Votes: 13 9.8%
  • Not Listed

Votes: 6 4.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Just changed my oil yesterday with Royal Purple. I also discovered I need a new drain pan...I hate cleaning up oil!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have used Pennzoil for the last 11 years in all my vehicles. I use to use Castrol before that but a few friends and I had an issue of using oil between changes with Castrol. All we did was switch to Pennzoil and no consumption between changes after that. It was a long time ago and maybe the problem has since been taken care of.

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts
Mobil 1 5-20 is what I chose to use......was gonna use royal purple until I read some posts on the internet that steered me away from it:Racing: .

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Mobil 1 5-20 is what I chose to use......was gonna use royal purple until I read some posts on the internet that steered me away from it:Racing: .
And what would those be?

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts
And what would those be?
Royal Purple uses a different chemistry than most oils. They are one of only a handful of marketers using Molybdenum Disulfide (Moly) in their oil. Moly is a solid material, which is specifically banned by Cummins®, due to excessive valve train wear.

Moly is a processed mineral that is similar in appearance to graphite. Moly has good lubricating properties when used either by itself (in dry power form or as an additive to oil or other lubricants). Particles of the Moly can come out of suspension and agglomerate. This can actually clog oil filters or oil lines and the rest normally settles in the bottom of the oil pan. This seems to be more likely when using extended drain intervals.

This was a post from another forum..........Royal Purple is garbage in daily driven vehicles. I'll never use it in any of mine. The motor I'm running now in my truck was used for 50Kmiles on Royal Purple before I got it. The whole inside of the engine was coated in a thin purple film. Not something I want on the inside of my motor.

Maybe these statements don't mean anything at all:shakehead: ....but I've always been a Mobil 1 fan:worshippy: ........so my opinions are slightly biased:D

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
The big question is when that post was made in that forum. My research showed that RP was reformulated, and for the past couple years has been a better oil due to it. What's interesting is that Mobile 1 has molybdenum in it. So who knows. I'm doing the RP, and at 3K I'll be doing an oil analysis to see what's up. That truly is the only way to be sure. Hear say can only go so far.

·
Z ADDICT
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The primary purpose of motor oil is to lubricate the internal parts of an engine. All motor oils will leave a coating on the metal surfaces it come in contact with. Since most of the oils are amber or some shade of it in color they will leave a shiny coating visable. Royal Purple is purple so one will find a purple coating. Royal Purple claims their oil will adhear to surfaces better then other oil to minimize the effect every engine goes though when it starts up.Almost all motor oils for gasoline engines contain moli even Mobil 1. It is a good lubricant additive. If I had a diesel engine in my vehicle along with its naturally long oci; I would use an oil formulated for that engine.

I like Castrol oil although lately Pennzoil Platinum might be taking over.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Many oil manufacturers were using ZDDP as their friction reducer. API forced them to stop using it in order to keep their API certification. The ZDDP was clogging catalytic converters. Many manufacturers have started adding Moly. From what I've read if kept under a certain amount it causes no adverse effect. RP no longer uses ZDDP or Moly. They have a proprietary additive called Synerlec. As a side note, I just ran an errand and notice my temp gauge was sitting 2 notches below what it normally sits at. I just read a review on RP, and it stated in the review that due to the lower friction, engines run cooler. Well, I guess I can confirm that as fact.

Here's what one review said:

Professional engine builders and race teams have cited increased horsepower and torque, and longer engine life with the use of Royal Purple According to multi-year IHRA Top Fuel Champion Clay Millican, “When we began using Royal Purple, I couldn’t believe the difference. Run any oil back to back with Royal Purple and you’ll see a difference.” It produces winning results on the racetrack and is safe enough to use in your daily commuter car.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Ok, here's something that's totally unscientific. Thursday night I installed the K&N filter, and yesterday I changed the oil putting in the Royal Purple. I used the car Friday, and Saturday, and again this morning. Never said anything to my wife other than I was changing the air filter and oil. My wife used it this afternoon. She doesn't know one filter, or oil from another.

She gets home and immediately says: "What did you do to the car?"

I said: "I put a new air filter in and changed the oil, that's all."

She says: "I don't know. It has more pickup, and the engine seem to be running smoother."

I said: "So you noticed it too.":cool:

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts

This was a post from another forum..........Royal Purple is garbage in daily driven vehicles. I'll never use it in any of mine. The motor I'm running now in my truck was used for 50Kmiles on Royal Purple before I got it. The whole inside of the engine was coated in a thin purple film. Not something I want on the inside of my motor.
Royal Purple is purple so one will find a purple coating.

From Royal Purple's web site:

Does Royal Purple maintain its purple color after it’s put into service?

No. The dye that’s used to color the oil dissipates shortly after being put into service. The color will turn brown at some point.
I guess the guy with the truck is :4-looney:.

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts
I guess the guy with the truck is :4-looney:.
Maybe......I was just fowarding info. Never truthfully said I stood by the statements, they just steered me away from royal purple. Originally I was going to use it but decided to stay with Mobil 1. I've beem using mobil 1 since I can remember......old habits are hard to break:D .

BTW did you install the replacement filter or the CAI? I used the mopar filter....but didn't drive my car long enough before to get an idea of any increase of performance.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Maybe......I was just fowarding info. Never truthfully said I stood by the statements, they just steered me away from royal purple. Originally I was going to use it but decided to stay with Mobil 1. I've beem using mobil 1 since I can remember......old habits are hard to break:D .

BTW did you install the replacement filter or the CAI? I used the mopar filter....but didn't drive my car long enough before to get an idea of any increase of performance.
Not pinging on you, just the truck guy. It seems that for every person that "swears" by something, there's another person that "swears" at it. That's why facts are more important than opinions. As Patrick Moynihan once said: "You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts."

On another note. I read an article written by a motorcycle race crew chief where he described the loss of the oil pump during a race with 5 laps to go. He credited the Royal Purple with it's ability to leave a protective coating on the engine parts for allowing the rider to finish the race...in first place.

I installed the replacement K&N. The new CAI doesn't have an exemption for Smog designated areas such as I'm in. With 3 months before I have to have A smog check, I didn't feel like installing something I'd have to remove for the test. I'll wait for now and see how others make out with it.

My race friend is out of town this week, but when gets back we're going to get together and dyno the Caliber.

·
Dodge Caliber Forums
1,295 Posts
Hi Calibee....that's what one of my mechanic friends said it was, altho manipulation of the clutch didn't change the sound at all. Maybe it was something else. I wasn't a mechanic. Maybe he just put a name to it, to sound authoritative. Had one other person listen to it, & he didn't know. Anyhow, it sure was causing a bad knock while the engine idled. I didn't beat around the bush waiting for more opinions. Immediately dumped the new Valvoline oil & Fram filter & replaced it with another filter & Quaker State. The clatter never returned...never. I never used Valvoline after that.

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts
On another note. I read an article written by a motorcycle race crew chief where he described the loss of the oil pump during a race with 5 laps to go. He credited the Royal Purple with it's ability to leave a protective coating on the engine parts for allowing the rider to finish the race...in first place.

Very interesting......more info like that could certainly change my mind!!!

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts
Only 8 people have voted!!!......where is everybody?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Very interesting......more info like that could certainly change my mind!!!
If you liked that, how about this one:

Racing Beat has been recommending the use of synthetic oils in rotary applications for several years. Our research has found that synthetic oils provide superior friction reducing between sliding surfaces, reduced foaming, and lower oil temperatures. We have tested several different synthetic oils and have found that while most offered improved wear and lower oil temperatures, none offered any horsepower gains... except for Royal Purple!

Our in-house testing has yielded up to a 2% performance increase after changing from mineral-based oil to Royal Purple Synthetic Motor Oil. How could this be? Jim Mederer, co-founder and chief engineer at Racing Beat, was truly puzzled. With over 35 years of professional racing experience under his belt, he has seen and tried just about every “new” lubricant that hits the market. All offered better wear and lower oil temperatures but none offered any horsepower improvement. After spending time consulting with the engineers at Royal Purple to better understand the reason for the horsepower gain, it was explained that the secret was the proprietary ingredient “Synerlec”. This Synerlec ingredient provides an ultra-slick film on internal engine components to significantly reduce power-robbing friction. Less friction equals more power!

Other professional engine builders have confirmed that Royal Purple Synthetic Racing Oil delivers measurable horsepower gains. Independent dyno tests show increases up to 5% (on smaller displacement engines) with nothing more than an oil change.

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts
If you liked that, how about this one:

You know that you are killing me right? You may just convert someone who has used Mobil 1 for many years............I HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY!!!.....LOL

1 - 20 of 152 Posts