Dodge Caliber Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
There is a hack available at www.carhack.org, it removes the restriction that the nav has while the vehicle is moving where you would loose the ability to access all of the nav functions. sort of a safety feature, though a pain at the same time (ex you can only search for say, restaurants but instead of any, you just get the ones in a certain radius, limits planning, i guess. The hack removes this. basically it gets burnt to a cd and loaded into the deck which will then update itself. I havent done this myself. as for getting the AE disc, let me just say it can be "found" if looked for hard enough. and its just a simple dual layer dvd disc away.rmurad38
The hack great! It allows the passenger to fully access all NAV functions while I drive. It does require a dual-layer DVD burner but I followed the tips on carhack.org and it works perfect.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Super job..and you saved a ton..mine came from factory. Do you know if the guy at the Jeep Forum ever got his back up camera working?..if he did that might be a good next step for me since the view out of the back is so limited...

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
Does anyone know the specs on the REC? Like watts and what not? I want to upgrade speakers just something a little nicer but I don't have the specs on output or anything else. I just want to replace the inside speakers no budunk in the trunk necessary here lol!
I think the factory Radios (all of them) are 66 total watts. Alot of different 6x9's will fit without any modifications.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
To mirror EXcaliber07's post, yes, I believe the output is the same or at least similar to any of the other factory radios, To me it sounded similar if not a touch brighter than the original deck.

As for speakers, you might want to consider the Mopar upgraded speakers, They are made by Kicker and look to be pretty decent, they have rubber surrounds, a real titanium dome tweeter (vs the factory whizzer cones) they use the factory plugs and just plug right in. They retail for $82.99 a pair. best part, as a mopar accessory, they would be covered under your vehicle warrnty if issues arose, also they wouldnt Void your warranty in any way. I plan on buying them soon and I can let everyone know how it goes. I'll be sure to include lots of pics!

http://www.moparsupercenter.com has these speakers,

the model number is 77KICK09

·
Registered
113 Posts
I found the REC stereo sounded considerably better than the RAQ it replaced. The REC is made my Alpine. I don't think they make the other Chrysler stereos.

·
Registered
111 Posts
To mirror EXcaliber07's post, yes, I believe the output is the same or at least similar to any of the other factory radios, To me it sounded similar if not a touch brighter than the original deck.

As for speakers, you might want to consider the Mopar upgraded speakers, They are made by Kicker and look to be pretty decent, they have rubber surrounds, a real titanium dome tweeter (vs the factory whizzer cones) they use the factory plugs and just plug right in. They retail for $82.99 a pair. best part, as a mopar accessory, they would be covered under your vehicle warrnty if issues arose, also they wouldnt Void your warranty in any way. I plan on buying them soon and I can let everyone know how it goes. I'll be sure to include lots of pics!

http://www.moparsupercenter.com has these speakers,

the model number is 77KICK09

I tried to go to that website and nothing came up but NETWORK ERROR, I don't think it is blocked at my companies firewall, but maybe it could be. I am on caliberforumz though! 82.99 a pair huh? I'll get some tomorrow at that price.:Racing:

Update: I got to it nevermind
Thanks

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
These can also be ordered through any dealer, I noticed as I was ordering that moparsupercenter appears to just be the front end to a parts department at a chrysler dealship in NC, I called my local dealer, sure enough, they could get them too, the price wasnt as good ($99) but by not paying shipping it works out to about the same, I also can bring them back to a person if somethings wrong. I ordered them and should expect them middle to end of next week, I let everyone know how they work out

·
Registered
14 Posts
navigation

:cowb:Thank you for this great info rmurad38.
I received my nav gadget yesterday , it is a Nav-Cam 7700 , touch screen ,turn by turn voice, plus speed and direction . It fits perfectly on my windshield right next to the rear view mirror. It has a rechargeable battery but it cones with a ciguie lighter connection that gets on the way . Thanks to your pics i know how to remove the plastic bezel and expose the precious juice wires i need to power this thingy . I will route a 2-18 wire from the unit to the cigui lighter and tap into it . the nicest thing is that is that it it removable and can be carried from car to car , the charge lasts 3.5 hours . Yours look just beautiful . I cant afford to have it , but i like mine , i got it on amazon for 150 + shipping . They have another one for 177. I do have an HUD from http://www.srbpower.com/defi/vsd-basis.php that displays the rpm and speed plus on the windshield . I need help finding the rpm sensor wire , and the speed sensor wire , that's all it needs. I have a Cali SE with 2.0 CVT without the tach . I knoe they call for these wires to be found on the ECU harness. I would like to get the wiring diagram or at least the wire colors . If the weather permits , i will install my wireless backup sensor ( LCD display) from www.reversesensors.com

I cannot think of anything else to pimp the pimped lol...:Racing:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Good luck with that unit! I'm sure it will work great for you. Before the REC in-dash unit, I had a Garmin Street Pilot c320, had a suction cup to attach to the windshield, still have it actually, gave it to the GF. There are definite benefits to a portable unit, moving it from car to car, or to be able to stow it away as a theft deterrent. also being portable and self contained, id suspect reselling would be easier if one wanted to upgrade. Also my unit had a touchscreen while the REC unit uses a clumsy joystick for input.
I do like how the REC unit uses a DVD, upgrading the maps are as simple as getting the most up to date DVD. one can even find it online if they look hard enough. Being built in, i believe the dash looks nicer. But for me, the upgraded stereo was just as much of a reason to get this as the NAV was. I had the base stereo before so with this I gained a 6 Disc CD, MP3 playback, display of Sirius Artist and Title info, and somewhat better sound quality.
rmurad38

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yesterday I got my REC navigation unit installed works great, it was very easy and cost me $978 shipped vs the $2399 the dealer wanted. Parts came from United Radio and Shores Electronics below are the steps I took.

Step 1: Disconnect NEG batt terminal. Remove shift knob, there is a small clip at the base of the shifter that pulls down one release, the knob pulls up and off without issue (only a single hand required)

Step 2: Once removed the lower shift bezel must be removed, I gently pried with a butter knife to raise it slightly and left no marks. A firm tug at that point released it. Prying/tugging was required to remove the main bezel but it did come off fairly easy.

Step 3: this was probably the least fun, removal of the hazard flasher control/ HVAC controls. The HVAC controls are attached to the bezel not the dash! they are attached to the car by cables with not so much slack, the hazard assembly is held by 4 screws as are the HVAC controls, just requires patience and maneuvering to get them removed.

Step 4: Remove Radio (REF) this was nothing special, 4 screws to remove and 2 plugs plus the antenna. Once removed, inside the dash is a metal support bracket for the REF Radio its held by 4 more screws and must be removed.

Step 5: Install REC bracket, this CAME with my bezel kit, it wasnt a mistake, the MOPAR bezel kit included it, too bad I got the bracket from the dealer first, I now have a spare, at least it was only $5

Step 6; Install REC radio, plug and play really just the reverse of the removal of the old. only differnce is the mounting of the GPS antenna.

Step 7: Install GPS antenna, it actually can go anywhere inside the dash, it has a long cable. Orientation is very important, it needs to be mounted upright, I first put it sideways and it was all screwd up, had me on wrong roads wrong direction, etc. I put mine inside the airduct just clearing the bezel, it cant be seen and works great. The antenna had double sided tape to attach it, hopefully it doesnt come loose.

Step 8: Reconnect Neg batt terminal and powered up to test, worked fine, woohoo!!

Step 9: Attach HVAC and Hazard controls to new bezel. I attached the hazard assembly first as it could be removed from the car. Attaching the HVAC controls was just as tedious as removing it due to such little slack.

Step 10: Reattached bezels working from top down, replaced shifter knob.

Thats all, didnt take long even working slowly and carefully, It did a neat thing too, on first power up it showed a Chrysler logo on the screen, oh well. must have been pulled out of a 300 or something (it was reconditioned) when I cranked the car, the screen went out and came back with the Dodge emblem!! Must have pulled the vechicle ID from the ECU or something, way cool! NAV works great! Aside from that, I got some cool new features, 6 Disc MP3 player, Station/Artist/Song Title readout for my Sirius (That worked too without any reprogramming), RDS for FM radio, and my favorite part, a vehicle maintenence menu, The service interval of tasks like oil change, tire rotation, etc are entered and tracked. Once they come due, the unit will prompt that the particular maintence is necessary. Should be quite helpful

rmurad38
Hello
I´m from Venezuela and i need your help i ould like to know if i can put a Pioneer AVIC-D3 in the bezel navigation, i not sure and i don´t know the inch of the Pioneer and the bezel !
Please let me know if some body help in that
Thanks in indance and sorry for my english

·
Registered
25 Posts
does this unit work with the controls in the steering wheel?? and where there any extra connections required for this to work?

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
does this unit work with the controls in the steering wheel?? and where there any extra connections required for this to work?
I don't see why not, it's a factory unit.;)

what is the easiest way to get the bezel off? is there 2 screws that hold it down close to the shifter?
No, you must remove the shifter bezel first, then the radio bezel. If you look at the pics above, you'll see the tabs on the bottom of the radio bezel.;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello I'm knew to the whole modification scene. Before the whole modification was this the standard cd player unit, and if so could I do the same thing with any double din navigation system. The job you did was great, Keep it up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello I'm knew to the whole modification scene. Before the whole modification was this the standard cd player unit, and if so could I do the same thing with any double din navigation system. The job you did was great, Keep it up.
A standard double din stereo can be mounted easily. You'll need an aftermarket double din mounting kit along with the navigation bezel and wire harness. Both are very inexpensive ($~15 each).

Keep in mind an aftermarket stereo will not work with factory uconnect, sirius or steering wheel controls. Wheel controls may work with an aftermarket adapter but they're often expensive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks very good, there's no audio input jack on tha face of the stereo. Is there any other way to hook up a mp3 player that you know of?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Looks very good, there's no audio input jack on tha face of the stereo. Is there any other way to hook up a mp3 player that you know of?
PIE makes adapters, and there are other manufacturers. Some are sold on ebay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hello caliber world,

so i wanNa do the same thing the instructions show, but i have a manual instead of auto. is the process the same or tweeked differently please let me know, i want to install a touch screen DVD/CD/MP3 SCREEN

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE SUPPORT

41 - 60 of 68 Posts