Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a 2008 Dodge Caliber SE 2.0L. My rear defroster and air re circulation buttons do not work. The defroster button will only stay lit as long as it is pressed down, then turn off. The re circulation button will not light up at all when pressed. These are long standing issues but only now do I have time to try and debug them.

I am first trying to debug potential issues with my rear defroster (as I can easily test the functionality), and I first would like to check to see if the fuse is blown, but I am having trouble identifying which one it is. I have already found the below attachment, which does not help because it does not mention the functions of the fuses. Does anybody have this information in a repair manual or know how I might get this information? Or any possible leads on what the issue might be? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Did you scroll down the download? I can see what seems to indicate that # 25 fuse is for the rear defrost. It's a 10 amp fuse. Even if it looks okay, try swapping it with another 10 amp fuse that you KNOW is good. If that doesn't get it working, then you might want to take a close look at the grid on the rear window. If any of the wires in it are broken, it's not going to work. I THINK you can buy a repair kit for the grids at most auto parts stores. I don't need mine here in FL. It's too damned hot to ever need to use the rear defrost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! I totally missed that when looking through the list. Thanks! I'll try both those things. Yea, up here we get a ton of snow so its super useful to have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I pulled out the fuse, visual inspection was good. Did a continuity test with the fuse pulled out, got about 40 ohms, which is good. Used a multi-meter to measure the resistance of the traces on the back windshield. Everything is good. However, I get no voltage across the traces when I try to turn the defroster on, so I assume there is a break in the circuit elsewhere. I assume the next step would be to pull off the plastic trunk cover and try to find the defroster tabs that make the electrical connection. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with Tom on this. I don't really think the problem is in the grid or with the connections. See if you're getting power to the switch. If you have power to it, odds are that Tom nailed the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I wonder what could be wrong with the switch pack? I made a short video showing the test I did. Took the buttons off and simulated button presses. Maybe there is a timer that shuts off the defroster right away, or maybe something else is wrong, like a bad relay in the TIPM.

https://youtu.be/gblvYKIq92w

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also found out that the re-circulation button does indeed work, the settings just have to be set a certain way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an update. I have narrowed the problem down to the rear defroster relay in the TIPM. If you want to know how I have come to this conclusion I can explain, but only if someone is interested in hearing. I can get a replacement relay, but I cannot seem to find a drawing identifying which relays are which. Does anyone know if such a drawing can be obtained? Thanks

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Check the numbers on the relays in the box. A LOT of them are the same and you can interchange them. I'd try swapping them around and see if one activates the rear defroster. Then, you can get one at your local stealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an update. I have narrowed the problem down to the rear defroster relay in the TIPM. If you want to know how I have come to this conclusion I can explain, but only if someone is interested in hearing. I can get a replacement relay, but I cannot seem to find a drawing identifying which relays are which. Does anyone know if such a drawing can be obtained? Thanks
Have you finally fixed this? How?
Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts