Dodge Caliber Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
My REC had no theft code or anything like that, I plugged it in and it worked (briefly showed the chrysler logo though) I dont believe the unit has any theft deterrance function. In my case, my car already had the factory sirius, the receiver for it is independant from the radio. It is located in the rear behind the spare (its underneath the black cardboard cover) When I plugged in the REC, the Sirius was just "there" and it was also improved, I now have Station/Artist/Title info whereas before with the orginal REF i had a crude CH 001 and no info. As far as putting it in, I believe that shouldnt be a problem but could be some work, I would check under your cardbard cover (in the spare tire well) look on the left hand side, you wont have the receiver but do you have an empty harness? if so, the reciever can go there. If not, theres the first problem. The antenna is quite another story, it mounts in the back and requires a hole to be drilled in the roof for it. not something I would ever want to attempt, I'd be too afraid of it being off center, damaging the headliner or worse, the side curtain airbags. or to have it leak. But anyway it mounts in the rear center, a few inches in from the spoiler, and id assume the wire runs down the rear side in front of the rearmost windows and comes out by the receiver (thats what it looks like by mine anyway) If you are comfortable with drilling holes in your roof, id say go for it, http://www.moparsupercenter.com has the kit ($125 i think) If not, if just go with an external add on unit, less trouble and you can move it to other vehicles too. good luck

rmurad38
I bought all the necessary parts from Dodge last week (425 price tag OUCH~!!!) I got the sirius reciever, sirius install kit, and the bezel all at the same time.
I'm actually NOT AT ALL, comfortable with doing this. So I may pay dodge to do it for me I can put in the REC looks easy enough. I guess I have to fork over more to dodge this time for their services, I want the shift cover too. Does anyone know, where I can get a sunburst orange CVT shift cover, short of painting it myself, which I might add I have some sunburst orange auto paint go figure, I just don't have a spray gun.
I am happy the REC will be easy enought to install YESS!! I have my work cut out for me this weekend.

Thanks for the help:pepper:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
the sunburst orange shift bezel is available though your dealer, shouldnt be an issue. however painting would also be easy (just mask or remove the shift indicators) Too bad on the cost of things, but its the price we pay for integration. Have fun this weekend! if you have any questions while doing the REC part of your install, be sure to post, I check often as do lots of others who have done this before. Just go slowly and dont force anything, you should be fine. If you have the wiring in place for the sirius (check the back for that unused harness) you can at least do the REC part of the install first, all of the sirius work is done in the back of the vehicle

rmurad38

·
Registered
111 Posts
the sunburst orange shift bezel is available though your dealer, shouldnt be an issue. however painting would also be easy (just mask or remove the shift indicators) Too bad on the cost of things, but its the price we pay for integration. Have fun this weekend! if you have any questions while doing the REC part of your install, be sure to post, I check often as do lots of others who have done this before. Just go slowly and dont force anything, you should be fine. If you have the wiring in place for the sirius (check the back for that unused harness) you can at least do the REC part of the install first, all of the sirius work is done in the back of the vehicle

rmurad38

Well, the worst has come to light! Ladies and Gentleman, I believe I have been had by the crooked eBayer who sold this to me! I installed it and when I turned on my car it went DING DING from the speakers. The navigation had a backlight but nothing was on the screen. I could turn up the volume and hear the static from no station. Also I tried to load a CD and nothing! It would not load! can you believe it! So I tried a bunch of things to trouble shoot and I still came up with the same problem. I already contacted eBay. Does anyone have any idea about this? maybe is it a theft thing? It said it was made in 2004 and the model number ends in AJ. Please anybody help me out here! I am very very dissapoined. I plugged in the harness for the stereo the GPS antenna the regualr and antenna and everything! I turned on the car after putting the battery back online. Maybe I am missing something? Please hellp!!!

Esko:BL:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well, the worst has come to light! Ladies and Gentleman, I believe I have been had by the crooked eBayer who sold this to me! I installed it and when I turned on my car it went DING DING from the speakers. The navigation had a backlight but nothing was on the screen. I could turn up the volume and hear the static from no station. Also I tried to load a CD and nothing! It would not load! can you believe it! So I tried a bunch of things to trouble shoot and I still came up with the same problem. I already contacted eBay. Does anyone have any idea about this? maybe is it a theft thing? It said it was made in 2004 and the model number ends in AJ. Please anybody help me out here! I am very very dissapoined. I plugged in the harness for the stereo the GPS antenna the regualr and antenna and everything! I turned on the car after putting the battery back online. Maybe I am missing something? Please hellp!!!
It should have come up and displayed something. Check all your connections again. If the Key is turned on and radio is turned off it should still display the time (at least on mine, I have the AL revision). What rating does the ebayer you bought it from have? Have you tried contacting them?

·
Registered
111 Posts
It should have come up and displayed something. Check all your connections again. If the Key is turned on and radio is turned off it should still display the time (at least on mine, I have the AL revision). What rating does the ebayer you bought it from have? Have you tried contacting them?

No nothing just a backlight. It didn't show time. With the key on or off. Connections were verified 3-4 times. I turn the volume up and I can hear the static from an AM radio station, but I can't see the tuner on the screen or anything but a backlight for that matter. When I tried to load a CD, all I got was a horrible buzzing sound. I have the AJ model 2004 build. Maybe it is just too old. The rating on that RAT is +2 I am no rookie to Ebay I guess I got a little anxious. He wrote me back and said, "IT WAS FINE WHEN I SHIPPED IT WHAT HAPPENED WHAT IS WRONG/HAPPENING??"
I a really upset about this so I contacted eBay too. I gave him a chance to rectify the situation, but he hasn't. I saw right after this RAT sold me this piece, he went and bought another used Navigation from Ebay. I wonder why??? Maybe because this one didnt work?? That is what I think what a RAT he is!

Now I have to pick up the pieces on this transaction.

Any help on how where to repair or any ideas if I missed anything is greatly GREATLY appreciated!

Esko

·
Registered
347 Posts
That's the trouble with eBay. You never know if the mechandise would fly or crash. I do have reservations on buying stuff from there. I have friends that got burned on similar situations.

I would rather buy a brand new one. That way I could hold mopar by the nose if ever things go wrong.

Sorry to hear about the lemon, ekoware1. Hope someone can help figure it to fix it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Wow man sorry to hear that, esp on such a high dollar item. One of the many resons I dont trust Ebay, my REC was purchased from an ebay reseller, but I insited on only dealing with someone that I could call up and deal with in person, that reseller was more than happy to deal with me directly and take my credit card (none of that paypal crap) Did you use a credit card? they may offer purchase protection and could reverse the charges.
As for the radio, I dont believe the REC has any sort of theft protection. You could maybe try (with everything connected) removing your negative battery terminal for a few min to reset everything. Also look on the top of the unit, there is supposed to be a shipping bracket to protect the cd player while shipping(mine didnt have one but it did have a notice saying to remove it, go figure) make sure if you have one that its removed. As for repair, (if you cant somehow get your money back) I'd try actually the 2 places I got my parts from, United Radio and Shoreselectronicsautoradio. United Radio is a well known huge repair facility. Shores is the ebay buyer that I used, they recondition the units they sell and provide a 30 day warranty, plus the option to buy an extended, mines been working great so far (knock on wood)
Keep us updated, even if it cost a couple hundred to repair you will still be way under what the dealer charges, right? I hope? and the integration of all those functions right in the dash will be great.

Best of luck
rmurad38

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wow man sorry to hear that, esp on such a high dollar item. One of the many resons I dont trust Ebay, my REC was purchased from an ebay reseller, but I insited on only dealing with someone that I could call up and deal with in person, that reseller was more than happy to deal with me directly and take my credit card (none of that paypal crap) Did you use a credit card? they may offer purchase protection and could reverse the charges.
As for the radio, I dont believe the REC has any sort of theft protection. You could maybe try (with everything connected) removing your negative battery terminal for a few min to reset everything. Also look on the top of the unit, there is supposed to be a shipping bracket to protect the cd player while shipping(mine didnt have one but it did have a notice saying to remove it, go figure) make sure if you have one that its removed. As for repair, (if you cant somehow get your money back) I'd try actually the 2 places I got my parts from, United Radio and Shoreselectronicsautoradio. United Radio is a well known huge repair facility. Shores is the ebay buyer that I used, they recondition the units they sell and provide a 30 day warranty, plus the option to buy an extended, mines been working great so far (knock on wood)
Keep us updated, even if it cost a couple hundred to repair you will still be way under what the dealer charges, right? I hope? and the integration of all those functions right in the dash will be great.

Best of luck
rmurad38

Ok as mad as I have been I have calmed down. I must first say thanks guys! Because When I am needing help you all are hooking me up with some good info! And as a matter of fact rmurad38, I happened across the United Audio website while looking for repair facilities, I contacted them by phone and they seem so legit not a question in my mind about them! Plus now you recommended them and I have piece of mind. The damage......$450 for repair REGARDLESS they said. IF they have to replace it they will they said. If they can fix it they will they said. SO it is actually a pretty decent deal. Now the bad news I am pretty rediculous for buying this from that RAT for 835 shipped! I should have got the one from Shores on ebay where you said 100 bucks more but with customer sevice. My Plan: I have been talking with this guy over the Ebay messages so I am going to ask for a refund in the amount of $450 That way I can pay for the costs. If he agrees I leave positive feedback if NOT, We go through Ebay and Paypal claims service! Then I leave negative feedback. I think the MAX Ebay and Paypal will get you back on buyer protection is 200 bucks I may be wrong. and if it comes to that I will have a total bill of 1085 after buying it from the RAT and repairing it. 835+450=1285-Ebay Refund 200 =1075. It is better than 1900 from a reputable seller online and even better than 2000+ from Dodge themselves, although I have a tough situation it may not be that tough to fix. Hey RMURAD, I have one other question for ya, Did your REC unit come with a wire hanging out the front face plate with an RGB connection, that looks like a computer monitor connector? that could plug to a video out? Mine did and it is kind of strange. It had another box to connect to it called NAVI+ and had another video (yellow) input to connect an external video source (camera, DVD, Video Game). I think this is going to be a painful process but It will be resolved!

Thanks everyone for the Help!

Esko

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well, thats good to hear, even at $1085 its a good deal. No my rec doesnt have the rgb cable/input and navi thing, thats a hack and a cool thing to have but maybe in your case it was a hack gone wrong. When working it allows you to play video on your screen from a dvd game console, whatever, its actually worth some money, heres a link: http://www.tvandnav2go.com/ if you can actually get that unit working you got a good deal. i was considering that myself so the GF could watch movies on trips, just a little nervous about sending my unit to Brooklyn to get it done lol. one other thing, could it be that because the navi unit wasnt hooked up that you didnt get anything? could your rec be in the navi mode, showing black due to the fact it has no signal on it? be sure to press the mode button a few times to see if it gets out of it, also just for fun, hook up a source to that navi box and see what happens,

rmurad38

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice Job, Looks real good. Perhaps I will attempt that mod later on this year. 1st I need to fig. out how to remove the shifter knob. :shakehead:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Any help on how where to repair or any ideas if I missed anything is greatly GREATLY appreciated! Esko
Contact United Radio in NY at 800-634-8606. They have very decent prices for repairs and are an authorize Alpine repair and sales center (Alpine is who made the REC unit). They also sell the Caliber bezels in the various colors. Hopefully you got a low enough price for your REC unit to make repair worthwhile. A working REC unit is worth $800-$1000 depending on exact revision model, revision of DVD etc.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You just pull strait up on the knob and it pops off.
NO you dont, a member here did that and chipped a tooth! what you do is first remove the collar at the base of the shift knob, it pulls down w/ finger pressure THEN you pull the knob off, its in the pictures at the beginning of this post.

rmurad38

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well, thats good to hear, even at $1085 its a good deal. No my rec doesnt have the rgb cable/input and navi thing, thats a hack and a cool thing to have but maybe in your case it was a hack gone wrong. When working it allows you to play video on your screen from a dvd game console, whatever, its actually worth some money, heres a link: http://www.tvandnav2go.com/ if you can actually get that unit working you got a good deal. i was considering that myself so the GF could watch movies on trips, just a little nervous about sending my unit to Brooklyn to get it done lol. one other thing, could it be that because the navi unit wasnt hooked up that you didnt get anything? could your rec be in the navi mode, showing black due to the fact it has no signal on it? be sure to press the mode button a few times to see if it gets out of it, also just for fun, hook up a source to that navi box and see what happens,

rmurad38
So today I finally got back a working unit from United Audio....WOW!!!
Their customer service is unrivaled. Their technicians unrivaled, I mean I have researched the REC for months upon months before I even bought it, so I was more than knowledgeable about almost all dodge caliber radio/stereos. This guy knew his stuff too!! So I authorized the repair for 450 dollars OUCH! But as a side note, paypal did refund me 200 bucks as a result of the seller selling me a broken unit. I paid 835 for it shipped so now we are at 635 after the refund. I also purchased 430 dollars worth of accesories and extras. These being the sunburst orange bezel, satellite radion reciever and installation kit and so forth. I also paid 150 for the sattelite componenets to be installed. So the total on everything thus far is 1645, so this guy with the bad deal from Ebay really set me back on something that could have potentially set me back only 900 or so if I would have went with a reputable seller. Lesson learned. So today I installed everything and it works like a CHARM!! let me tell you. the orange bezel is amazing the navigation and CD changer and stellite radio are flawless and I am thrilled. Next mods include the dodge performance upgrades: headers, exhuast, and air filter. I know where to get all those, but I would also like to know if anyone knows where to get a cheap set of the seats that come on RT sunburst orange calibers? you know the black/grey cloth with orange cloth insets. And one more question. I want to put a sunroof in my car. How much would something like that cost? Is it a good decision, it seems like a huge job. what is the likelihood it would leak in the future? Any help would be appreciated, but for now I emerge victorious from this one.!

Esko

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Congrats!! good to see this all worked out for you! the nav really spruces up the dash doesnt it? Now, one thing you will want to check is the revision of the Navigation DVD. Mine came with a revision AB which was quite out of date. I was able to "find" the latest revision, AE, and burned it to a DUAL LAYER DVD, updated the radio and my maps, couldnt be happier! hopefully the AF revision is going to be released soon for even more updates! One other thing, if you havent done it already, go into the maintenence menu and setup the service intervals for the listed items, when the set mileage has been met you will receive a friendly "reminder" whenever you start the vehicle. very handy for those of us who forget such things.

rmurad38

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
The revision AF was supposed to be release in late Feb. but still to sign of it. I bet they skipped it and will release an update in September as they have in prior years.

I have the AE revision and I applied the patch from Carhack.org that gets rid of the in-motion limitations. Works great.

$1085 isn't really too bad. New pulls from 2007 vehicles sold by reputable ebay dealers are about $900-$1000.

United Radio is an awesome shop. Not the cheapest but they know what they're doing. I assume you now have a warranty on the Nav unit from United?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah I got a 1 year warranty. Those guys are excellent! They did a lot. The CD changer or DVD drive did not want to take discs.....FIXED. Screen only had backlight come on...........FIXED. Noisy crackling from FM stations...........FIXED. There was no DVD cover.........Added one.......FIXED. Joystick was a problem.............FIXED. Software update needed..............FIXED. They just did a number on it and it works amazingly. What is this "hack" or whatever you are talking about? what is the URL and how do I perform this "hack"?? Thanks!

Esko

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
There is a hack available at www.carhack.org, it removes the restriction that the nav has while the vehicle is moving where you would loose the ability to access all of the nav functions. sort of a safety feature, though a pain at the same time (ex you can only search for say, restaurants but instead of any, you just get the ones in a certain radius, limits planning, i guess. The hack removes this. basically it gets burnt to a cd and loaded into the deck which will then update itself. I havent done this myself. as for getting the AE disc, let me just say it can be "found" if looked for hard enough. and its just a simple dual layer dvd disc away.

rmurad38

21 - 40 of 68 Posts