Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I literally just found this forum so if I inadvertently break any rules let me know. I have a 2012 Dodge Caliber that I just bought a dash cam for. The cam needs to be connected to the car's fuse box, which to my knowledge is in the engine compartment. How can I run the necessary wire from the dash cam to engine compartment to access the fuse box? Is there anywhere to plug it in inside the cabin, or will I have to run the wires into the engine compartment? And how?

Thank you,
C.

·
Registered
710 Posts
There are a number of holes in the firewall that separates the engine compartment from the passenger compartment...you could fish the wire through any number of them to get to the fuse box (called the Totally Integrated Power Module or TIPM). I'll warn you now though that messing with the TIPM can cause all sorts of problems...it's a computerized fuse box and generally doesn't take kindly to anything non-OEM being done to the electrical system.

Having said that, consider mooching power off of the cigarette lighter's 12V line instead (using an inline fuse between it and the camera). I'll wager the camera wants switched power and the power outlet is a switched device.

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts
Fused supply surely rather than 'fusebox' - Chinese?
I have a dashcam and a 3 way power splitter from the outlet/cigarette lighter, the plug has a fuse.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Fused supply surely rather than 'fusebox' - Chinese?
Fuse box is a totally legitimate term. You say you're in London...is that England or Ontario Canada?

I have a dashcam and a 3 way power splitter from the outlet/cigarette lighter, the plug has a fuse.
It sounds like the OP's dashcam doesn't have a plug and is looking for a hard-wired switched power connection. And most plugs sold here in North America don't have built-in fuses...I know it's a requirement in the UK but not here.

·
Registered
676 Posts
You can buy fused 12V plugs that plug into the 12V socket for less than $5 bucks on Amazon. Just used one for my CB in my offroad rig.

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts
Yes UK/EU, & plug fuse is a requirement.
Fused plugs are available online if not the default.

Multi - adapters do get in the way sometimes, like seat slider for flat loading.

Even if hard-wired for one accessory it's still easier to connect a fused terminal to the front or back of the power outlet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts