Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please help, I’m not a mechanic at all but thanks to YouTube I’ve learned quite a bit. I’ve got teenage girls so saving money by doing as many repairs myself as possible is important! Haha
My 2007 caliber has over 100,000 miles on it. It has been very sluggish, poor acceleration, rough idle and sometimes smells like fuel inside the car. About a week ago after waiting at the bus stop in park for about 10 minutes my car would not go above 20. I borrowed a car for the day and the next day my car seemed a little better so I drive to work. At lunch time it was having a tough time starting. It would try to turn over but then quit. After about 6 or 7 tries it started and ran a bit rough but ok enough. Same thing happened when I left work for the day. I’ve had it sitting for a few days and have started it every morning and it starts fine. Yesterday I drove it around the neighborhood and it drives but it’s still driving roughly. There’s also times where the rpms go down to about 500/700 and feels like it might stall. I bought a code reader and it gave the following: P077, P0456, P0700 and P0302. I’ve recently changed the spark plugs and had a rebuilt transmission put in around 30,000 miles ago. Any idea what I should do? Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, I I hear you about trying to save money. I hope this info helps but also give a visual inspection of all the related wiring harness and connectors. It could be (but may not be) as simple as a damaged component and or a broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pin. Included a link at the bottom for more on the engine codes, as you know YouTube is good for info and fixes as well, but for some of these codes you may need a professional with the correct equipment and skill to get to the bottom of these.

P0777 - Pressure Control Solenoid 'B' Stuck On
Transmission shift shock

(possible causes)

Low transmission fluid level
Dirty transmission fluid
Faulty line pressure solenoid 'B' valve
Line pressure solenoid 'B' valve harness is open or shorted
Line pressure solenoid 'B' valve circuit poor electrical connection

P0456 - EVAP System Small Leak
noticeable fuel odor caused by the release of fuel vapours

(possible causes)

Missing or loose fuel cap
Incorrect fuel filler cap used
Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) canister or fuel tank leaks
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system hose leaking
Fuel tank leaking

P0700 - Transaxle Control System Malfunction
Driveability problems
Transmission shifting problems

(possible causes)

Shorted or open circuit within Transmission Control Module (TCM)
Faulty Transmission Control Module (TCM)

P0302 - Cylinder Misfire Fault Detected
Lack/loss of power
Hard start Engine hesitation

(possible causes)

Faulty spark plug
Clogged or faulty fuel injector
Faulty ignition coil
Fuel injector harness is open or shorted
Fuel injector circuit poor electrical connection
Ignition coil harness is open or shorted
Insufficient cylinder compression
Incorrect fuel pressure Intake air leak

Again hope this helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
About a week ago after waiting at the bus stop in park for about 10 minutes my car would not go above 20...
This and a few of the codes are pointing to an issue with the CVT transmission. This could be as simple as needing a transmission fluid change or as bad as needing a new transmission.

Don't wait for the transmission problem to get worse. If a transmission fluid change does not fix the problem, you should consider selling the car because your next step would be a transmission rebuild or a new transmission.

Most cars with CVT transmissions depreciate rapidly because the transmissions don't last long and are not worth fixing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This and a few of the codes are pointing to an issue with the CVT transmission. This could be as simple as needing a transmission fluid change or as bad as needing a new transmission.

Don't wait for the transmission problem to get worse. If a transmission fluid change does not fix the problem, you should consider selling the car because your next step would be a transmission rebuild or a new transmission.

Most cars with CVT transmissions depreciate rapidly because the transmissions don't last long and are not worth fixing.
Thank you, I’ll try the transmission fluid change

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, I I hear you about trying to save money. I hope this info helps but also give a visual inspection of all the related wiring harness and connectors. It could be (but may not be) as simple as a damaged component and or a broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pin. Included a link at the bottom for more on the engine codes, as you know YouTube is good for info and fixes as well, but for some of these codes you may need a professional with the correct equipment and skill to get to the bottom of these.

P0777 - Pressure Control Solenoid 'B' Stuck On
Transmission shift shock

(possible causes)

Low transmission fluid level
Dirty transmission fluid
Faulty line pressure solenoid 'B' valve
Line pressure solenoid 'B' valve harness is open or shorted
Line pressure solenoid 'B' valve circuit poor electrical connection

P0456 - EVAP System Small Leak
noticeable fuel odor caused by the release of fuel vapours

(possible causes)

Missing or loose fuel cap
Incorrect fuel filler cap used
Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) canister or fuel tank leaks
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system hose leaking
Fuel tank leaking

P0700 - Transaxle Control System Malfunction
Driveability problems
Transmission shifting problems

(possible causes)

Shorted or open circuit within Transmission Control Module (TCM)
Faulty Transmission Control Module (TCM)

P0302 - Cylinder Misfire Fault Detected
Lack/loss of power
Hard start Engine hesitation

(possible causes)

Faulty spark plug
Clogged or faulty fuel injector
Faulty ignition coil
Fuel injector harness is open or shorted
Fuel injector circuit poor electrical connection
Ignition coil harness is open or shorted
Insufficient cylinder compression
Incorrect fuel pressure Intake air leak

Again hope this helps.
Thank you. I’ve ordered an ignition coil pack and will start there since it’s the easiest to do. I’m also bringing it it in for a transmission fluid change. Hopefully that’ll do it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts