Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had Pirelli P4’s installed a couple of days ago and have noticed a huge night and day difference between the Firestones and the new Pirelli’s. All I can say is WOW! The ride is so much different and more controlled than with the old tires. First of all the dry traction is what I expected with the Pirelli’s, they grip quite well.

The wet test was the first test for the tires as it rained the day I had the tires put on. With the old tires if you gun it when wet the car bounces quite bad and shakes madly, but with the new tires there was no slip on the tires as well. These tires are awesome for cornering as well. I don’t have any modifications done to the suspension or anything so when you cornered hard before the car rolled a lot and slides. Not with the Pirelli, I took some of my usual corners in the city pretty hard and very minimal slip. Some slip is expected with the speed I was going at. The true test was when I drove on the over pass/curve on a bridge I always take coming back into the city I live on. Before when I went into the curve at 80 kph the tires would screech and slide a bit. I took the same corner tonight at 80kph and no squeal or screeching just stuck to the pavement.

For the second test tonight, I took the car on a night 150 km trip when I knew the highway’s were empty so I can test out the tires at different speeds. There is very little road noise with these tires compared to the old tires, even when traveling at 120 kph. Before all I could hear was the road noise from the tires and had to really crank the stereo up to hear it.

In the next couple of days I will have the tire photos up here. I went with the stock size for my SXT, tire size: 215/60R/17’s.

The bad thing about the Firestone’s is that they had a 80,000 km warranty. I’m only at 55,000 km on the car and the tires were near completely bald. L

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts
I had no doubt in my mind that the Pirellis were going to be leaps and bound above the Firestones. When I replaced mine it was a world of difference. :smileup:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I recently had Pirelli P4’s installed a couple of days ago and have noticed a huge night and day difference between the Firestones and the new Pirelli’s. All I can say is WOW! The ride is so much different and more controlled than with the old tires. First of all the dry traction is what I expected with the Pirelli’s, they grip quite well.

The wet test was the first test for the tires as it rained the day I had the tires put on. With the old tires if you gun it when wet the car bounces quite bad and shakes madly, but with the new tires there was no slip on the tires as well. These tires are awesome for cornering as well. I don’t have any modifications done to the suspension or anything so when you cornered hard before the car rolled a lot and slides. Not with the Pirelli, I took some of my usual corners in the city pretty hard and very minimal slip. Some slip is expected with the speed I was going at. The true test was when I drove on the over pass/curve on a bridge I always take coming back into the city I live on. Before when I went into the curve at 80 kph the tires would screech and slide a bit. I took the same corner tonight at 80kph and no squeal or screeching just stuck to the pavement.

For the second test tonight, I took the car on a night 150 km trip when I knew the highway’s were empty so I can test out the tires at different speeds. There is very little road noise with these tires compared to the old tires, even when traveling at 120 kph. Before all I could hear was the road noise from the tires and had to really crank the stereo up to hear it.

In the next couple of days I will have the tire photos up here. I went with the stock size for my SXT, tire size: 215/60R/17’s.

The bad thing about the Firestone’s is that they had a 80,000 km warranty. I’m only at 55,000 km on the car and the tires were near completely bald. L
i got rid of my crap stones at 17000km...

i'm pretty sure hollow plastic tires would have been better than them...(like the power wheel vehicles get)

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts
i got rid of my crap stones at 17000km...

i'm pretty sure hollow plastic tires would have been better than them...(like the power wheel vehicles get)
LMAO!!! That's a funny description for the Firestones. :jok:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At the car shop I had the tires installed at he said your still under the 5 year Warranty of Firestone for the tires. I said I wasn't going to waste my time dealing with them and possibly getting replacements. They would just be replacement Firestone's and I'm not going to give anymore business to Firestone ever again!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what size of tire did you get? what are the specs on it for the P5? I stuck with the OEM size and everything.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Same as factory. 215-60-r17s. Hold so much better then those damn Firestones that came on the bitch. The P5 uses a high tread rating (770) but have a Ultra-High Performance tread pattern and build. Take the P4s and add the look of a Low-Pro UHF to it. Came with 100k mile warranty.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Pirelli's must have come a long way since 1985. I had an 84 Chrylser Laser XE turbo that I put a set of Pirelli's on after wearing out the OEM tires in 18,000 miles. They were some of the worst tires I'd ever had. Not as bad as Firestones or Riken's but pretty bad. I ended up putting Bridgestones on it for the rest of the time I owned it.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Pirelli's must have come a long way since 1985. I had an 84 Chrylser Laser XE turbo that I put a set of Pirelli's on after wearing out the OEM tires in 18,000 miles. They were some of the worst tires I'd ever had. Not as bad as Firestones or Riken's but pretty bad. I ended up putting Bridgestones on it for the rest of the time I owned it.
No matter what tire manufacturer you look at, they will have great tires right down to crap tires.

·
Super Moderator
12,093 Posts
Pirelli in 2011 replaced Bridgestone as the sole tire supplier to the F1 series.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts