Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still loving my car, but been lurking around here and reading many others posts about this tranny.

About 80% of our driving is short, around town type stuff. Is this thing going to hold up, or is it going to blow after a few thousand miles and be a pain-in-the-A**?

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Still loving my car, but been lurking around here and reading many others posts about this tranny.

About 80% of our driving is short, around town type stuff. Is this thing going to hold up, or is it going to blow after a few thousand miles and be a pain-in-the-A**?
Mine was fine, up until the trip to NC. It started acting up on the way back shortly after rolling 44,000 on the odo. With what I know now, a fluid change may have fixed it. As such, if you don't any hassle, make the first fluid change by 20K.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
No reason to expect any shorter life than any other automatic transmission. Most of the reported problems were on early production units.
Most important thing to remember - an automatic is for convenience, not performance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No reason to expect any shorter life than any other automatic transmission. Most of the reported problems were on early production units.
Most important thing to remember - an automatic is for convenience, not performance.
Yeah, I know that, and I'm not racing this car. Just been hearing lots of complaints ( and I know you hear more from unhappy people than you do from happy ones).

My last car with an automatic transmission was a Pontiac Sunfire, and it is still going with 230,000 on the ticker. I know you can't get 200,000 from all cars, but feeling like I could expect 100,000 would be nice. :gr_grin:

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I've got 55,000 miles on my CVT as of today. I've had zero problems with it and don't anticipate any either. All in all, it's proving to be very reliable to me.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
You're right about hearing more from unhappy people than happy ones. I started to panic after buying mine and reading about problems with them. I soon realized what a small number of people have actually had trouble. I think for me, and I'm sure others, it's kind of a fear of the unknown. The CVT takes a while to get used to. In a short time, I was comfortable with it and fell in love with how smooth and simple it is. :Racing:

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
You're right about hearing more from unhappy people than happy ones. I started to panic after buying mine and reading about problems with them. I soon realized what a small number of people have actually had trouble. I think for me, and I'm sure others, it's kind of a fear of the unknown. The CVT takes a while to get used to. In a short time, I was comfortable with it and fell in love with how smooth and simple it is. :Racing:
That's exactly the same way I felt. I loved how smooth it operated through the mountains. I'd probably still have my Caliber if I hadn't taken a long trip and drove 1400 miles in 2 days one way, and 1800 miles in 2 days the other way. Something happened while pushing it that hard. Something that never happened on any vehicle of mine. I've made similar trips to the east coast in 4 other vehicles, one with a trailer, and never had a transmission act up. One had over 80,000 miles on it. My beef is with Jatco.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think for an around town car you should have no probs...

From what I've read, the CVT doesn't deal with stress too well. The high speed overheat protection seems to indicate an interstate speed racer guy might run into trouble.

If you've got the 2.4 engine rather than the 2.0, this could push this little tranny a bit hard too; or if you like to take your brick collection with you everywhere you go.

I wish you could pull the dip-stick and look at the fluid. In other automatics when the fluid changes from pink to brown, it needs changing. It's harder to tell with this unit.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and have the fluid changed at 50K, even though I'm not an extreme driver.

I was looking at Consumer Reports Used Car Guide the other day and saw the engine had a great rating for reliability... Didn't remember what it said about the tranny, but I'll look again next time I'm at the store.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
A statment was made on a Nissan forum:

"Consumer Reports rates the Murano's CVT as above averge in reliability as compared to other automatic transmissions"

I personally don't read that "rag" but if anyone does, you may want to check that out and try to report back in a post.

While the Murano's transmission is one size up from ours, the engine is a considerably more powerful 6 cylinder unit. The internal functionality is exactly the same.

We are more or less comparing apples to apples (Granny Smith to Golden Delicious) not exactly the same but pretty darn close.

Almost forgot: The folks on the other forum referenced the Chrysler / Jatco CVT as one with few problems. Plus, on a Patriot forum I look at, there is very little mention of CVT failure even in off-road use.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I have 50K on mine as of today. So far not a single issue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just got back from Barns & Nobel... Checked the Consumer Reports 2011 preview/buying guide & the Caliber tranny's got highest possible rating for reliability.

It did not specify stick vs auto, but I assume as most of the (non srt4) cars are CVT, this is a good sign.

As Consumer Reports (as well as most everyone else!) loves to hate the Calibers so much, if their was any issues with the CVTs, I would think they would jump on this in a heartbeat.

Speaking of loving to hate the Caliber... Has anyone seen the latest from "Truth About Cars" yet?
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/review-2010-dodge-caliber-sxt-updated-interior/

The B.S this guy spews is incredible... Look at what he says about the "injector noise" of the Cali engine.

"At one point, I lifted the hood while the engine was running. Closing my eyes, I was instantly transported to a 1970’s office building where I was surrounded by a typing pool filled with fast-fingered secretaries pounding away at their IBM Selectrics. Somewhere (probably at a race track) there are louder fuel injectors, but I’ve haven’t heard them."

I've driven Cali's as rentals and own one and I have yet to hear the slightest tick from an injector... Anyone else?

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
I've driven Cali's as rentals and own one and I have yet to hear the slightest tick from an injector... Anyone else?
The ticking he describes is from the wrong weight oil or a Fram filter being used. The ticking is from the lifters not being lubricated sufficiently.

As far as the CVT goes. The Land Rover I used to have got a great reliability rating for it's tranny (also a Jatco), but spending anytime on a Land Rover forum resulted in finding out that nearly 50% were dying by 50K miles. It also got a good rating for the engine, but 1/3 were blowing by 75K miles.

So who do you believe? By comparison, the CVT is as reliable as other trannys, but nothing more.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought my '07 just over three years ago at 25k miles, it's now at 85k and most of those miles have been under load during the peak of summer in Florida. I've been a delivery driver in some capacity since I bought it. I have not been kind to this car...at all, but she keeps running. The faulty alternator being the only casualty so far but I think that's a problem specific to my model year.

Personally I hate the CVT because it completely kills what otherwise might be great performance and it has a tendency to go into limp mode on me when it's 100+ outside and I've been driving hard all day. An actual manual transmission on this car would be uber.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I was just worrying, that's my nature. The thing is working/running fine, just been seeing SO many posts here about troubles people have been having.

On a side not, ours doesn't seem to get very good gas mileage. The car only has about 2800 miles on it, so it isn't even broken in good yet, but it seems like it should get a little beter than it does. Seems to use more fuel than it should.

·
Registered
714 Posts
From what I have heard (you can hear a lot down the grapevine) is that the CVT is great unless you add the wrong fluid to it.

Also consider the game “telephone” though things can easily be misperceived or misconstrued.

My question is I occasionally take a 16 hour drive to TX and 6 to KS as far as I’m aware the tranny fluid have not been changed and from what I have read around here everyone says a change is not really necessary so, Should I or should I not change fluids before a long trip since it may or may not been done yet?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Juggernaut, like you said it isn’t really broken in yet. Have you changed the oil yet? If not you probably should. Also the Caliber is a pretty heavy car for the little 4 cyl in it so what do you expect? When I found out it had a 4 cyl in it I was like WTF but it’s a great car. I have gotten up to 28 on the highway before an oil and spark plug change I have only had the car for about 2 months so,

·
Registered
266 Posts
Juggernaut, like you said it isn’t really broken in yet. Have you changed the oil yet? If not you probably should. Also the Caliber is a pretty heavy car for the little 4 cyl in it so what do you expect? When I found out it had a 4 cyl in it I was like WTF but it’s a great car. I have gotten up to 28 on the highway before an oil and spark plug change I have only had the car for about 2 months so,
Yea many reviews often believe the caliber is under powered but DCX's programming of the CVT plays a part in the lack of performance. Its believed DCX programmed the ECU to limit low speed torque to protect the CVT belt from slippage casing wear. I'm now getting 32 on the hwy @ 70 and 35 @ 65. I've got ~27K Mi on mine.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
MY ..CVT is working like it should with 31,000 miles on it..no problems( just for the record).. just wondering though...why people think the caliber is underpowered? mine goes fast enough..have no problem driving the speed limit.. people need to take life at a slower pace if you think the caliber is a slow car. another question.. did you buy the Caliber so you could Race it? if so ..in my very humble opinion..I think that would have been the wrong car choice..unless you got the SRT4. ..but just to do a reality check.. try riding a bicycle for a mile.. then try driving my1967 VW Beetle for that same mile...then ...tell me while you are driving your Caliber for that same mile, that the Caliber is slow... so...my findings on this subject is, the caliber looks good and runs great and no transmission issues.

·
Registered
72 Posts
MY ..CVT is working like it should with 31,000 miles on it..no problems( just for the record).. just wondering though...why people think the caliber is underpowered? mine goes fast enough..have no problem driving the speed limit.. people need to take life at a slower pace if you think the caliber is a slow car. another question.. did you buy the Caliber so you could Race it? if so ..in my very humble opinion..I think that would have been the wrong car choice..unless you got the SRT4. ..but just to do a reality check.. try riding a bicycle for a mile.. then try driving my1967 VW Beetle for that same mile...then ...tell me while you are driving your Caliber for that same mile, that the Caliber is slow... so...my findings on this subject is, the caliber looks good and runs great and no transmission issues.
The caliber isn't slow, technically. It's the CVT that makes it slow. And many of us don't have the luxury of taking life, or the road, slow. In my opinion ATs should be gotten rid of.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts