Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mopar (Dodge) Spoiler > Part # 82209604
Cost (at dealer) $434.00
Installation: A few parts to keep track of, original directions are good, but not the best
Still a do it yourself project (save the dealer install cost).
These pics and comments should make it an easy install.

Slightly larger and much more aggressive looking spoiler for the Caliber
This should be used in conjunction to the "ikea type" directions provided with the spoiler.

Before starting
Unpack the spoiler and make sure all parts are supplied

Tools needed
Needle Nose Pliers
10mm socket (3/8 drive with a deep socket is best)
Torx T-15 screwdriver (directions says T-20)
Small Flathead screwdriver
Philips Screwdriver
Scissors
Rubber Washers (optional)

Note > As you remove all parts, bolts and screws, keep them all until you finish installation, a number of them are reused

1) Open hatch, pry off the 2 rubber grommets at each edge of the door. Revealing the bolt heads. You can take them off with your fingers

2) Pry off the centre cover piece, its held by 5 "V" clips, just get your fingers in by the window edge and pull down evenly. It may groan a bit so don't be scared.

3) Using a 10mm socket, unbolt the 4 bolts. (2 under the grommets you removed in step 1, 2 under the panel of step 2
Warning > Do this slowly and it helps if you close the hatch slightly. The bolts have built in washers and will stay on your socket, if you move to fast, they may slip off the socket and slip into the hatch

4) Using the needle nose pliers, squeeze the locking plastic tab and push up so it releases

.5) Close the hatch, tilt the deflector up towards the roof slowly and release the plastic clip which holds the wire for the brake light in place. There should be enough slack now to flip the old deflector over and lay it on the roof.

6) Detach the rubber hose from the deflector and cut the washer hose approx. 2" away from the body, you can now add the hose connector to the 2" hose

7) Release the light from the Brake housing using a small flat head screwdriver, You can now remove the deflector from the car

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
8) Using a flat head screwdriver, push the spray nozzle out. (keep)

9) Using the Torx head screwdriver, remove the old brake light

Now to move to the New Deflector

10) Unscrew the brake light housing from the bottom of the new deflector

11) Remove the 4 plastic bulbs that are covering the screw heads and install the rubber pads as indicated on the directions. The locations are raised, so peal and stick. Please note, this pic has the bulb heads installed, I didn?t notice they were removable and have to be removed

12) Install the nuts into the slots on the backside of the deflector housing removed in step 10, bolt in the brake light

13) Plug in the old spray nozzle into the new hose provided. Now to fish the new hose through, please pay attention to how its? routed

14) Reinstall the brake housing to the new deflector

15) Lay the new deflector on the roof, reconnect the light socket into brake light housing (from step 7), connect up the washer hose to the hose connector installed in step 6. Now feed the screw heads into the holes of the hatch.

16) Being a precautious animal, I slipped on some rubber washers onto the screws from inside the hatch before installing the nuts back. A second defence against water leaks. Same precaution should be taken when bolting the deflector into place, close the hatch slightly and make sure the bolts have threaded onto the screw. I snugged up 2 screws, checked the alignment of the deflector, then tightened all 4 nuts.

ok, the above picture may seem a little off, I didn't realize I didn't totally lock the brake light housing into the rear of the deflector when I screwed it in in step 14. (see the gap) a little push up and it snapped into place.

17) Test the brake light and rear window washer

18) Reassemble the panel and 2 grommets you removed at the start

Your done

Its been raining ever since the install, a final pic will follow.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Very nicely done. :worshippy: Thank you for the info. Where did you get this spoiler from? What difficulty level would you rate this work at on a 1-10 scale?

Of note to readers of this, there's some kind of conflict in uploading Word files to these boards that changes a quotation mark into a question mark. Just trying to help with possible confusion.

Joe

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I noticed quotation as well as apostrophe, I was going to edit tonight.

The spoiler is from Mopar (Dodge), part number will be added in.
The install is easy enough, no special talents needed. As a do it yourself project I'd rate it a 7, only because there are several parts to keep track of, as well as original directions were lacking. (With my directions as suppliment info, I think it could rated a 4-5)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Look foward to seeing some pictures of it from a few different angles. How was the paint match to the car? I have been thinking of this for a while now and a few pictures and your input might make it happen.

Thanks,
Howie

G

·
Mad props to xcanuck! I just got the spoiler last night as an early B-day present from my bro-in-law who is tight with the local Dodge GM. He got it for $200 CDN so tonight i get to install with the help of your "duck-soup easy" instructions! Thanks again...rep points coming your way!:worshippy:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just installed a silver one on my car and it looks great! Thanks a lot for the much clearer instructions. It took me about 1.5 hours to do it (not bad for being mechanically challenged LOL), and it probably saved me at least $60 in labour. I'll post pics of my car when my other goodies arrive and are installed.

BTW, I gave you some rep points.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I just installed a silver one on my car and it looks great! Thanks a lot for the much clearer instructions. It took me about 1.5 hours to do it (not bad for being mechanically challenged LOL), and it probably saved me at least $60 in labour. I'll post pics of my car when my other goodies arrive and are installed.

BTW, I gave you some rep points.
Would love to see pictures now of it on silver. That is the only body mod I'm considering for our silver SXT and would love to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Hi! jefzin24, You can order one from Chrysler, painted to match your car. A year ago they were around $450.00, now you can get one for $279.00, painted and ready to put on your car. This is where i order most of my parts from. They have fast shipping and the lowest prices on most of their parts. www.wyckoffchryslerparts.com click on the Caliber section. They have the color matched Mopar spoiler on sale for $279.00. Can't beat that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Please help in picture #10 you have the light cover for the srt spoiler. the one that I ordered did not come with it. If you still have the picture, I need the part number off it.Long story but the dealer can't find the part# . I can almost read the numbeer in your picture but not quite. Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Reactions: LYC79
1 - 20 of 36 Posts