Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone
My fiancé has a 2008 caliber auto with the 1.8L (I believe) and it’s leaking fluid. This has been by far the worst car we have ever owned, every 2 weeks it’s having issues. In the last year I’ve done new brake rotors and pads, both control arms, cv axle, tie rods, battery, alternator, starter, spark plugs, the list goes on.

Now the car has a pretty substantial leak, sometimes a huge puddle sometimes a 3” puddle. The fluid is red and doesn’t have much of a smell, it’s oily but also watery. It is dripping off the bolt of the oil drain plug but I haven’t dug too far into seeing where it’s at yet. Any ideas? The coolant level is fine (and green lol), brake fluid level seems fine, power steering fluid seems fine, only thing I can’t check is the transmission fluid. Is that usually red?
I’ve ordered that special dipstick to check the transmission fluid. I plan to sell this piece of ****, so I’m hoping I can just refill the tranny fluid and sell it with leak. Car drives fine aside from the leaking fluid.

Any ideas for things to check or do? I’ll be jacking it up Friday and taking a look for the leak.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If it is oily, and you are sure it is not the engine oil, then it can pretty much only be the transmission fluid.

Get under there and see if you can find where the leak is coming from. Tighten up the engine and oil drain bolts, clean up the bottom of the engine and transmission (use brake clean and shop towels), drive the car around for 5 minutes and then jack it up again and see if you can determine where the leak is coming from.

Search on the forum here for 'CVT leak' and 'CVT fluid' and you will find many posts related to the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it is oily, and you are sure it is not the engine oil, then it can pretty much only be the transmission fluid.

Get under there and see if you can find where the leak is coming from. Tighten up the engine and oil drain bolts, clean up the bottom of the engine and transmission (use brake clean and shop towels), drive the car around for 5 minutes and then jack it up again and see if you can determine where the leak is coming from.

Search on the forum here for 'CVT leak' and 'CVT fluid' and you will find many posts related to the issue.
Hey, thanks for the reply.

i tracked it down. It’s one of the transmission cooler lines spraying fluid, I’ve ordered the new line and I’m going to pickup some new fluidthis week. Hopefully this was the only leak!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey, thanks for the reply.

i tracked it down. It’s one of the transmission cooler lines spraying fluid, I’ve ordered the new line and I’m going to pickup some new fluidthis week. Hopefully this was the only leak!
So now are you keeping the car now that you know what the Issue is or are you still going to sell it? I know how you feel about all the $$$ you put into that car my car is a 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT 2.0 and I have done both front and rear sub frames myself front and rear wheel bearings hubs upper and lower control arms and trailing arms a new throttle body outer tire rod end. Now I have to fix a clock spring and a transmission control module the car starts good everyday.

·
Registered
5 Posts
[QUOTE = "Haydenm17, publicación: 276902, miembro: 27592"]
Hola a todos
Mi prometido tiene un auto calibre 2008 con 1.8L (creo) y tiene una fuga de líquido. Este ha sido, con mucho, el peor automóvil que hemos tenido, cada 2 semanas tiene problemas. En el último año he hecho nuevos discos y pastillas de freno, ambos brazos de control, eje cv, tirantes, batería, alternador, motor de arranque, bujías, y la lista continúa.

Ahora el coche tiene una fuga bastante importante, a veces un charco enorme, a veces un charco de 3 ”. El líquido es rojo y no huele mucho, es aceitoso pero también acuoso. Está goteando del perno del tapón de drenaje de aceite, pero todavía no he cavado demasiado para ver dónde está. ¿Algunas ideas? El nivel de refrigerante está bien (y verde jajaja), el nivel de líquido de frenos parece estar bien, el líquido de la dirección asistida parece estar bien, lo único que no puedo verificar es el líquido de la transmisión. ¿Suele ser rojo?
Ordené esa varilla de nivel especial para revisar el líquido de la transmisión. Planeo vender este pedazo de mierda, así que espero poder rellenar el líquido transexual y venderlo con fugas. El coche se conduce bien, aparte de las fugas de líquido.

¿Alguna idea de cosas que comprobar o hacer? Lo levantaré el viernes y buscaré la fuga.
[/CITA]
Buenas,
El liquido de la direccion, y el de la caja de cambios es el mismo y mismo color, aceite Rojo ATF + 4 y en caso del Automatico CVTF + 4.
Por la zona que comentas puede ser perfectamente caja de la direccion. El Nivel de la direccion varia en funcion de la direccion del volante.

Saludos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So now are you keeping the car now that you know what the Issue is or are you still going to sell it? I know how you feel about all the $$$ you put into that car my car is a 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT 2.0 and I have done both front and rear sub frames myself front and rear wheel bearings hubs upper and lower control arms and trailing arms a new throttle body outer tire rod end. Now I have to fix a clock spring and a transmission control module the car starts good everyday.
Jeeze I feel your pain.

i actually picked up a 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT for her to drive instead. Changed the tranny oil line (surprisingly easy) and topped up the cvt fluid. Going to post it for sale haha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts