Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is AL. I"ve had my 07 RT for 10 years now. Anyone find that the rear frame rotted out. What I don't understand the car has been garage kept since day 1 and washed every time it looked dirty. Here is a pic of the frame. And the car still looks like new see pic. I am doing the work myself and I will have around $700.00 into it

·
Registered
610 Posts
Normal for Calibers, especially the 2007. Dodge extended the warranty on the front and rear subframes to 10 years due to the corrosion issues.

Check your rear bumper reinforcing bar...it's made out of the same crappy steel as the subframes. Just replaced what was left of mine on my 2010 Caliber this past spring.

·
Registered
Dodge Calibre SXT Sport CRD
47 Posts
Hi and welcome, thankfully my rear subframe is still ok (solid) at least for a while yet but I'm going to have to replace my front subframe (crossmember) this weekend lol in places it looks like your second picture.

·
Super Moderator
12,201 Posts
I run mine through the underbody car wash after every winter for peace of mind, don't know if that will preserve anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi my name is AL. I"ve had my 07 RT for 10 years now. Anyone find that the rear frame rotted out. What I don't understand the car has been garage kept since day 1 and washed every time it looked dirty. Here is a pic of the frame. And the car still looks like new see pic. I am doing the work myself and I will have around $700.00 into it View attachment 16802 View attachment 16801
I was able to replace the rear subframe on my 2011. The subframe cost me only $150 on ebay for an oem. I ended up replacing the lateral toe links and the sway bar links too, but it was still under $300 all said and done for me. I was able to get it done in under 24 hours. Then I just had to get an allignment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rear subrames are pretty easy to replace. Like previous person said parts are on ebay. I recommend also buying the hardware kit because the bolts rust away as well. Check all other rear suspension parts at the same time. Toe links, control arms. Air tools are recommend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I run mine through the underbody car wash after every winter for peace of mind, don't know if that will preserve anything.
What will help is to buy some roof tar I was told by a co-worker and get up under there and smooth it around the sub-frame which sounds like a good idea now what I don't know if the tar will absorb the water /moisture .

·
Registered
610 Posts
What will help is to buy some roof tar I was told by a co-worker and get up under there and smooth it around the sub-frame which sounds like a good idea now what I don't know if the tar will absorb the water /moisture .
It's not a good idea to apply any kind of "permanent" undercoating on a car, as that will hold moisture against the steel and actually make a car rust out faster. Better thing to use is something like Fluid Film or some bar-and-chain oil...something that provides a non-permanent layer of protection. You have to reapply it annually but it'll stop the rust.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's not a good idea to apply any kind of "permanent" undercoating on a car, as that will hold moisture against the steel and actually make a car rust out faster. Better thing to use is something like Fluid Film or some bar-and-chain oil...something that provides a non-permanent layer of protection. You have to reapply it annually but it'll stop the rust.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Chris.
It's been almost 2 years since I did the front subframe on the Caliber and I haven't apply anything to it.I just put a brand new starter on Tuesday 1/13/2021 I had already knew that was going and had bought the starter 2 weeks ago so I never got around to doing the rear subframe as of yet.Do you think Flex Seal would be good for the subframes he also told me about that the car is a 2007 Dodege Caliber 2.0 SXT with 128+miles on it I don't think the subframe will rust like that again before it's time for me to scrap the car.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Flex Seal? Absolutely not! Like I said, nothing that's a permanent coating that can trap moisture against the steel subframe. New Englanders often undercoat with used motor oil, bar & chain oil is thicker but needs to be thinned with kerosene to make it sprayable, or you can use what I use...Fluid Film or Wool Wax.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts