Oil change interval is calculated using 6 inputs into PCM
•Ambient temperature – extended periods of low temperature operation
•Average vehicle speed – stop and go driving
•Engine run time – prolonged idling
•Trip length and coolant temperatures – short trips
•Engine speed and load – trailer tow usage
•Flex-fuel percentage – ethanol percentage of more than 60%

If sufficient severe usage is determined from the 6 inputs,
the oil change message is activated at 2,500 miles (4,000 KM).

After oil change the PCM must be reset by ---
•Turn the ignition key to the ON position
•Slowly depress the accelerator pedal to the floor and release it
3 times within 10 seconds
•Turn the key to the OFF position (Do NOT START CAR)
•Repeat this procedure if the indicator does not reset, if that still doesn't work, then start the car immediately instead of turning off.

Remember as per Owner's Manual DO NOT exceed 6 months or
6,000 miles (10,000 KM) between Oil / filter changes EVEN
If THE OIL CHANGE light does not go on.

Hopes this helps, I was confused about how this works.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Interesting - I was told intervals were based primarily on engine run hours, and the speed that the clock "ticks" at is based on coolant temperature.
So there are even more factors than I was aware of.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Reps for that post, Bob. I wondered about that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
okay, dumb a$$ question:

what indicator light am i looking for? i say this because as suggested on this forum, i changed my oil before 2000, did the pedal trick but saw no indicator that i did it correct or incorrect. then i just did and oil change at 6100 miles (cuz i'm paranoid) but i dont plan on changing until 12000 miles or 6 months.

am i missing something, because i did the pedal reset again and once again, unsure if it was done properly.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
The word "change oil" pops up in the odometer display when the timer times out.
To reset, just follow the instructions in the owner's manual.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
okay, dumb a$$ question:

what indicator light am i looking for? i say this because as suggested on this forum, i changed my oil before 2000, did the pedal trick but saw no indicator that i did it correct or incorrect. then i just did and oil change at 6100 miles (cuz i'm paranoid) but i dont plan on changing until 12000 miles or 6 months.

am i missing something, because i did the pedal reset again and once again, unsure if it was done properly.
The word "change oil" pops up in the odometer display when the timer times out.
To reset, just follow the instructions in the owner's manual.
Which means, if you ain't got a light to start with, you'll see nothing after the reset.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
If you reset (follow the manual) right after an oil change, the "clock" is reset back to zero. This will help you keep a more accurate eye on the run time / miles since the most current change. That way the indicator won't display prematurely, and leave you thinking "Change oil - already!? Geez, I just changed it a month ago!!!!"

·
Registered
1 Posts
hard to tell man, i though if the light just went out i did it right. my light came on 3000 after i reset it. Then 6000 after that oil change.? ? so I'm with you on that

·
Registered
86 Posts
is the oil change message accurate?

I have this oil change message, first time ever, is this message an accurate indication of needing an oil change? My last oil change was at the dealer's, they owed me a free one, usually I go somewhere else, but when I received this message a week or so ago, I wondered if the dealer had preset the computer inside to go off at 4,000 KM, it actually came on around 4,400 KM I believe.

No matter, my car is due for the pre winter oil change .. but when the light showed it had me worried as I had never seen it before .... BTW I checked my oil, the level is fine and it is still clear.

I noticed a thread somewhere else here saying that changing oil every 5,000 KM was no longer necessary?

·
Super Moderator
12,159 Posts
I have this oil change message, first time ever, is this message an accurate indication of needing an oil change? My last oil change was at the dealer's, I wondered if the dealer had preset the computer inside to go off at 4,000 KM, it actually came on around 4,400 KM I believe.

I noticed a thread somewhere else here saying that changing oil every 5,000 KM was no longer necessary?
I would hope that the dealer used a good quality oil, that might be a reflection of it's good condition.

A synthetic oil can go double or more the length of regular oil that the Caliber is calibrated for.

The dealer does not set the interval, the computer calculates it based on your driving history.

I would assume that the dealer (Dodge) would reset the change indicator as required.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
No, the message IS NOT an accurate indicator of when to change you oil. It comes on after a certain number of engine operating hours (adjusted by other factors).

The "official" 2009 change interval is 6000 miles (9650 km) or every 6 months.

The most current manual (2012) lists 8000 miles or once a year.

Personally, I have changed my oil twice a year for years on several different cars. I have never had a problem. In light of the new information presented, I may very well switch to a once a year change interval.

The primary purpose of the "Change Oil" message and 3000 mile change intervals is to make easy money from customers.

A few years ago, a quick lube place in my area advised me to change my oil every two months, due to "local driving conditions". Back then, these places also advised everyone to "flush and fill" every other system in the car at least once a year.
After all that "crap", I have not set tire or foot into one of those "gyp joints" in over 7 years.

·
Registered
86 Posts
No, the message IS NOT an accurate indicator of when to change you oil. It comes on after a certain number of engine operating hours (adjusted by other factors).

The "official" 2009 change interval is 6000 miles (9650 km) or every 6 months.

The most current manual (2012) lists 8000 miles or once a year.

Personally, I have changed my oil twice a year for years on several different cars. I have never had a problem. In light of the new information presented, I may very well switch to a once a year change interval.

The primary purpose of the "Change Oil" message and 3000 mile change intervals is to make easy money from customers.

A few years ago, a quick lube place in my area advised me to change my oil every two months, due to "local driving conditions". Back then, these places also advised everyone to "flush and fill" every other system in the car at least once a year.
After all that "crap", I have not set tire or foot into one of those "gyp joints" in over 7 years.
Thanks Dave, that is pretty much what I thought, considering the oil looks clean and is not gritty to the touch... I will stick with every 6 months I think (pre-winter and pre-summer) .... I usually don't do more than 10,000 km a year, maybe 12,000 KM

I don't like going to those quick oil joints either, last time I went with my 2007 Caliber it cost almost $80, I was floored... anyway I have found a small local garage that charges no more than 29.99 for regular oil or 39.99 for synthetic. (and yes I asked... no other hidden charges)

Which leads me to ask... is the normal oil fine ? or is there a benefit to using synthetic?
Thanks, Debbie

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
A couple of years ago, synthetic was clearly better, but now many natural oils are almost on a par with synthetic.
Either type will be within Chrysler spec.

The amount of driving you do (about 7500 mi. a year) and twice a year changes, don't even begin to approach the lifespan of natural oil (12,000+ miles), so you should be OK with high quality natural oil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts