Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got the rough idle issue on our 07 Caliber. I've done some research on the issue and see that this happens to a lot of us owners.

When I first bought the car I noticed the malfunction indicator light was on, so I went down to a local parts store and hooked up the scan tool and read the codes. The first one was a gas loop open code of some kind that indicated the gas cap as a possible problem and the other was a intake manifold runner control stuck open bank 1 and this indicated low coolant or thermostat stuck open. I reset the codes and then opened the gas cap then filled the overflow bottle with the correct (color) antifreeze and checked the radiator (hose) cap for proper level of fluid. I went and filled the car full of gas and then noticed the malfunction light came on again and then went back off. The rough idle has not changed in all of this no matter what the status of the indicator light. The poor idling only occurs during a stop while in drive and as soon as you up the rpm's it goes away. I also read about the TSB 18-017-08 rev. A and this seems to help with this problem in a lot of cases. Are there any forum members who have had this done at a dealer and know what the cost are out of warranty? I'm guessing a regular joe can not perform this because of the techconnect and or starscan software that is needed.

So, I guess what I am wanting to know is what's the easiest way to fix the gas cap issue? Replacement? What's the easiest/most cost efficient way to flash the software to the newest version available? Is there an aftermarket Chill Zone rubber pad or is this a dealer item only?

Thanks in advance to all Dodge Caliber Guru's!!!

:Racing:

2007 Dodge Caliber SXT
2.0-Liter
CVT
Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat

·
The Organizer
15,141 Posts
I've got the rough idle issue on our 07 Caliber. I've done some research on the issue and see that this happens to a lot of us owners.

When I first bought the car I noticed the malfunction indicator light was on, so I went down to a local parts store and hooked up the scan tool and read the codes. The first one was a gas loop open code of some kind that indicated the gas cap as a possible problem and the other was a intake manifold runner control stuck open bank 1 and this indicated low coolant or thermostat stuck open. I reset the codes and then opened the gas cap then filled the overflow bottle with the correct (color) antifreeze and checked the radiator (hose) cap for proper level of fluid. I went and filled the car full of gas and then noticed the malfunction light came on again and then went back off. The rough idle has not changed in all of this no matter what the status of the indicator light. The poor idling only occurs during a stop while in drive and as soon as you up the rpm's it goes away. I also read about the TSB 18-017-08 rev. A and this seems to help with this problem in a lot of cases. Are there any forum members who have had this done at a dealer and know what the cost are out of warranty? I'm guessing a regular joe can not perform this because of the techconnect and or starscan software that is needed.

So, I guess what I am wanting to know is what's the easiest way to fix the gas cap issue? Replacement? What's the easiest/most cost efficient way to flash the software to the newest version available? Is there an aftermarket Chill Zone rubber pad or is this a dealer item only?

Thanks in advance to all Dodge Caliber Guru's!!!

:Racing:

2007 Dodge Caliber SXT
2.0-Liter
CVT
Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat
The TSB will generally cost whatever the dealer charges per hour, and that varies. The gas cap could be bad, or the gasket and filler lip may need cleaning. The rough idle could also be spark plugs. How many miles are on the car? Spark plugs need changing every 30K miles, religiously. A bad plug can set that DTC you describe as a "bank" issue. A poorly firing plug can cause a rough idle.

·
Premium Member
10,257 Posts
I had a rough Idle on one of my old cars back in the day, bought it form my sister. She didn't change the air filter in a very long time, that might be another place to look other than new plugs. All this of course depends on how many miles are on your Caliber.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's some good advice...spark plugs, air filter and check the cap seal! I will check those out. As for the TSB, I am having it put in the shop tomorrow for a diagnostics check (1/2 hour scheduled $52.00) then we shall see what the experts have to say about it! Rubber chill zone pad ($72.00) left without ordering it! :D

·
Premium Member
10,257 Posts
You still haven't told us your mileage, that is a small factor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem found!

Took the caliber in to the shop and one of the motor mounts are broken! Got it on order ($47.00) Hope that takes care of it! :smileup:

·
Premium Member
10,257 Posts
Took the caliber in to the shop and one of the motor mounts are broken! Got it on order ($47.00) Hope that takes care of it! :smileup:
Broken motor mount will surely cause rough idle, but 77,000 still warrants you to do a tune up if you haven't already.:gr_grin: The plugs and air filter are simple to do yourself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Update! ***FIXED***

We got the Caliber fixed today. The dealer replaced the rear motor mount and it is a brand new car. No more shake or shimmy of any kind, it's as smooth as a babies hind parts!!! We are happy campers now! Thanks to all who posted on this, much appreciated!

:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.