Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I feel like an idiot.

I have a 2008 R/T AWD, automatic. When I was driving, I had an issue in the car that required me to stop IMMEDIATELY while driving around 30 mph. I started braking and instinctively threw the shifter to P. The car was still moving, so I heard the ratcheting sound as the pawl was trying to engage. I have read that pieces of the pawl and other components can shear off and cause catastrophic transmission failure. I drove the car around the block afterwards and it seemed ok. Should I be worried? Should I have it looked at? Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Just drive it and don't ever do that again. That's what your ebrake is for.

Whoever instinctively taught you that is dumb.

·
Super Moderator
12,089 Posts
The e-brake is not for stopping in emergencies, applying it while moving will just burn it out.

Known as a parking brake elsewhere, the e(mergency) brake should only/always be applied when absolutely stationary without drive. It's function is to prevent the vehicle rolling away in an emergency if the transmission is knocked out of park.

If you lose pressure in the brake pedal switch to the lowest gear for engine braking.
If you have a runaway locked transmission, turn off the ignition but not the steering lock, then brake softly.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Put the car in park on an incline of some sort and see if it rolls. If it doesn't the pawl is doing its job. If it were me, I'd use the parking brake when the car is in park, not only because it takes the load off of the pawl, but just on the off-chance that the pawl was weakened or suffered some sort of damage.

And as an FYI, you should never suffer a total brake failure on any car made after 1968 or so...law mandates cars use a dual-circuit brake system with one circuit for the front wheels and one for the back. In the case of a brake line rupture only one circuit will run dry and fail. We see so many old movies about gangsters cutting brake lines and cars careening down mountain roads unable to stop that it's become one of those falsehoods that everybody thinks is true. :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
The e-brake is not for stopping in emergencies, applying it while moving will just burn it out.

Known as a parking brake elsewhere, the e(mergency) brake should only/always be applied when absolutely stationary without drive. It's function is to prevent the vehicle rolling away in an emergency if the transmission is knocked out of park.

If you lose pressure in the brake pedal switch to the lowest gear for engine braking.
If you have a runaway locked transmission, turn off the ignition but not the steering lock, then brake softly.

My drivers training from 18 years ago begs to differ. We were 100% trained to do evasive emergency braking with the ebrake handle.

I've done plenty of winter e brake turns for fun and have never had to replace my e brake shoes. However have seen plenty of instances where idiots drive around with the e brake on all the time and burn off their shoes.

·
Super Moderator
12,089 Posts
We've all driven off with the e-brake on, even James Bond during Goldeneye.

I was thinking back to the policeman wrecking on the highway off-ramp. Anyone see a final report?
It was a push button off - I think Lexus?. Cannot remove key without engaging park, footbrake faded after throttle stuck on full, unfamiliar tranny pattern and in manual mode, for some reason choose off-ramp instead of highway verges - maybe traffic ahead?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts