Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. This is my first post on this forum. I have a 2008 RT with a sunroof. I represnt injured workers at Local 1268 where the Caliber is manufactured. I have searched and do not see any recent activity on racks and am bumping the discussion with this thread...

...I am taking my daughter to college and need more cargo space. I am considering adding a rack. I doubt I will self install but may consider it. What is the current state of the art on these things? It seems the removable rack is the latest? Is it? What is the load limit? Can I use it with a sunroof? Realistically, what will it cost if I have either a dealer or other mechanic install? What does the unit cost? While we are at it, is this the best way to do it? In other words, is there a better way to add to my cargo capacity? Thanks everybody.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Hello. This is my first post on this forum. I have a 2008 RT with a sunroof. I represnt injured workers at Local 1268 where the Caliber is manufactured. I have searched and do not see any recent activity on racks and am bumping the discussion with this thread...

...I am taking my daughter to college and need more cargo space. I am considering adding a rack. I doubt I will self install but may consider it. What is the current state of the art on these things? It seems the removable rack is the latest? Is it? What is the load limit? Can I use it with a sunroof? Realistically, what will it cost if I have either a dealer or other mechanic install? What does the unit cost? While we are at it, is this the best way to do it? In other words, is there a better way to add to my cargo capacity? Thanks everybody.
Others can help you regarding the roof rack. I myself put a hitch receiver on and purchased a hitch cargo rack. It's easier to load and doesn't create aerodynamic drag.

·
Super Moderator
12,110 Posts
I think all racks are 'removable' though some leave holes in the trim.
Roof boxes are popular and cheaper these days for roof rails.
On the Caliber trailer hitches seem more common.

Some history. On launch Mopar provided a rack accessory. This quickly developed problems and was withdrawn.
Mopar engineered and announced an improved replacement that then got caught up in supply issues.
This may be available but suffers from association with the predecessor so not popular.
Aftermarket options are available.

All discussed on the older threads if you want views on each option.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
I did the same thing that Brad did. All of the racks I've seen look absolutely terrible on the Calibers. And with the hitch and cargo carrier, you can quickly remove and store it. You can't do that with the roof rack.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I just ordered the MOPAR removable rack for my Caliber. I dont know what the load limit is but the rack is fully removable. There are several pics in a similer thread (can't find it atm) that show 8 black plugs on-top of the roof molding. Thats the only thing you see when the rack is removed, and they arent very noticable at all.

Unit price was 220 USD for mine, and the dealer said install would be right around an hr and a half labor. My car doesnt have a sun-roof, but the rack doesnt mount on the metal part of the roof, so I dont see why a sun-roof would prevent mounting one.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Here are a few links to the individual posts with pics of the MOPAR rack.

http://www.caliberforumz.com/showpost.php?p=46193&postcount=84

http://www.caliberforumz.com/showpost.php?p=61386&postcount=115

http://www.caliberforumz.com/showpost.php?p=74236&postcount=123

Install is nothing special. You have to drill 8 holes in your plastic roof molding to mount the rack, but after that it can all be done with and allen wrench and a key for the locks. They instructions call for a body-shop or your dealer to drill the moulding and mount the brackets under the moulding, but its very straight forward and comes with instructions should you wish to do it yourself.

I'm doing mine myself, and I'm tempted to post a few pics of the install in a different thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, I got the mopar rack for my '07 and I think it looks great! The install was a little difficult, but not impossible. I have put a ski rack and now a cargo basket. The only criticism I have is that bars are a little close together. I have attached a pic of what my kick ass caliber looks like now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got one for my 2011 caliber but it has no instructions, if anyone has theirs still could you please scan them and email directly?

Thank you all

1 - 11 of 11 Posts