Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our caliber in 2008, had 30,000 miles on it. About 8 months, we had to replace the alternator because it went bad. Our second one started to act up about 2 months after we replaced it, something started squeeking and whining and sometimes ticked. We called the dealership and they said it was the alternator, so we got another one. Everything was going good until about a month ago. That noise is back again.

Has anyone else had this same issue? Are the alternators just not good? We are at 86,000 miles now and have had 3 alternators.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
A number of posts indicate the alternator to be weak point
due in part to its design.Possibly they replaced your original
unit with a low quality refurb which may have led to your
problem now,hard to tell.
Mine is the original from June 2006 and still as quiet as a
mouse-knock on wood!

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I would suggest you make sure the new alternator is "new" not a refurbished one. Refurbished alternators may save money up front, but many are bad out of the box. It's a real crap shoot with them.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Are they being replaced under warranty or are you having to pay for them? If you're paying for them, then go get one from your local NAPA store and do it yourself. Have them check it for you before you walk out with it. They should offer one with a lifetime warranty by now. If not, then Advance, O'Reilly's or Autozone should have one. My Caliber has over 60,000 miles on it and I haven't had any problems with the alternator at all. Or much of anything else, for that matter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's really true. I replaced the alternator on my old Concorde with a rebuilt from Autozone which was an Autolite unit. It was still on there when I got rid of it for my Caliber and it had 112,000 miles on that alternator back then !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts