Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'll be short. Took my 2009 sxt fwd in to the shop because I had a check engine light and stuck brake caliper. Mechanic calls me and says to junk my car because subframe is rotted and not worth the $3k to fix both the frame and stock brake caliper. I'm a college student days away from leaving Andy only option is to fix the car at the shop for $3k, go to another shop and hope for a better price, fix it myself, or get a loan for a car I cannot afford.

·
Super Moderator
12,638 Posts
About right

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you are reasonably handy, you could replace the subframe yourself. Parts cost alone is probably $500-$1k depending on what other things need to be replaced along the way.

Check Youtube for how to videos.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good,
Change mechanic, hehehe
If the caliper is bad, it is rectified or perhaps just replace seals.
The Subframe if that's what you mean. A sheet metal worker can sand it down for you, clean it up and paint it. If it is very bad or one of scrap or new.

Greetings.

·
Registered
882 Posts
While the subframe and caliper replacement are within the capabilities of a home mechanic you should look over the general condition of the car rust-wise before proceeding. Replacing the subframe isn't a horrible job and the caliper is usually pretty easy, but if the rest of the body is rotted out it makes no sense to start replacing things.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2009 regarding the subframe. I sold the car a few years ago but I had the subframe replaced by Dodge in 2017 through a recall from FCA Canada titled "Front and Rear Crossmember Extended Warranty" The bad news is that the warranty was extended to 10 years unlimited mileage from 3 years 60,000 kilometers so theoretically it expired in 2019 so you may be out of luck there. Worth a try at Customer Care?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I'll be short. Took my 2009 sxt fwd in to the shop because I had a check engine light and stuck brake caliper. Mechanic calls me and says to junk my car because subframe is rotted and not worth the $3k to fix both the frame and stock brake caliper. I'm a college student days away from leaving Andy only option is to fix the car at the shop for $3k, go to another shop and hope for a better price, fix it myself, or get a loan for a car I cannot afford.
I replaced the front k frame about 6 months ago, and with a tow my mechanic charged $1600. I have a 2011 with 190,000 now and plan to drive him til he won't drive any more. Was under there last night and see that the rust is pretty bad elsewhere. I knew an insurance salesman that pushed the issue because the K frame was a recall and got his covered! But like I said he is an insurance salesman. I agree buy the brake caliper and look for someone else. Rockauto is great. LuAnn~

1 - 11 of 11 Posts