Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Nice job. its what I want to see more of when people take apart the caliber, saves alot of grief.
Thanks... more rep for you

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I'm sorry, probably a stupid question, but.......

What is the point to this exercise :confused:
For someone who's looking to tap into the power port for additional electronics in the car, like a GPS or interior LED strips or anything else that requires power thru direct wiring and not a cigarette lighter plug adapter. Or to replace the bezel with the carbon composite or colored replacement options.

Not a stupid question for someone new to the Caliber or who's never modified a vehicle before.:D

Joe

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Door Panel Removed

Here are some shots of door panel removed that may
help those wanting to do it.
These were posted on another site by a local Caliber
owner.

You have to take out the screw in the grab handle by popping off that cover and then removing the screw. Next if you are looking at the inside of the door, the lower, left hand corner is the place to inseta thine flat object and jsut start popping the clips out first along the bottom, then the left side and then the top and then the right (angled) side. Thats for the drivers door, i have not done it to the other doors yet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Okay, here's a question for you all. We have the automatic, (AS), I can get the top "chrome" cover off the shifter, but how do I get the shifter knob off? I'm thinking of replacing it with a lighted shifter knob. It doesn't seem to unscrew, unless I'm not applying enough force. But I don't want to break anything.
Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Just pull the whole thing straight up---Hard--- It'l suddenly jump off---Keep you teeth & jaw out of the way!!! ......

·
Registered
645 Posts
Now I know what to do to get my bezel colored to match car. Now just to get that danged knob off withouth killing myself.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The shift knob is 2 pieces-small ring at the bottom can be pushed
downward,this releases the collet gripper then pull up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
awesome procedure! i just have one question a little off topic... Is there a way to put a 120vac outlet in our cali's? i know some of them come with them installed in the back seat area. i was kinda hoping to mount one instead of using one of those adapters... Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
12,269 Posts
i just have one question a little off topic... Is there a way to put a 120vac outlet in our cali's? i know some of them come with them installed in the back seat area. i was kinda hoping to mount one instead of using one of those adapters... Thanks in advance!
The outlet blank is in front of the sliding armrest but the inverter was located behind the bezel according to a post on the ForumZ.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
awesome procedure! i just have one question a little off topic... Is there a way to put a 120vac outlet in our cali's? i know some of them come with them installed in the back seat area. i was kinda hoping to mount one instead of using one of those adapters... Thanks in advance!
You'd have to install an inverter, and then add the outlet. Check around at the junkyards. You may get lucky and find a center counsel with everything you need.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Took mine off, just to make sure I can get in there to change the bulb when the time comes.

I found the best position to remove the shift knob is with the shifter in neutral. In park, you just can't get the right leverage on it. In neutral, you can get a good solid grip and pull it off with no risk to your face or teeth.

To remove the bezel, I found that a stiff bladed putty knife slips right in there between the console and bezel and allows you to work the clips loose; mine has 2 on each side, near the top and bottom. Work slowly and it comes off with no damage to the clips

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi,

I have an automatic and was considering removing the bezel as the fuse and spring portion of a usb adaptor came apart in the cigar lighter outlet and fell through an opening in the lighter outlet. I read this procedure and was concerned about the knob removal. I investigated and found that substantial but not excessive upward pressure was all that was required.

It seems unlikely that the parts that fell inside will cause problems so I'll probably won't proceed further.

Jim F.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Don't wuss out now, Jim. If there's a metal piece in what fell in, you may have trouble down the road. Go ahead and get that crap out of there since you've already started. If nothing else, it may rattle and drive you crazy. Like me!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts