Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Organizer
15,141 Posts
Chrysler has many recalls for other vehicles that exhibit the same issue. In every case it was due to the saddle tanks they use. What happens is the fuel takes time to shift from one side to the other. If you fill the tank before the fuel has balanced, the tank will belch causing fuel to be forced out the fuel neck. The closer to empty when you start the fill, the more likely it is for this to happen.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
I've never had an uncontrolled overflow, but, as I learned on this forum and some personal experience - NEVER pump past the point where the nozzle automatically clicks off. At that point, even at today's prices, you cannot get more than a quarter's worth more of gas in without it filling to the very top - you can even see the gas in the filler pipe.

·
The Organizer
15,141 Posts
i have even managed to squeeze a dollar in after it clicked off and still never overflowed.
Bad idea. Do it one too many times and you'll be spending $800 on a new carbon canister.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Bad idea. Do it one too many times and you'll be spending $800 on a new carbon canister.
I always wondered about this, what exactly happens and
why do you then need to replace the carbon canister
when you over fill too many times?
:jammin::fight::poopstorm::velo::bubu:

·
The Organizer
15,141 Posts
I always wondered about this, what exactly happens and
why do you then need to replace the carbon canister
when you over fill too many times?
The carbon canister collects fuel fumes and stores them and then releases them the next time you drive so they can be burned in the engine. When you overfill, liquid fuel enters the canister. Do it enough and the canister can no long function and will set a code, and fumes will have no where to go.

Reactions: 99GAZI

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
The carbon canister collects fuel fumes and stores them and then releases them the next time you drive so they can be burned in the engine. When you overfill, liquid fuel enters the canister. Do it enough and the canister can no long function and will set a code, and fumes will have no where to go.
Thanks Brad :worshippy: :rep:

Its a shame they don't allow us to pump our own fuel here in South Africa, most petrol attendants just do as they please and overfill to get the most money on tank.

$800 :str:

·
Registered
35 Posts
This IS true !
I was told this when I had my 1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have the same problem EVEN when I stop the filling process prior to the 1st click. Any suggestions? I started having the problem occasionally NOW it happens every time I fill the tank up. I am having my oil changed this week, hopefully the shop can offer assistance.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

JO

·
The Organizer
15,141 Posts
I too have the same problem EVEN when I stop the filling process prior to the 1st click. Any suggestions? I started having the problem occasionally NOW it happens every time I fill the tank up. I am having my oil changed this week, hopefully the shop can offer assistance.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

JO
Post #2. I have no more to add.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I don’t know much about this topic but wouldn’t it make since to you if you are overflowing and if what Brad mentioned about the fuel not getting balanced why don’t you put about 7 gallons in (our tanks hold 13. Something gallons I believe) let the fuel settle and begin filling once again. Even when the low fuel light comes on or your gauge says its on E you still have a gallon or two (not 100% sure) left in the tank.

Also instead of letting it self fill why not hold the lever down that way you have continues control of the amount of fuel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.