Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good afternoon!

DIY - OEM 15 inch steel wheels "antirust repair".

1. After my first winter 2008-2009 i noticed my wheels had rusted where the light can come throught the plastic hubcabs. :(

2. The black paint was dull. (salt and gravel are spreaded on the roads in winter)

3. I still have 3 or 4 winters to go with these tires and i think they didn't look clean.

4. After being inspired by one gentleman on this forum that painted his aluminum wheels, i decided to try it on my own.

5. My "home recipe" is:

(a) clean up from the dirt and salt using a big sink with fresh water and car soap; plus a big rinse.

(b) complete drying with cloths and one week rest.

(c) steel wool and "elbow grease" to remove all visible rust.

(d) vacuum plus hand rubbing with clean white cloths.

(e) 3 coats of black Rust Oleum Pro can. ( Drying a fiew days between each ... i know i'm not in a rush kind of guy ;) )

(f) Finish to taste, with clear. I did my first today.

6. I used 2 cans of Rust Oleum, bright black at ~10$ each. Clear is ~6$ each.

For a total of ~32$+taxes at the popular "Orange" hardware store.

7. Three coats front of the wheel, and One coat in the back.

8. I think i will do 3 front and one back again with the clear.

9. They should still be ok when i will need new winter tires in 3-4 years.

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Good write up. Thanks.

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Nice write up Francois ! :smileup:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Final results.

Completed yesterday. My objective is to keep the rust out for at least 3 to 4 years, till i need new winter tires. Not an expensive repair. ( Took care of my lungs - painting was done in well ventilated area and outside ) :)

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Nice job, thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That's a creative idea! Went outside and took some Natural daylight pictures to give you a good opinion. Mine will be run in salt and gravel during winter so i'll put back my OEM hubcaps on. Will see in ~3 years if the repair was worth it.
Regards,

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
NO HUBS PLZ, they look so much better without them IMO

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did this on another car I had and it looked great. After the painting, I used a simple silver ring on the outer edge of the wheel, and accented that with chromed acorn style lug nuts. Gave me a sort of "retro" look while still being clean and stylish.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Good afternoon,

I'm happy to report back, that after a long winter with salt and gravel on our roads, the paint repair is holding well. The worst of the 4 has 2 small needle head mark of rust.

The picture is after using a small plastic brush in a fresh water tub to take all the sand and salt off.

If this can help the "steel wheel" community! ;)

Next year, if i see a big degradation, i will report back again. If not consider it a "holding" repair. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts