Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just by chance talked to a guy said Chrysler is doing a extended warranty lol basically a recall on caliber for K frames. I called local dodge dealership she said yes they are doing it have appointment setup to have the K frames looked at photos to be sent to Chrysler. So jut a note they don't have it under recall they are calling it a extended warranty for K frame replacement. Not sure this old or new news but thought I'd pass it on. I have a 2007 dodge caliber base and gave them last few digits of vin good to go if they see fit which they will cause K frames rusted to **** with holes.

·
Super Moderator
12,129 Posts
It's not a recall but if on inspection of a MY07 Caliber the frames are rusty Chrysler will replace them.

We have it here : http://www.caliberforumz.com/announcement.php?f=113

Extended 10 year warranty for RUST # 23-012-14

T.S.B. 23-012-14 issued on May 19, 2014

Chrysler has extended the warranty on the 2007 Jeep Compass, Patriot, and Dodge Caliber, for a problem with rusting crossmembers.
In those vehicles, some structural crossmembers are prone to rust, resulting in a steering wheel vibration.

Affected vehicles may fail state inspections because of rust-related body issues. The problem is primarily in the salt-belt-states and Canada.

The fix :

On affected vehicles, dealers will inspect both the front and rear crossmembers. If they are found to be perforated from rust, they will be replaced.
Warranties will be extended to 10 years from the original in-service date and to unlimited mileage for rusted crossmembers.

Vehicle eligibility:

This recall is being managed by VIN (vehicle Identification Number). The best way to determine vehicle eligibility is to call local dealers with VIN numbers so they can run a database search of the vehicle to determine if it is involved in this action from Chrysler.

For more information, or answers to questions, call Chrysler Customer Service at 800-247-9763 FREE
or call the NHTSA 888-327-4236 FREE,
reference Chrysler action # 23-012-14.

Service Bulletin NUMBER: 23-012-14
GROUP: Body
DATE: May 19, 2014
This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair.
NOTE: This only applies to vehicles in the Canadian Market and in salt belt states
which include Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey,
New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, D.C.,
West Virginia and Wisconsin.
SUBJECT:
Front And Rear Crossmember Corrosion (X58 10 Years Unlimited Mileage)
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves inspecting the front and rear crossmembers for perforation / rust
through and if necessary, replace the crossmember(s).
MODELS:
2007 PM Caliber
2007 MK Compass, Patriot
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after August 26, 2005 (MDH
0826XX) and on or before July 23, 2007 (MDH 0723XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe a vibration at the steering wheel or may have been informed
by a technician or state vehicle inspection that the front and / or rear crossmember is
severely corroded.
POLICY:
Warranty period for crossmember perforation / rust through is extended to 10 years.
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

Care letter sent to affected owners

This letter is to inform you that the warranty period (3 years or 36,000 miles) on your vehicle’s front and rear crossmembers have been extended to a period of 10 years. This extended front and rear crossmembers warranty coverage applies to select model year 2007 Dodge Caliber, Jeep Compass and Patriot vehicles. Our records show that you either own or lease one of the vehicles affected by this extended warranty.

We are extending the front and rear crossmembers warranty period because some of the affected vehicle population may experience premature corrosion of the front and rear crossmembers. If you are experiencing this condition now or in the future, simply contact your dealer to have the repairs performed. Conversely, if you do not experience this condition, then your front and rear crossmembers are operating correctly and no repair is necessary.

Chrysler is also authorizing a yearly inspection of your front and rear crossmembers for a period of up to 10 years. Please schedule yearly inspection of your front and rear crossmembers at an authorized Chrysler dealer. A yearly inspection is not needed if your vehicle receives a new front and rear crossmembers.

Dodge database inquiry for notices about your VIN

https://www.moparownerconnect.com/oc/us/en-us/sub/Pages/RecallsQuery.aspx

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'll be going for my second inspection at the end of the month.

I'm curious as to how bad it has to be for them to actually replace it? Mine is pretty bad in the front at least. I do have steering wheel vibration.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it says in there site and I'm in Canada that it has to be perforated, so basically has to have holes.
I'm gonna argue with them cause they probably won't change my front nor all the components connected to the K frame the dealership has told me that if any parts have to be changes because they deem unsafe other then K frame it's outta my pocket. I don't think so cause the made something that was defective and if it wasn't for that everything else would be fine.
I will also explained I have a 5 year old daughter and if anything happens to her as a result of the K frame they will be held liable. Hope that will be enough for them to change both K frames and all connected components.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Well it says in there site and I'm in Canada that it has to be perforated, so basically has to have holes.
I'm gonna argue with them cause they probably won't change my front nor all the components connected to the K frame the dealership has told me that if any parts have to be changes because they deem unsafe other then K frame it's outta my pocket. I don't think so cause the made something that was defective and if it wasn't for that everything else would be fine.
I will also explained I have a 5 year old daughter and if anything happens to her as a result of the K frame they will be held liable. Hope that will be enough for them to change both K frames and all connected components.
Threats won't do you any good at all. Basically, they have all the money, time and lawyers to beat you into the ground with any claims you may make. As mentioned, the ball joints, tie rods etc. are all normal wear items that have to be replaced over time. If they deem any of them as worn out, you can demand to see the part they claim needs replacing and use your own judgement. They're not LEGALLY able to replace anything that YOU don't agree to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a complete lube service done on my caliber two weeks ago, and asked the service writer about the sub frame. I told him I was aware of this issue and this was the family car. I also stressed the safety issue with it. In the end, they replaced every front end part on the car except the struts, which were new for no charge! The car had 133440 miles on it at the time. I couldn't be happier with my dodge dealer here in Indiana! 2007 RT AWD

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Good news - you should treat that dealership like gold as they are precious and few between.
Definitely worth buying another car from them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honest Indiana Dealership

I had a complete lube service done on my caliber two weeks ago, and asked the service writer about the sub frame. I told him I was aware of this issue and this was the family car. I also stressed the safety issue with it. In the end, they replaced every front end part on the car except the struts, which were new for no charge! The car had 133440 miles on it at the time. I couldn't be happier with my dodge dealer here in Indiana! 2007 RT AWD
Hello,

Which dealership in Indiana? We are having issues with our Caliber and need an honest dealership :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got robbed from my stealer ship, After calling Crysler I got the ok to have it done under warrantee. They mad a big deal that I was 1 month over 10 years. but all was fine I brought it in and they came back with a bill for 1700.00 for 2 control arms and some other stuff they deemed unsafe. but that's not the issue, I had a front end inspection done on my car just before it went to the stealer ship and all was good but a balljoint on the left side control arm. I just had the right side replaced or vice versa and not even a year past at the time.

Now the steering wheel is out in the city @ 11 o'clock from center and on the Highway it like 9 to 10 o'clock and a constant fight to keep the car straight. I'm using double the gas and they wouldn't return my calls to have the car brought back to get fixed. 3 weeks later I drove it there with a list of issues that were going on and they finally got to it, and as it goes they came back with a full rack-pinion front ball joints all need replacement?! all that in 3 weeks when I got the same speel, we do an inspection on the front end and anything deemed unsafe we will replace at your cost. and less than 3 weeks go by all this is in need of fixing. I lost my mine and said well you did the inspection and missed that 3 weeks ago and now you want to bill me for it? they told me they had to replace the control arms because..... !!! when our Mechanic used the TORCH to take your front end apart the Barings/bushings/balljoint/ all fell out and need replacing cause they won't go back in ... now I craped myself when they said they had to torch off my front end to get the subframe off and well I know why i did now.

he used so much heat is transferred into the tie rod ends and overheated them causing the damage. and my reg Machanic agrees since he has serviced the car for Years and having replaced everything from struts ball joints control arms tierod ends just because they have slightly some play and will need replacement later on. so we just get the work done so we won't end up with big huge bills for repairs that really didn't need to be done. so yes i got the tube of vaseline with sandpaper and they asked if it was a good feeling. the strange thing is when I went to go get the car from the stealer ship they had 4 guys come from the back and surround me as if they were expecting trouble. good to know Crysler stealer ships use muscle men on the unhappy patrons

·
Registered
571 Posts
I get the distinct impression that the less honest dealerships are taking advantage of the subframe recall to "require" replacement of attached suspension components and charge customers big money for the work. No doubt that here in the rust belt some of the components may be rusted to the subframe and really can't be removed without damaging them, and no doubt that some components may be bad and really do need replacing, but there's a proper way for dealerships to handle this. Bringing in a vehicle for warranty work and being handed a bill for $1700 you weren't expecting is ridiculous. Did they call you before replacing the parts or did you sign something when you dropped it off that allowed them to do it without your verbal consent?

You should call FCA Customer Service and lodge a complaint with them about this. Given that it's related to a warranty/safety issue, they may be willing to pay for at least part of the bill.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
That's the exact reason I never bothered to take mine back after they said it wasn't bad enough to be swapped twice.

I was expecting a laundry list of things that "had" to be fixed.

Same thing happened when I paid for an inspection just before my extended warranty ended and then too soon after the extended warranty was done I "needed" a bunch of stuff replaced. Really ruined the dealer for me.

·
Registered
571 Posts
That's the exact reason I never bothered to take mine back after they said it wasn't bad enough to be swapped twice.

I was expecting a laundry list of things that "had" to be fixed.
No doubt! I've been under the car three times in the 5.5 years I've owned it, applying rust protectant on the subframes to try and keep them from rusting through. They look a little crusty but are still solid. Just had my Cali into the dealership for a recall and they said the subframes were fine, but I suspect that if they hadn't seen the rust protectant on them they might have tried calling them bad and hitting me up for suspension work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for this - about to save me some money. Had the car into my mechanic and was told it was the worst subframe he's seen in a car so young and told me he thought it was covered through dealer.

Called the dealer and they confirmed the subframe on my 09 caliber is covered under extended warranty and got me set up for an appointment later this week.

I was told it doesn't cover bushing. Now i'm wondering how deep they're going to try ding me. Anyone have any experience like this while getting the subframe replaced? Anyone have any idea what bushings he's referring to and possible costs?

·
Registered
571 Posts
There are a variety of suspension components with rubber bushings that attach to the subframe...lower/upper control arms, sway bar links, etc. The bushings on these parts wear out and the part eventually needs to be replaced. The dealership tends to charge a LOT of money to replace the suspension components when they do the subframe and I don't doubt they're trying to sell them to you just to make money. If you have a good mechanic have the dealership do the subframe but put the old parts back on, then have your mechanic replace the suspension components if needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks. Well the verdict is in and I'm not sure how to respond. The dealer says they cant install the subframe without putting new lower control arms/bushings in because they "dropped" and the bushings fell off/out so they're trying to ding me for another $560. Can anyone tell me if this makes sense?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Honestly not sure what to tell you skup...you're between a rock and a hard place on this one. it makes sense for the bushings to be bad as it's a common issue with these cars but the dealer could also be lying about needing them just to make money on the job (they definitely make little to no money doing warranty work). If they still have the car you could always ask to go in and see the parts that need to be replaced to verify that they're actually bad. I don't believe the entire bushing itself could fall out but I *think* the bushing has a center section with a steel sleeve in it, and that part of the bushing could have become detached and fell out.

Is this the front or rear subframe?

·
Super Moderator
12,129 Posts
The rubber does perish and break up especially if never replaced. I would side with the dealer but certainly would expect to be able to go in to see the car and parts and be shown the condition.

·
Registered
110 Posts
is that 560 just the part cost for the LCA's? You should not be paying labor on that job since obviously they had to come out anyway. They are half that after market but it wouldn't surprise me if that's the Chrysler part price.

"If you have a good mechanic have the dealership do the subframe but put the old parts back on"

I highly doubt you will get then to let the car go in what is arguably an unsafe condition. My feeling is you (we) may be better off to forget the warranty and have an independent do the whole job. Just to avoid getting stuck paying dealer parts/labor on all the extras.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Ask to see the broken parts. Order them on rock auto for $60 bucks a side if their really bad and don't pay any labor as that's included in repairing the sub frame because they'd have to put those parts back on anyhow.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts