Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm looking at replacing my stock dash speakers. I just installed a multimedia system that's working well with the Boston Acoustic 9 speaker factory system. My Cali is a 2007 SXT.

If anyone has done this before and is willing to share, could I ask if this is a good idea, and if it is, was it easy enough to do? I've seen a video of how the dash grill comes off, but nothing about what happens next. I'm also concerned about fit and wiring.

Cheers!

Mark
Calgary Canada

·
Registered
324 Posts
From what I remember (from doing it years ago} side pillar covers (one screw each, then yank 'em off) get removed, then that forward-most dash piece gets lifted up (just pry it up with a butter knife).

It should be just two philips/¼” screws on each tiny speaker - removed using a stubby screwdriver (unless you'd like to remove the windshield for better access (not sure if that's the easy route)).

I can't remember knowing their size, but I think they are the same as the rear fold-down system on some models.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello!

I'm looking at replacing my stock dash speakers. I just installed a multimedia system that's working well with the Boston Acoustic 9 speaker factory system. My Cali is a 2007 SXT.

If anyone has done this before and is willing to share, could I ask if this is a good idea, and if it is, was it easy enough to do? I've seen a video of how the dash grill comes off, but nothing about what happens next. I'm also concerned about fit and wiring.

Cheers!

Mark
Calgary Canada
Thank you for the info! It's getting hard to find Caliber owners these days :- ) If I could ask two other things please? Can you recall just how the wiring worked out? And I guess I'll be using 4 ohm instead of the factory 2 ohm? Do you recall if this presented any issues?

Thanks again!

Mark

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think there was a plug for the two wires to each of the speakers.

As for electrics; 4Ω speakers are better than 2Ω - not as much power from an amp, but you also don't stress out the amp.

I've seen amps that allegedly handle ½Ω setups, but personally I'd rather stay at 4Ω. If I want more wattage, I'd just buy a bigger amp (and battery, wiring, capacitors, etc.).

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a couple pics of my completed dash tweeter install in this thread.
Also some good pics of a Cali with the dash out... I guess this person thought there was a tracking device under there.

I put in Peerless by tymphanny xt25-sc90 ring radiator tweeters, and had to cut grille and mount them above the grille. Looks nice and reflects off the windshield better. Crossed over at like 2800hz or something. Super nice sounding. A speaker may not get you the results you want if you already have Boston acoustics in all doors. I have more pics of my complete system in my profile and digital dash post. @672aq tutorial looks flawless.

@CalgaryFlamesFan You basically did the same android radio install I did, but I don't have the Boston system just working with a monblock and 5 channel amp under my seat. I put in my own bullet tweets in rear door and silk dome tweeters in the spot by the rearview mirror. Good luck brother!
Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Automotive lighting Grille Automotive design Audio equipment Grey
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a couple pics of my completed dash tweeter install in this thread.
Also some good pics of a Cali with the dash out... I guess this person thought there was a tracking device under there.

I put in Peerless by tymphanny xt25-sc90 ring radiator tweeters, and had to cut grille and mount them above the grille. Looks nice and reflects off the windshield better. Crossed over at like 2800hz or something. Super nice sounding. A speaker may not get you the results you want if you already have Boston acoustics in all doors. I have more pics of my complete system in my profile and digital dash post. @672aq tutorial looks flawless.

@CalgaryFlamesFan You basically did the same android radio install I did, but I don't have the Boston system just working with a monblock and 5 channel amp under my seat. I put in my own bullet tweets in rear door and silk dome tweeters in the spot by the rearview mirror. Good luck brother!
View attachment 17522
View attachment 17523 View attachment 17524
Looks awesome, and thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think there was a plug for the two wires to each of the speakers.

As for electrics; 4Ω speakers are better than 2Ω - not as much power from an amp, but you also don't stress out the amp.

I've seen amps that allegedly handle ½Ω setups, but personally I'd rather stay at 4Ω. If I want more wattage, I'd just buy a bigger amp (and battery, wiring, capacitors, etc.).
Went with 4 Ohm in the doors. Now thinking about the sub, dash and tailgate. Not sure if its worth it though. Also wondering if I should just disconnect the tailgate unit? I never use it and wonder if its removal will help the amp out a bit?

·
Registered
324 Posts
The fold-down speaker assembly has 2½" speakers. Took mine completely out and will replace it with just the blank one from a junkyard car (if I ever find one that's not already busted).

If you want to leave the assembly as-is, you can [carefully] open it up and unplug the harness going to the speakers.

I noticed the music sounded better once I removed those tiny things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts