Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola everyone,
I have problems with my 09 Caliber 2.0L Automatic.

My Check engine came out after changing sparkplugs , "coolant temperature sensor high voltage" error showing on OBD. and the car shutdown after 5 minutes of running either driving it or not.
my question is:
- Does the shut down related to the temperature sensor?
- Will the car be driving normally after removing both thermostats ?

History of the problem:

At first there was a lot of overheating that will go away when I park the car and turn on the AC on heat mode, then drive a little bit it will heat again.

After not using the car for 2 months this issue disappeared,,, I think it was both thermostats malfunction.
Any way after the two months it ran smoothly then it started to shutdown while driving and overheat also.

I removed both Thermostats completely, no more overheating. car drives okay for one month..
Then check engine came out after changing sparkplugs , coolant temperature sensor high voltage error showing on OBD.and the car shutdown after 5 minutes of running.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The first thing I would do would be to see if the temp sensors are lying - once the engine has been running a while, use a separate temperature sensor (like those infrared, laser pointing thingies), to see what the coolant temps are.

It’s simple enough to grab temp sensors from a junkyard find, and swapping them out to see what happens.

This does sound like an electrical issue, though. A frayed wire(s), grounding issues... not sure how to check for that.

When was the last time the coolant was checked/flushed/changed?

Just removing things for a “fix” is always a bad idea - parts are there for a reason. Before doing anything else, I’d suggest installing new, correct thermostats, then move forward from there. 👍

1 - 2 of 2 Posts