Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new here and wanted to share what I did with my new purchase of my 2010 Dodge Caliber.
I wanted to stand out from the crowd and found some custom side stripes to put on from Ebay.
At first seemed easy but after a few tries doing exactly what the instruction said I ruined the first set of stripes.
So, after talking with some pro's ( auto body guys face to face ) I realized that there are many different ways to apply stripes or stickers.

Here is my list of what should work for best results:
1. Have a spray bottle with dish detergent and water ( Baby shampoo is non acidic and would work best instead of dish detergent, teaspoon of shampoo will suffice to full bottle of water)
2. White or Grey bondo squeegee
3. plenty of towels
4. Heat gun
5. exacto knife
6. black electrical tape
7. VERY IMPORTANT HERE: TEMP OF DAY WHEN APPLYING IS IMPORTANT. TOO COLD AND STRIPES WILL NOT ADHERE WELL..TOO HOT AND STRIPES "STRETCH" OR BECOME VERY PLAYABLE.

First clean area where you want the stripes thoroughly, then I dry fit the stripes from the top of the wheel well to under the hood. Mark off with electrical tape on edges where you want the stripes to fit in between the tape.

Next I cut the extra bit of paper as close to the stripes as possible ( underlay paper that the stripes are stuck to) DO NOT SEPARATE THE THE TWO STRIPES, just cut around them.

Next, spray your solution on the fender, get squeegee ready, peel back underlay paper half way, apply sticker from bottom or "top of wheel well" between the two black tape markers you put down per dry fit.

squeegee back and forth and upwards with force to push out any bubbles. work your way upwards while peeling back underlay.
Any folds or creases occur.. peel back where crease is, use heat gun to "relax" the stripe and crease will disappear.

Apply more solution when necessary especially after pulling the stripes back, solution may dry

This took me hours to do only because of trial and error..but, I did succeed. hopefully my advice will help you get better results and much quicker.
Rick
IMAG0676.jpg

J

·
0 Posts
I knew what I wanted but nobody sold it, so I approached a local sign writer, Kipart and together we came up with this.
These vinyl decals have been on my car for 2 years. 902169_10201143136007658_134942393_o.jpg And he put them on

·
Registered
341 Posts
I knew what I wanted but nobody sold it, so I approached a local sign writer, Kipart and together we came up with this.
These vinyl decals have been on my car for 2 years. View attachment 8647 And he put them on
Reps for that. That decal is hot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts