Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have two 12" subs that are inverted meaning that the positive and negatives gates are on the outside and easily accessible. I just recently installed lights under my dash by pulling from my cigarette lighter power supply and they work fine. My next addition I would like it to make lights pulse to the beat of my music. I thought I'd ask on here because you guys can help me along the way and not just give me a one time, non-responsive answer.

My understanding: The subwoofers release the bass when the current is run to the amp and then the amp amplifies it to power the subs. So to make the lights pulse to the beat of my music, I could plug the corresponding pos and neg wires the the pos and neg feeds on my subs. I'm thinking that the amps wouldn't match up too nicely so I'm guessing I would need some kind of device like a resistor to compensate the difference. Please pardon me on my ignorance.. and feel free to correct where I am wrong.

Thanks for any response!!

Here is a picture of my lights if anyone cares. I'm still in the phase of being proud of myself haha

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Reps for the pic. I like the lights! I can't help you with the pulse thing, because I don't know anything about that stuff. I do know the TIPM is very sensitive to changes in voltage that it reads, so you need someone with experience to help you out. If you get no replies here, try calling Crutchfield.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
If you have LED lights, they could be wired in parallel with the subs. You will need to add resistors to the circuit. How powerful is the sub amp, and how many ohms are the subs? With that info we could estimate the resistor you'll need. Also, are the LED's directly powered by 12vdc?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have LED lights, they could be wired in parallel with the subs. You will need to add resistors to the circuit. How powerful is the sub amp, and how many ohms are the subs? With that info we could estimate the resistor you'll need. Also, are the LED's directly powered by 12vdc?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_136_Audiobahn-AW1251T.html

That site says my subs are 4 ohms.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_28327_TIS-Audio-T510A-R-B.html

Thats my amp.. 700 watts total output power, 300 watt mono channel for the sub, 400 watts (100 x 4) for speakers

I would also like to know if my subwoofer set up is good.. I dont expect it to be great since I got both the subs and the amp for free from 2 different friends but would like to know if they compliment each other enough or if I should get a new amp. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
300 watts into a 4 ohm load is about 36VAC. so you have about 3 times the voltage that you need for the LED's. Do you know how much current (mA) they draw?
If we presume 20 mA is the draw, you need to drop 24V at 20 mA.
Using Ohm's law we need about a 1200 ohm 1 watt resistor to do this.

We can better calculate the resistor if you can say what the actual draw of the lights is.

As far as your existing system goes, there is always room for improvement, but - you can't beat free.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
300 watts into a 4 ohm load is about 36VAC. so you have about 3 times the voltage that you need for the LED's. Do you know how much current (mA) they draw?
If we presume 20 mA is the draw, you need to drop 24V at 20 mA.
Using Ohm's law we need about a 1200 ohm 1 watt resistor to do this.

We can better calculate the resistor if you can say what the actual draw of the lights is.

As far as your existing system goes, there is always room for improvement, but - you can't beat free.

I have yet to buy more lights for this project. I was kind of waiting until I knew the process of completing it or if it was possible. So in reality, I could get whatever is cheapest-most suitable. Probably get some off ebay or at walmart. Any suggestions?

Would these suffice? http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-15-LED-...429089?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item19dd722a61 It say DC 12V but I think you knew that seeing you mentioned I have 3 times the amount needed.. I'm not sure how to find the mA but I will try my best to find it

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They draw 2A per 16' of lights. I think you have a two 1' sections, correct? I don't recall exactly what you said in your last thread.
Thats correct, my last strips drew 2A per 16" of lights. And these are 30 cm ~ 11.81in so pretty much the same length.

And I'm guessing I also need an inline fuse, correct?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts