Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plastidiped the chrome portion of my grill, except for the dodge emblem, and I think it came out nicer than expected. I was thinking about cutting out the "fins" in the grill and replacing them with some stainless mesh but I think I like the blacked out plastic look. I think it makes the front end look bigger.

The product:

The results:

I chose plastidip because it isn't permanent and it has the texture I wanted. If I decide later I want red I can change it easily.

You'll have to excuse the quality of the pics, they're from my phone.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone!

TSmall89 - You don't have to sand anything. I removed the grill and then separated the chrome from the black fins and just cleaned it really well with dish soap and water. From what I read online plastidip sticks to virtually any surface.

·
Registered
374 Posts
That looks good i have a few cans in my garage that i was gonna urs for my wheels, But i think im gonna do that instead...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Removing the grill is easy.

There are 6 10mm bolts and a handfull of phillips head screws holding the plastic panel above the radiator on.

Then you can pull the front fascia forward enough to access the 6 hollow nuts that hold the grill on. I could remove mine by hand but incase you need a wrench the size is 11mm.

After you get the nuts off the grill should pull out with a little resistance.

Then to sepparate the chrome part from the plastic fins there are a serries of tabs that hold the two together. You can pry them appart without worrying about hurting anything sice they are all hidden.

I should have made a how to.

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Nice job and nice write up :rep: Hopefully I'll find a similar product here, boyfriend wants to remove all chromes from his Nitro to have a blacked out look... and I think also my Caliber would look good ;)

·
Registered
622 Posts
looks like something that needs to be done on mine too! lol. also, how did you make that intake mod thing where the batter cover goes? ive heard that those help air intake a good deal

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's just a prototype. It's the third in my trials and tribulations of making something that not only peforms well but looks good too. Right now I'm working on the performs well aspect of it.

What I did, or keep doing, is make a posterboard template and transfer it to sheet metal. Then cut and rivit it together.

As for how well it works because of the computer it adds nothing to off the line power (at least with a cvt) but when you're moving it's like night and day. Way more pull when the motor's already up to speed.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
The all black grille really adds "visual interest" to the car - reps to you!!

Now - please do something with that galvanized air intake!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
This looks like a really sexy, EASY mod....and is it true that if you change your mind later it just peels off?? Does it chip at all?

Reps to .20 Caliber for even providing wrench size! You ARE awesome! :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts