Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Washed my baby this morning before work and ... CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS?!?!?! :mad:

The paint on the trunk is peeling off !!! :(

Checked my warranty info, 24 monthes for all and 84 monthes for corrosion (she just turned 3 y.o.) so I went immediately to the dealer, he said paint is not included on corrosion so no warranty for this issue but he also said that he has never seen something like that so he will check with Dodge Italy and will tell me if something can be done... finger crossed! Meanwhile I'll go to a body shop later today to have also their opinion on that.

Frank I think maybe I could be interessed on that spoiler now :i_rolleyes: ... LOL

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
As far as I can remember was paint peeling a problem that was common with some 1st gen Neons (though my 1st gen Neon never suffered from this).
But never heard before that this problem returned with the Caliber.
I hope you'll get a satisfying solution with Dodge Italy.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
That's my biggest and only real issue with my car - the quality of the paint work.

I have touched up so many stone chips, I can't even count.

My car has one thin coat of primer, one thin coat of paint, and one thin coat of a very soft clear coat.
Just look at it the wrong way, and the paint gets damaged.

Chrysler totally "missed the boat" when it comes to paint quality on the Caliber.
This is sooo stupid too - the paint job is the first thing people notice about a car.
Poor paint gets the "relationship" started off on the wrong foot.

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear you on the poor quality of the paint (remember ? my rear bumper got yellowy - and still is - only some monthes after I bought the car ... :shakehead: ) but what really sucks on this is that it can't be a stone chip, it is on the top of the trunk lid, this is peeling ... so what in the hell caused this ? Can this happen again and in some other spot ?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Could have been caused by a good juicy bird turd.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I had to have my front bumper repainted already at my expense..the stone chips are huge..I try to stay way back away from the other vehicles they all throw stones.
in a couple years I have this green paint I been thinking about for my Caliber. it will be metalic Alien Green ( thats what I named it )

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I haven't experienced any peeling in 5 yrs however
I had mine treated with a polymer coating when I
took delivery.
Stonechips are just a fact of life it seems with all
the road/community construsction anymore,that's
really noticeable when your car is black and the primer
is off white.
The spot your paint is peeling is not a metal base but
plastic/fibreglass composition,possibly poor adhesion
quality may be a factor.

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup I thought about it ... but I use to wash her often so if there is a bird turd it doesn't stay that long. How many time does a bird turd need to eat the paint ? I mean I know people that never wash their car and it can be full of bird poop and the paint is still ok
:doh:

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
My thoughts as well. Something nasty landed there and had enough time to do harm.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
I had mine just a couple days shy of 3 years and didn't have any paint problems. And I live about two miles from a coal fired electric company, a chemical plant and a DuPont paint plant. Let's just say there's a lot of crap in the air, but even the "acid rain" didn't damage mine. But I kept it washed and every three to six months, would wax it.

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The spot your paint is peeling is not a metal base but
plastic/fibreglass composition,possibly poor adhesion
quality may be a factor.
I thought about that, also it rained tonight (of course... I washed the car yesterday! :i_rolleyes:) and as you know when it rains some water remain exactly in that spot so it could be maybe water seepage+poor paint+poor adhesion...

Nothing from the dealer yet and didn't have time to go to the body shop, but I'll keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Didn't Brendy already do a thread on peeling paint for his Black.

Optional metallic paint seems to have higher quality adhesion.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts

Rest assured, the metal flake inferno red does not seem to stick any better.

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

forgot about that thread, thanks I'll go and look for it.

Update: went to the bodyshop today after work they say that it could also be a scratch by a key or something ... not sure it looks like the paint is getting up more than a scratch to me. Anyway they suggested to wait and see what the dealer will tell, then we will decide what to do. Re-painting that part (only the hatch) will cost more or less 100€

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
sorry for the paint...

but.... lol
you really think about it?
painting would be a bit more expensive than painting only the part of the trunk part

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
but.... lol
you really think about it?
painting would be a bit more expensive than painting only the part of the trunk part
yup but at least I'd have a spoiler :naughty: ... too bad I'm broke at the moment! :doh:

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nothing from Dodge yet, I just called my dealer and he said I will have to wait still a couple of days for their answer... time passes, summer vacations are closer and I have the feeling I'll have to go to the meeting with a peeling Caliber ! :(

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Nothing from Dodge yet, I just called my dealer and he said I will have to wait still a couple of days for their answer... time passes, summer vacations are closer and I have the feeling I'll have to go to the meeting with a peeling Caliber ! :(
Licia, we will ignore that paint issue at the meeting and avoid to mention it to make you feel better. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts