Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Dodge Caliber's front passenger window rolls down fine, but now will not roll up with either the switch on the door or the master switch on the driver's side. I was trying to remove the door panel to be able to get to the switch and motor to either repair or replace the switch or to just arc some electricity to the motor to get the window up at least. I've located screws under the door handle, inside the armrest, and two at the bottom of the door, but after removing them all I still can't get the door panel off! Is there another screw somewhere I can't seem to find I need to take off? Is there an easier way to get to the switch without having to remove the entire door? Should I be doing all of this on the driver's side master switch and not worrying about the slave switch on the passenger door? (Oh, all the other windows go up and down just fine with their individual switches as well as the master switch - only the front passenger one is not working). Any help/tips/advice/opinions on this would be greatly appreciated!!! Especially as we're in the middle of a cold snap here in FL, so driving with the window down would be a real pain in the butt!! I've had experience replacing the switches and motors in my Dad's car, so not a complete novice at this - I just can't get the damned door panel off to fix my own!

Thanks in advance!!:doh:

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
In our knowledgebase section, I think there are a couple of photo essays for how to get the switch panels out and how to access the window motors.
You might have either a bad master switch, bad passenger side window switch or a broken or loose wire between the switches.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Once you can access the switches, you can use an ohm meter to check continuity of the switch contacts. We have links to a downloadable service manual on the forum.
Page 8W-60-2 shows the wiring of the master switch and the passenger side switch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed the panel around the switches for now to check them over and saw no problems there. As it's past midnight and freezing out, I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to go further into the door and check the conductivity of the switches as well. Is there a way to "arc" the motor to get it to go up? I've jumped the currents on another car and got it to work before, just didn't know how likely that was to work in this situation. Thanks for the link, it helped a lot!! (DAMN, there are a LOT of screws in these doors!! LOL)

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
If you download the service manual, and look at the diagram, you'll find the motor. If you remove the switch wires from the motor, you could directly power the motor from a 12VDC source (maybe even a few amp battery charger) to get the window up.
Even without a diagram, once you get into the door, the motor leads should be obvious,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks for all the help guys! I found some loose solder points inside the master switch and had the hubby re-solder them for me (sometimes it's great to have an in-house computer/electrical engineer!). The window now functions perfectly! Just in time, too as we got a lovely rain storm and the car barely fits inside my garage. Thanks so much for all the help, I really love this forum! I've managed to fix any and all issues that have popped up with my Caliber! Love that little car!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Good work with the fix! Congrats on not spending a couple hundred bucks to have the dealer replace the whole switch cluster when all it needed what a quick reflow of the solder. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!! I was so not looking forward to having to deal with the dealership near me - they seem to think that because I have boobs, I HAVE to be ignorant about cars, lol! Thankfully, my Dad was a mechanic and had all girls. His rule was "if you can't fix it, you can't drive it" - a great rule in my book! Thanks again to everyone for the help and making it easy for me to find the info I needed!

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Ok, thanks for all the help guys! I found some loose solder points inside the master switch and had the hubby re-solder them for me (sometimes it's great to have an in-house computer/electrical engineer!). The window now functions perfectly! Just in time, too as we got a lovely rain storm and the car barely fits inside my garage. Thanks so much for all the help, I really love this forum! I've managed to fix any and all issues that have popped up with my Caliber! Love that little car!!
Sometimes - all the time is more like it! (at least in my "biased" opinion)

Glad to hear you found and fixed the problem! Reps for digging in and getting to the bottom of it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts