Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about replacing the stock 6x9's, having already replaced the head unit with a Pioneer 4100UB. I'm no audio buff, but I've been reading all of your helpful posts and I just want to make sure I'm on the right track. I've read that it's better to overpower than underpower your speakers, but I'm not ready to dive into amps and subs just yet. My head unit is labeled as 14 RMS power output, and I've seen several 6x9 speakers that list an RMS range of 2-100, for instance. Am I safe to assume that I can just swap those speakers for my stock speakers and not have to invest in other components such as an amp?
:BL:
Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
So I'm thinking about replacing the stock 6x9's, having already replaced the head unit with a Pioneer 4100UB. I'm no audio buff, but I've been reading all of your helpful posts and I just want to make sure I'm on the right track. I've read that it's better to overpower than underpower your speakers, but I'm not ready to dive into amps and subs just yet. My head unit is labeled as 14 RMS power output, and I've seen several 6x9 speakers that list an RMS range of 2-100, for instance. Am I safe to assume that I can just swap those speakers for my stock speakers and not have to invest in other components such as an amp?
:BL:
Thanks all!
Your on the right track.. check crutchfield and sonic electronix

·
Registered
858 Posts
Agreed. You are safe to assume you can just take the stocks out and throw some aftermarket in. I am not sure about sonic but from crtuchfield you will get a speaker harness for free to plug into your stock harness which will then give you the right connection to the after market speaker. Then you don't have to worry about cutting anything.

I have a set of CDT 6x9 for sale. They are BNIB with a full warranty. I sold a set to another member here and he loved them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If the headunit is rated at 14 watts RMS that is the "continous" power output and they usally have a 50 watt peak rating. The main reason you might want to invest in an aftermarket amp is if you turn the volume up to much the headunit will start to distort and or clip, the sound of the speakers since the headunit can only push out 14 watts, an aftermarket amp can usally push anywhere from 25-100 watts RMS that will allow you to turn the volume up to a louder level with no distortion on the speakers. Distortion and clipping is what can cause damage:jok: to speakers, your best bet is to try the headunit with the new speakers and see if you like the sound if they start to distort at say half volume and you are still looking for more sound from them then I would suggest an amp.

hope this info helps,

Rudy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input, everyone...I love all the information I have learned from this forum! :smileup:

Basher...before I begin, I just wanted to extend my sincere appreciation for your service, and for the service of everyone out there in uniform. The hell with politics, you guys don't get enough credit for all that you sacrifice! Now then...I have read your previous posts about the CDT's and I am intrigued. I read in your post from 7/08 that they were $129.99 shipped, is that the current price? I'd like to do a little listening at the local audio shops to get a feel for what's out there before I commit. However, I'm getting the impression CDT isn't a "mainstream" brand I could find at Best Buy, etc. (which is usually a good thing!)...any idea where I might take a listen to them in the Portland, OR area?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
188 Posts
If your deck is descent adding 6x9 will be no problem. Worry about an amp when you want some subs.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Yeah. You don't need an amp. Just be careful with your volume knob.

dildaydvm - they are actually $95 shipped now. No CDT is deffenitly not "mainstream". Send an email to [email protected]. They will be able to tell you if there are any dealers near you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah. You don't need an amp. Just be careful with your volume knob.

dildaydvm - they are actually $95 shipped now. No CDT is deffenitly not "mainstream". Send an email to [email protected]. They will be able to tell you if there are any dealers near you.

Even better!! Thanks for the info...I'll look into it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts