Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. New here to the boards, but I have been searching endlessly for a resolve to my car troubles. It started about a month ago. I have (the dreaded first run) 2007 Dodge Caliber SE, basic edition. Everything is manual. I was driving home from work and after sitting through a red light, began to take off in first gear. The car started bucking and missing and I thought I was going to stall. I noticed that when I would get to where I was getting ready to upshift to the next gear, the car would lose power as if it was going to die on me. That happened between 1st and second, and again on second to third. The check engine light was on also. So I took it to Autozone and it registered a P0016 code, cam/crankshaft , timing misalignment. So after researching things about that code, I noticed that my car needed a flash update (specifically for that code), so I took it to a local shop to have my car looked at. They said they could replace the sensor, but they couldnt do the update, because I had to go directly to the dealer for that. So they replaced the sensor, and I then took it to the dealer for the update. Neither of those repairs fixed the problem. The dealership said that it was the oil valves that needed to be replaced, and that would start at $650.00. I told them I would have to schedule it for another day because I had to get to work. I happened to run into an old friend of mine who is a certified mechanic with more than 20 years experience, and I told him about my problems. So he came out, took a look at my car and told me he could try to fix it. So a couple of days later he flushed the engine, replaced my cam and crank sensors (apparently there is 2 of each) and replaced the oil valves. TO NO AVAIL! He deleted the codes with his scan tool and the code keeps coming back. He seems to think it's the cam phaser, but I was wondering if it could be something else. After all of my research, I have ran into a couple of different ideas. Fuel pump? Catalytic Converter? Throttle Body? Please, folks. I need some educated guesses here. I'm running out of money!

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Yes - the VVT system seems to be the problem.
What weight oil are you running?

Since sensors, reflash, and valve replacement did not fix it, the cam phasers are the last mechanical item on the list.

Are you and everyone else sure that there is no damage to the sensor or valve wiring?
If the sensors cannot send the proper signal or the valves do not receive the proper signal, the VVT system cannot work properly.

If your oil pressure is too low, the phasers cannot rotate, obviously if one or both phasers is jammed it will not rotate.

Now a brief rundown:

There is only one crankshaft position sensor, there is on cam position sensor on each of the two camshafts. The engine oil pump develops the required pressure to rotate the phasers. Lube oil does double duty as hydraulic fluid for this system.

Information is taken from these sensors to enable the PCM to know the "phasing" of each cam - advanced or retarded from a "neutral" position.
Based on operating conditions, the PCM determines the amount of advance or retard to be applied to each camshaft.
If the measured position does not match the desired position, the oil valves admit or release oil from rotary actuators (called phasers by Chrysler) to rotate the camshaft in relation to the driving sprockets so the cam is positioned according to what the PCM wants.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He checked the oil pressure and said it was good. He is somewhat baffled because all of the tests he has performed are okay, which is why he says it's the phaser. The oil is always manufacturers recommendation. So how much more money am I looking at to fix the phaser?
Thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Can't really give a price.

Repairing or replacing a phaser entails removing one or both camshafts.
There is a possibility if a simple repair cannot be made, you will have to replace one or both camshaft assemblies.
Normally, this can be done without removing the engine from the car.

You may want to go to our manuals section and follow the link to the service manual download.
The whole process is explained in detail in the manual.

Added info - if a phaser is defective, it can be replaced and you can reuse the original camshaft. The phaser itself seems to be a "sealed unit", so if it's bad, it will need replacement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I'll take a look over there. Thanks so much for the info! I appreciate it.

Michelle

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I know this is an old post but did anyone figure out the problem I have same issue p0016 dodge caliber any help would be appreciated thanks in advance

1 - 7 of 7 Posts