Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my wipers to the Rain-X Lattitude, 17" and 24" for the front, and a 12" Weatherbeater for the rear.......Yes, a 12" wiper will fit, at least this one did, it comes pretty close to the rear spoiler, but makes it fine.:smileup: What a difference a good wiper can make. I was using Bosch Icons before, no complaints. The rear wiper that I was using before was an Exact fit Teflon blade, it was less than a year old, and it was horrible how much it chattered. With the new blade, it is a smooth as a babies bum!! I highly reccomend using these wiper blades.

http://www.rainx.com/Products/Wiper_Blades/Latitude.aspx

·
Super Moderator
12,141 Posts
Yep the 12" is also used on the old Rav-4 and the dimensions are the same.

Has your front visibility now improved when wipers are in park?

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, are you thinking that the wipers apply Rain-X? Even if they did it wouldn't matter, I use Rain-x on all of my windows, and I won't live without it.:smileup:

·
Super Moderator
12,141 Posts
No, are you thinking that the wipers apply Rain-X? Even if they did it wouldn't matter, I use Rain-x on all of my windows, and I won't live without it.:smileup:
I have applied Rain-x and it works well, only down side is it has to be reapplied.

The flat profiles obscure less field of vision than the original sprung blades.

For reference the Cali rear window arm clearance accomodates a sweep of 14.5" radius.
The original 11" blade has a sweep radius of 14.3" and the arm mount point is 9".
The RAV4 12" blade has a sweep radius of 14.5" with the same arm mount point of 9".

(The later model of RAV4 no longer has the stright wiper arm)

·
Registered
54 Posts
i was gonna get some latitudes today but they didnt have a 16". its good to know that a 17" will work

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was gonna get some latitudes today but they didnt have a 16". its good to know that a 17" will work
The standard size for the Caliber is 17" and 24", and 11" for the rear.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've been using the rain-x "type" blades on my vehicles for years now. They've been available as "reflex" at our Cdn-tire, followed by "rain-x" at Walmart. Been happy with them, they seem to last slightly longer that the regular spring type.
Right now I'm trying the Michlin version of them, nothing negative to say and they are half the price vs our reflex. (available at ostco)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Living in Seattle, I had tried Rain-X coating on my windows, but it needed to be reapplied every month there. Then I discovered Aquapel http://www.aquapel.com/index.php, it's like Rain-X on steriods. Only needs to be applied about every year. Works awesome. I don't bother using the wipers at any speed above 35 mph.

Some people pay glass installers to apply it, but it's just an applicator that you wipe the Aquapel on and then wipe off with a paper towel. Pep Boys carries it. Usually they charged $10 per applicator (one will do all the windows on the Cali), but one time I went in and they were only carging $2.50 each ... so I bought the whole case!

I'll have to try the blades when it's time for a replacement.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have the Rain-X on my car, probably for about a month now. Not fairing so well in our sloppy winters, they are already warped or dont get enough downpressure on them to clear the bottom 1/4 of the blade or the middle of the passenger side. They worked great that first month though :p

Not a fan of the Canadian Tire ones either, I bent the driver side with not too much difficulty one day while scraping the snow/ice off the windshield. I only just nicked it with the corner and that was enough to bend it. Could never bend it back the same.

So far the best wipers I've had for winter are those old clunkers wrapped in rubber.

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the Rain-X on my car, probably for about a month now. Not fairing so well in our sloppy winters, they are already warped or dont get enough downpressure on them to clear the bottom 1/4 of the blade or the middle of the passenger side. They worked great that first month though :p

Not a fan of the Canadian Tire ones either, I bent the driver side with not too much difficulty one day while scraping the snow/ice off the windshield. I only just nicked it with the corner and that was enough to bend it. Could never bend it back the same.

So far the best wipers I've had for winter are those old clunkers wrapped in rubber.
You have the lattitudes? I suppose the tough Canadian winters would reak havok on any blade.:str:

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
flat profiles obscure less field of vision than the original sprung blades.
Since it's been so long that I had the original blades on, I can't remember....sorry!!

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suppose I bought these too, because they were buy one get one free, can't beat that deal!!!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

My relex ones seem to last 1 1/2 to 2 years on my truck, my bud barely got a few months out of his (first set was replaced free of charge), from what we can tell, they seem to be hit and miss.

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Living in Seattle, I had tried Rain-X coating on my windows, but it needed to be reapplied every month there. Then I discovered Aquapel http://www.aquapel.com/index.php, it's like Rain-X on steriods. Only needs to be applied about every year. Works awesome. I don't bother using the wipers at any speed above 35 mph.

Some people pay glass installers to apply it, but it's just an applicator that you wipe the Aquapel on and then wipe off with a paper towel. Pep Boys carries it. Usually they charged $10 per applicator (one will do all the windows on the Cali), but one time I went in and they were only carging $2.50 each ... so I bought the whole case!

I'll have to try the blades when it's time for a replacement.
I've heard of that, but haven't tried it as I'm happy with Rain-X. I only apply it once a year too, but I use the Rain-X Glass cleaner, and windshield washer fluid to keep the water beading all year round.:smileup:

·
Super Moderator
12,141 Posts
My relex ones seem to last 1 1/2 to 2 years on my truck, my bud barely got a few months out of his (first set was replaced free of charge), from what we can tell, they seem to be hit and miss.
The flat blades come in a silicone version too. Should they not last like the old lifetime warranty tripledge variant?

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The flat blades come in a silicone version too. Should they not last like the old lifetime warranty tripledge variant?
Even the wipers in the link you posted are only guaranteed for a year. I just can't imagine any wiper lasting much monger than that, no matter what they make it from.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Glenn, i have been using these on the front since i got my caliber, they are the same although we call them flat wiper blades here, have you one of these on the rear also.. might do the same..:smileup:

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Glenn, i have been using these on the front since i got my caliber, they are the same although we call them flat wiper blades here, have you one of these on the rear also.. might do the same..:smileup:
I have no doubt that you can stretch the limits on how long you can use a wiper, but I don't recommend go any longer than a year. Your wipers pick up contaminents and dry rot over time, this can cause the wipers to scatch the surface of your glass permanently. I know this because the wipers on our work trucks have this problem, as the wipers are not replaced very frequently. Brendon, I promise that if you replace your wipers, you should see an improvment on how well they work, if not then you have one amazing set of wipers.....LOL!

At the present moment, they don't make a flat blade small enough to fit for the rear wiper. I would like to get one if they do.

·
Super Moderator
12,141 Posts
Even the wipers in the link you posted are only guaranteed for a year. I just can't imagine any wiper lasting much monger than that, no matter what they make it from.
The Tripledge ones worked. I bought a set and am still using them on another car.
I wondered about their business model as I have never needed to replace them!

Tripledge has a special hydrophobic property that allows water to bead up on your windshield, which prevents smearing and will improve your overall vision quality.

Tripledge Premium Silicone Wipers come with the industry's only LIFE time warranty against cracking, tearing, rotting or wearing out for as long as you own your car. Upgrade your confidence in your windshield wipers, and put Tripledge on your car today.

"Thank you for manufacturing a quality product that works as advertised. Your product has made wiper blade replacement every other year a thing of the past!"

At the present moment, they don't make a flat blade small enough to fit for the rear wiper. I would like to get one if they do.
They make a 12" which should fit.

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Tripledge ones worked. I bought a set and am still using them on another car.
I wondered about their business model as I have never needed to replace them!

They make a 12" which should fit.
I have used them before, and I still wouldn't use them for too long for the reasons I stated.

Triplegde makes a 12"? or a company that makes the flat blade? There is no way to find it on that link you posted.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts