Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

hope that was a breather hose - I did tighten up the hose clip.

No idea - a UJ on a driveshaft maybe

Some kind of bell housing

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Top picture - I'm going to say some hose in the cooling system - the braid under the outer rubber jacket says it is rated for some sort of pressure, and it looks big enough to be a radiator hose. Or air hose if you have a turbo - from intercooler to somewhere else.

Middle picture - looks like its held semi-solidly to something - probably not a U-Joint.
maybe a suspension part - stabiliser, torsion bar or the like.

Bottom pictue - Air conditioner accumulator / receiver

Those are my "educated guesses"

·
Super Moderator
12,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

1. If it was a cooling circuit I would expect staining from the coolant not this black oil.
I do have a turbo - air and oil vapor is what I was thinking. Normal if it was just blowing past a loose clip.

2. That is driping, onto the mat attached to the tray when installed.
Could not see anything that might be a failed strut.
As this is from the bottom maybe it's dripping down from something else.

3. A pressure reservoir makes sense but why would it be covered in oil?

·
Super Moderator
12,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The color led me to think used engine oil, it's also what I had my mind on as I was changing it.
Fuel oil would not be that color but it might have washed down and collected other dirt maybe.

The only one I looked at closely was that bell housing because it was plastic and I suspected it might have come from the A/C.

I don't know of any other kind of oil in the bay.

The fluid levels all look good for Steering, Brake, Coolant.

The ones I do not know about would be gearbox and struts.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
I recently blew a strut. The oil was just on the strut and steering knuckle - it did not travel anywhere else.
I saw a coupl threads you posted about filter changes - any chance of some residual spillage?

·
Super Moderator
12,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was taking pictures of the dismantling while on the ramps. I dropped it for draining, then changed the filter. I don't think I took any pictures after, being the usual "reassembly is the reverse procedure".

Now you've got me thinking though as clearly it was a messy process.

·
Registered
22 Posts

hope that was a breather hose - I did tighten up the hose clip.

---Pressure hose going to intercooler

No idea - a UJ on a driveshaft maybe

---support bracket for passengers side cv shaft (at inner joint)

Some kind of bell housing
--- vacuum canister

Do I win anything??????:jok:
as asked before, is it possibly spillage from oil change?
If not, maybe oil vapor from loose clamp on intercooler hose?

·
Super Moderator
12,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK I have been thinking about it overnight - dreaming about the Caliber as we do must be what the Zzs are for.

The first thing I did was figure out how to drop the engine tray/shield, without access I would not have been able to continue the service. Surely no one would remove an oil filter BEFORE draining out the old oil.

When I removed it I noticed the wet soiled oil patches in the noise insulation mat, that's what led me to search for existing oil leaks.

DK's coolant circuit is the only answer that makes sense at the bottom of the block.
That means it is NOT a hose leak and the clip was already tight enough.
The staining must be blow back from spilled oil.

The car has been serviced by Chrysler twice.
I am speculating that the first thing they do is stick it on the ramp and drain the old oil.
That they then REPLACE the shield BEFORE dropping the car to the ground. (to save lifting it a second time)

Once lowered they then replace the oil filter and that's been the source of the staining on my mat. Replacing the shield was the final step in my service as removing it was the first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.