Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Dodge Caliber and I would like to know what is the popping sounds I hear coming from the steering wheel. Sometimes I comes from the passenger side, notice when I turn on my a/c the popping sound is more consistent, when I don’t turn on my A/C The popping sound don’t happen as often. I also know my tranny is slipping but no check engine light on. I live in Phoenix Az looking for an affordable place to fix my car. Please help !!

·
Registered
106 Posts
First thing's first; have your tranny serviced. If that dies, you might as well buy another car.

And, how many miles on it. When did you last change out the serpentine belt?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 2011 Dodge Caliber and I would like to know what is the popping sounds I hear coming from the steering wheel. Sometimes I comes from the passenger side, notice when I turn on my a/c the popping sound is more consistent, when I don’t turn on my A/C The popping sound don’t happen as often.
Does this happen all the time? While driving? While turning? Is it accompanied by any other problems?

I also know my tranny is slipping but no check engine light on. I live in Phoenix Az looking for an affordable place to fix my car. Please help !!
This is a very serious issue. I assume you have the CVT automatic transmission. Get an transmission oil change done by the dealer. If that does not fix it, I would sell the car ASAP.

Don't wait until the transmission dies to sell the car.

CVT type transmissions are no good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven’t done a transmission oil change in about two lol yes I am a female so don’t really know how to care for my care. I got oil change and also my spark plugs and all that good stuff I can’t tell yuh how often just know the car let’s me know. It’s very close to 197,000

·
Registered
106 Posts
My local Dodge dealership told me the transmission fluid should be changed every 80,000 miles.

I had mine changed at 120,000 when I bought the car. At the dealership, I think it cost me around $300, but well worth the money - I've no interest in doing that myself.

The popping noise could be a number of things; the serpentine belt coming apart, bearings on the alternator gone bad, if the noise only happens while driving it could be the CV joints.

But, transmission first - while there, you could ask them if they know what's making the noise you hear. Two birds, and all...

·
Registered
595 Posts
If you turn on the HVAC system and you hear a bunch of repetitive plasticky clicking sounds coming from the area of the center console or the far passenger side area, you have one or more faulty blend door actuators. The plastic gears in them are damaged and are slipping against each other. I did a video describing how to replace them:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts