Dodge Caliber Forum banner

Odd Transmission Noise

11K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Aleks 
#1 ·
Hey Guys turning to the experts here cause i dont fully trust the garages.

2008 Caliber SXT 4cyl AT

I have a odd sound when accelerating, it sounds to me like a whine (almost air raid siren like). It starts around 30kph and gets louder as the speed increases. If i let off the gas it stops, if i press the gas again it immediately returns. If i put it in neutral and rev the engine it does not happen.

The vehicle has been excesively noisy this past little while so i had it looked at had just replaced the alternator (makes a hell of a noise when its toast) ball joints and bearings so i have more or less isolated this to a power train problem.

I took the car to my mechanic and he said its a sealed transmission and nothing serviceable so my only option it to replace the tranny at $2800.

Not laying out that much money without doing my homework, i searched online and these forums. Most transmission issues here are described as sounding like "marbles in the tranny" i have nothing of the sort.

I have recorded audio of the vehicle accelerating from a stop to 90kph. At the 28sec mark i let off the gas then back on then off again to show how it goes away then returns with throttle.

Could you please have a listen to my audio file and let me know what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2kjrtianazl0zp/caliber tranny sounds.wav?dl=0

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm no expert but I believe the guys who know wayyy more than me would have the same advice "Check the fluid level" you can do it with the oil dipstick, warm the car to normal operating temperature, shut off engine, remove oil dip stick, give it a good clean, then stick it in the transmission filler tube as far as it will go and then report back as to where the tranny fluid registers on it, should be somewhere in the safe zone marked with XXXXXXXXXX

#4 ·
Mine is a 2007, but I assume yours is the same, very front of engine bay, just behind radiator, somewhere just right of the middle as you look at it, should be a black plastic cap, size is somewhere between a toothpaste cap and a bottle cap, mine has a piece of paper around the tube just below the cap warning to only use genuine CVT fluid. It is attached to a tube almost 2 feet long, sorry at work so don't have a picture

#6 ·
Have the fluid changed, could help.

#7 ·
Yup. Once I removed the air intake I found it no problem.

I did what you said, test using the dip stick from the oil and jam it as far as it'll go.

When I pulled it back out it was a good quarter inch below the safe zone.

I went to part source and they don't sell cvtf+4 fluid. Any suggestions as to where to get it?

I'm going to search the site for instructions on how to change the fluid. Any tips?

#9 ·
As for tips for the fluid change, not really just follow the instructions closely, no different to changing fluid on any auto trans except there is no drain plug. I ordered OEM gasket and filter (and mopar fluid from amazon) just to be sure of decent fitment and hopefully quality, no issues so far and use gasket sealant on the pan side of the gasket to snug everything up

#10 ·
So i am a total newb when it comes vehicle mechanical maintenance.

I can build, plumb, and wire house, even do vehicle wiring and installations, but when it comes to working on or servicing the mechanical side of things in a vehicle i have zero experience. Im not trying to say im an iddiot, but more of a common sense but no experience in this.

I'm having this issue with the transmission as stated above, and want to see if a change in tranny fluid will save me having to swap the tranny.

In all honesty, is this something i should attempt to do myself? Or should i bite the over priced bullet and have done by the dealer?

I just keep reading how you can do alot of damage if not done completely correctly.

As i stated im not an iddiot, just have no experience with this sort of thing ( i'm more than willing to learn)

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
xxx These frigging CVT transmissions are apparently very touchy about having the correct amount of fluid in them. You can do it yourself, but there's something about having an infrared thermometer to make sure it's at the correct level at a specific temperature. If you can afford it, just have it done at the stealership or a REPUTABLE transmission shop that you trust.

#12 ·
An observation that I am beginning to see Calibers taken apart that unlike other cars do not have any apparent accident damage.
We are at a point where garage bills can exceed the market value of the vehicle. Increasingly members are likely to tackle tasks that previously would have been best left to experts.
New CVT trans run to $4k replaced so usually owners have not messed with them.
A scheduled oil change is not onerous with long intervals, most have just had to top up.

As a diagnostic step to confirm the existence of a fault I can see the point but then still have to be certain it's done right.

If an owner is not sure it's worth spending the money on the car than maybe it isn't.

#13 ·
I've had the same thing happen to me and now I'm on my 3rd trans. The dealer just says its a bearing inside that is not serviceable so they've replace it twice under warranty. It seems to happen every 25-30k and it's starting to happen again. No one is able to tell if it's a detrimental condition or not. May just do a complete drivetrain swap the next time.

#15 ·
As far as i've read that was only available in the united states.
I am in Canada, and have no such luck. Now im staring down a $2-4K bill for this.

As was stated above, It's getting pretty close to exceeding the value of the vehicle....not sure what to do.

#16 ·
I was congratulating Nicky rather than feeling your pain.

Many trade theirs which passes the problem on. The vehicle value is not the determinant for repairs, rather what value you will get out of it.
If the tranny repair is guaranteed for 12 months would that satisfy ? Reading other posters it seems that the replacement is not a universal cure and they have still gone on to have issues.

#17 ·
Hey Guys turning to the experts here cause i dont fully trust the garages.

2008 Caliber SXT 4cyl AT

I have a odd sound when accelerating, it sounds to me like a whine (almost air raid siren like). It starts around 30kph and gets louder as the speed increases. If i let off the gas it stops, if i press the gas again it immediately returns. If i put it in neutral and rev the engine it does not happen.

The vehicle has been excesively noisy this past little while so i had it looked at had just replaced the alternator (makes a hell of a noise when its toast) ball joints and bearings so i have more or less isolated this to a power train problem.

I took the car to my mechanic and he said its a sealed transmission and nothing serviceable so my only option it to replace the tranny at $2800.

Not laying out that much money without doing my homework, i searched online and these forums. Most transmission issues here are described as sounding like "marbles in the tranny" i have nothing of the sort.

I have recorded audio of the vehicle accelerating from a stop to 90kph. At the 28sec mark i let off the gas then back on then off again to show how it goes away then returns with throttle.

Could you please have a listen to my audio file and let me know what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2kjrtianazl0zp/caliber tranny sounds.wav?dl=0

Thanks in advance

#18 ·
The CVT is a Jatco owned by Nissan who just settled a class action suit by Altima owners.

Other than changing the oil there is not much you can do, maybe purchase recovery insurance and hope.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.