4-looney:
My sentiments exactly:(

If it helps to make your mind up Mr Galaxy, I just drove around the block a few years back, the car slid on loose gravel on the road (a truck spilled it just minutes prior), we hit the wall at 37 miles/h (60km/h). I woke up in the hospital the next day, lip torn off, minus a tooth, knee badly bashed and my friend almost lost his eye when he hit the windscreen.:shakehead:

We were just going around the block, traveling within the speed limit, none of us thought we needed to wear our seat belts.:i_rolleyes:

I now put it on when I back out the garage, even if I have to get out again to close the gate.

Let them make their own choice, provided its an informed one.

Enjoy:4-sunshine:

·
Dodge Caliber Forums
4,970 Posts
I compiled great data showing the effectiveness of mandatory motorcycle helmet laws decades ago. Then worked with a Washington State Senator & lobbied strongly for mandatory motorcycle laws. Testified in numerous Washington State hearings for helmet laws & seat belt laws. My motivation (along with many others) was compassion...the State's motivation was to cut the costs of injured cycle & car accident victims.

Many say it should be a matter of freedom NOT to wear helmets & seatbelts. With freedom comes responsibility. If you are going any speed that can hurt or kill you, you have to protect yourself.

As an accident victim, you have the easy job...to die or be seriously injured. Friends, relatives & many others have the hard job...to pick up the pieces of their lives & pay for your neglectful inactions after you needlessly die.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
An incident I recall because I thought "you'd never think", gentleman not too far from home, no seatbelt gets T'd by car involved in a police chase on the passenger side. Probably would have survived with a belt. You may be a great driver, close to home, but it's the OTHER guy that's going to do you in!

I won't even go into having to be with families in the ICU explaining what all of the tubes and drains are doing, why all the bags of fluids and why he's unrecognizable from all the swelling, and yes, there's a good possibility he can hear you, he just can't respond. Those families suffer unimaginable pain. Doubly so if it was caused by a willful act of ignorance. Don't be ignorant. I know your young and invincible. Just give in on this one, ok?!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
An incident I recall because I thought "you'd never think", gentleman not too far from home, no seatbelt gets T'd by car involved in a police chase on the passenger side. Probably would have survived with a belt. You may be a great driver, close to home, but it's the OTHER guy that's going to do you in!

I won't even go into having to be with families in the ICU explaining what all of the tubes and drains are doing, why all the bags of fluids and why he's unrecognizable from all the swelling, and yes, there's a good possibility he can hear you, he just can't respond. Those families suffer unimaginable pain. Doubly so if it was caused by a willful act of ignorance. Don't be ignorant. I know your young and invincible. Just give in on this one, ok?!
:i_rolleyes: knew this was gonna be posted. There are hundreds of these and the OPPOSITE stories out there so don't start that one. (Not being a dick to you either just making a point) there are "Would have died if i had my seat belt" stories too.

I am one (BUT as I stated before I wear mine 100% of the time) I got lucky once and we FLIPPED a van in the nasty Upstate NY weather early morning delivering the morning paper went off the road and hit a burm and the van went about 30 feet into the deep grass and we landed on the roof, it was about 1.5 hours before anyone saw us WALKING down the road looking for help at 4am. If we had our belts on and got slammed upside down ya never know if we would have hurt something internal and sat there UPSIDE down and died.

·
The Organizer
15,141 Posts
A rollover is an exception, not the rule. Even in todays cars, the government has mandated stronger roof pillars to protect occupants in rollovers. Look at the pillars on our Calibers. Just like NASCAR drivers, we are safer with seatbelts, than without.:)

·
Dodge Caliber Forums
4,970 Posts
Hi dcjredline....Your testimony is similar to some of the anti-seatbelt people & anti-helmet law testimonies by the biker crowd in our Washington State hearings. You survived your accident without a seatbelt, so you assume you would have died with a seatbelt. In your accident, you probably would have lived with your seatbelt on also. The data is irrefutable that seatbelts & helmets save lives.

You say there are hundreds of stories that seatbelts would have killed people. There are TEN THOUSANDS of stories where seatbelts & helmets save people. When you run out of stories, I'll still have many days of stories proving the worth of seatbelts & helmets. My two stories are here.

On a snowy mountain pass a car in the oncoming lane went sideways in front of me & slide into my lane. I T-boned it with my car. Seatbelts saved both my passenger & me, keeping my passenger from going thru the front window & me from impaling myself on the steering wheel. The smashing deceleration of the accident broke 3 of my passenger's ribs. My passenger remembers the visual image of the T-boned car & my collapsing car front. I remember the T-boned car hitting us & the great force of our smashing deceleration (45mile per second speed down to zero in a 1.5 foot length of space). With our seatbelts holding us off the collapsing instrument panel, the pressure felt like a giant squeezed us breathless for one thirtieth of a second & released us.

While motorcycling on one of the back roads locally, a car pulled out in front of me. I hit the brakes & maneuvered to avoid the car. I missed the car but was flipped off the cycle. Landing heavily on my side & helmet, I was knocked out for 3 days. I had sustained a multiple broken jaw despite my full-face helmet, & was solid black & blue from my left outside ankle all the way to my left shoulder. Without my helmet my jaw would have been taken off my face. But that is OK, since I would have been dead.

·
The Organizer
15,141 Posts
I might add. I've read of many rollovers where the only occupant killed was the one not wearing a seatbelt because (s)he was thrown out of the vehicle. Litesong is right, there is a 100X more evidence for seatbelt use than there is against.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
:i_rolleyes: knew this was gonna be posted. There are hundreds of these and the OPPOSITE stories out there so don't start that one. (Not being a dick to you either just making a point) there are "Would have died if i had my seat belt" stories too.
No offense taken. The real point was it happened close to home, and it was the other guy who did him in.

And the bit about the ICU. That's not hypothetical chatter. That was ME telling the families those things. You're right, we don't see the people who survived because they weren't wearing their seatbelts. Obviously they exist. Kind of like putting your money on a "sure bet". Just hope you're not betting with money you can't afford to lose.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts