Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a bunch of threads on this code here and on other Mopar forums. Most point to a vacuum leak. The car runs fine except first thing in the morning if it's raining or at the end of the work day if it's been raining. Then it will drive fine to the main street and go into limp mode at the first stop light. Turning off the car and restarting clears it up for the rest of the day. Never happens when it's dry. I've cleaned the contacts for the throttle body. I'm reading the the MAP sensor also plays a part so I'll check it out too. Other ideas?

Dave

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm having a hard time coming up with where the car would be using vacuum to control something...everything's electrical in this day and age. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that water is causing an electrical short someplace that goes away once it evaporates. Wait until it's a dry day and the car is running fine, then spray some water on various components under the hood (I'd start with the throttle body). If/when the car starts acting up, you'll have narrowed down the possible culprits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I cleaned the throttle body connector back when this happened before and it seemed to clear up. This week, my daughter reported that it started happening again. This time, there hasn't been any rain, so I don't think moisture is a factor. I never really determined that it was before, but when it happened, it had rained the night before or was raining then. The only things that happened are, we changed the oil and my son bumped my truck with the car hard enough to leave a mark on the truck's bumper.

I don't have a smoke machine, but I did try the trick with a can of ether looking for a vacuum leak and didn't find one. Of course, the engine compartment is tight enough that I can't get to everything, so I suppose it's possible that one exists. It does sound like a loud rush of air around the front of the engine, but I don't know where it would come from for it to be as loud as it is, so I don't think it's a vacuum leak. I did feel all of the lines going from the intake manifold and I didn't feel any breaks or cracks in them.

I cleaned the throttle body yesterday. It was pretty dirty, but the more interesting thing to me was that there is a lot of oil in the bottom of the intake manifold. If there is enough blowby to cause excessive oil to be shoved out the PCV, would that cause this code?

Dave

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't have a smoke machine, but I did try the trick with a can of ether looking for a vacuum leak and didn't find one. Of course, the engine compartment is tight enough that I can't get to everything, so I suppose it's possible that one exists.
Time to get a smoke test. Take it to a shop, or even the dealer, and have them diagnose the issue. You can then decide if you want to do the fix yourself.

...there is a lot of oil in the bottom of the intake manifold. If there is enough blowby to cause excessive oil to be shoved out the PCV, would that cause this code?
Unlikely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had given up on it being a vacuum leak because I couldn't find one. I replaced the throttle body because that was the only thing I had really touched that seemed to correlate with the change in behavior early on. The symptom changed a little bit then, so I was hoping that it was fixed, but after several minutes, it came back. Getting frustrated, I went back and started looking for a vacuum leak again, this time more carefully inspecting every inch of each line leading away from the intake and this time, I found it! What is listed as the Vapor Harness (CDJR Auto Parts For Sale Wichita KS | Derby | Accessories) had a small hole in it. I don't understand how it happened, as it almost appears that something hot had been dripping on it, but whatever. I'll get another tomorrow, hopefully, and hopefully that fixes it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it's still broke. I was hopeful that fixing that vacuum leak would fix things. I replaced the section of the plastic line that was corroded, or whatever, with hose. Started the car and after a couple minutes, it went into limp mode. The code I'm getting now is P0507 and I can't get it to clear. I can clear it, the scanner says it cleared successfully, but before I even start the car, it comes back up. When I started the car, it jumps right to about 1300 rpm, then gradually drops to about 900 rpm before the went into limp mode.

I did some playing around. I can't find any other vacuum leaks, but I did block off the PCV line and the car starts and goes right to ~770 rpm. The P0507 still doesn't go away, but it doesn't go into limp mode after running for 20 minutes or so. The PCV valve rattles; I can blow one way, and not the other. I also don't know that I have ever noticed this on another car, but when I take the oil cap off, there's a lot of air movement. It's not a distinct suction, even when the PCV line was connected.

Is there something else I can look at there? These new cars are truly baffling to me sometimes. I miss the old days where if there was fuel, fire, compression, and timing, the car was going to run!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a vacuum leak in my Caliber on a fuel vent line underneath the car running to the gas tank.

The leak was in a metal hard line.

The leak was caused while welding in my roll cage. Welding in the passenger compartment partially melted the line underneath the car.

I had a check engine light shortly after driving away from the fabricator shop.

I searched and searched for the leak and ultimately had to get a smoke test to find the leak. The dealer diagnosed the issue and found the leak with one hour of labor.

Get a smoke test.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If there was still a vacuum leak, wouldn't it want to throw a code still? I don't understand why it idles fine with the PCV blocked. And I don't understand why the P0507 won't clear. It started raining, so I haven't reconnected the battery yet to see if it's gone. It's been about 4 hours, so it had better have cleared by now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was about to throw in the towel then decided to do a better inspection of the vacuum lines before, but I really don't get why it would idle right if there was still another vacuum leak now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took the car to a shop across the street and they didn't find any vacuum leaks, but said that the aftermarket throttle body won't work because Dodge switched to a different throttle body. They said the new throttle body requires a different wiring harness that has to be spliced in in place of the original. So far I've not found anything online about this other than TSB 10177457 saying "...use 68414676A$ on 2010 & earlier vehicles as supply is limited." Everywhere I look online shows the same part that is already on the car. I called the dealership and they did show several "if built <date> use <X>, if built <date> use <Y>, if built <date> use <Z>" but didn't have any better info than that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts