Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started up my car this afternoon, and within a few seconds the RPMs rapidly dropped and all interior lights went off as if the car was shut off. It only happened for about a second and the engine fluctuated back to normal within 10 seconds. Im kinda concerned about this as I don't want to be in traffic when my car decides to totally stall. Any ideas as to what could be the problem?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Jeff,

This might not be much, but a couple of days ago, i did a complete cleanup job of my batterie posts.

Use some tools, like steel brushes or a dedicated cleaning kit for batteries.

Mine was built in May 2006 so it was well due. If you see some green stuff on your batterie posts it's time for a cleanup. I had a similar less prononced rpm drop in mine @ red lights. ( ScanGauge² was showing the drop voltage. )

Now all is fine. But, it could be bad gazoline, or lots of other things. Your running 87 octane i hope.

My 2¢ :)

Best Regards, François

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Sounds like something not worth worrying about...unless it happens again. Any number of transient things could have come to together at the same time to cause it. Doesn't mean there is really an issue.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
How many miles do you have on it and have you changed your plugs, air filter and PCV valve at the recommended intervals?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
80,000km. Air filter and plugs were recently changed. Have not changed PCV valve. I wasnt aware it was something that needed to be changed

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
It's a good rule of thumb to change the PCV valve every time you change the plugs. True, it may be overkill, but the crankcase needs to breath properly just like the intake. And it's only about a nine dollar part.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its been a week now and I'm still noticing some issues. I went for a drive tonight, and as I came to a stop light, the rpm's started to fluctuate from 1000 to 600, and the dash lights would dim as well. I'm starting to believe this is gonna be an issue

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Have you done anything to it yet? What year is your Caliber? If it's an 07, take it somewhere and have the battery checked. The 07's were known to have had a bunch of crappy batteries. If not the battery, maybe your belt is slipping. Perhaps a weak tensioner?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts