Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 months ago the check engine light came on and in the odometer spot it said gascap. Well we changed out the gascap and had the code cleared out in the computer but it still won't go away. Shortly after the passenger headlight only worked on high beams. We put in a new bulb to no avail. We took it to a dealer and he said we didn't put in the a dodge bulb which is why it didn't work. He couldn't get the check engine light to go off either by the way. Yesterday the airbag light came on and refused to go off. So I got to listen to the annoying ding all the way to town and back. While driving all of a sudden my gauges would drop to zero and in the odometer spot it started reading no bus. 2 secs later it all worked again. Car ran fine the whole time. No cutting out or anything. Now the driver side light doesn't work at all. No high beam or low. I was told by the dealer that if the light issue happened again I would need a new TIPM. I DO NOT have $900 for a new part plus labor, but its the only work vehicle we have and I need it to get to work and back. Any idea's?!?!?!?:doh::confused::poopstorm:

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
welcome if you are interested in joining the Caliber Club

There are plenty of ideas and owner experiences on here that you could have been sharing and joining in with.

Suggest you read about the wiring harness, headlight reset, second dealer opinion, for starters

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
About 2 months ago the check engine light came on and in the odometer spot it said gascap. Well we changed out the gascap and had the code cleared out in the computer but it still won't go away. Shortly after the passenger headlight only worked on high beams. We put in a new bulb to no avail. We took it to a dealer and he said we didn't put in the a dodge bulb which is why it didn't work. He couldn't get the check engine light to go off either by the way. Yesterday the airbag light came on and refused to go off. So I got to listen to the annoying ding all the way to town and back. While driving all of a sudden my gauges would drop to zero and in the odometer spot it started reading no bus. 2 secs later it all worked again. Car ran fine the whole time. No cutting out or anything. Now the driver side light doesn't work at all. No high beam or low. I was told by the dealer that if the light issue happened again I would need a new TIPM. I DO NOT have $900 for a new part plus labor, but its the only work vehicle we have and I need it to get to work and back. Any idea's?!?!?!?:doh::confused::poopstorm:
First place to look is at the main harness that runs under the battery tray. You have classic symptoms of damaged wiring that others found were in that location.

I would also find another dealer or independent mechanic. The dealer you used is staffed with MORONS!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My husband is in the process of using the directions you guys gave to reset the TIPM. While he is doing that I will have him look at the wiring under the battery tray! I hope its something simple. I agree about the Morons! We got referred to a "shade tree" mechanic that's been working on dodge/chrysler vehicles for 25 yrs. I'm hoping he will be able to fix it if we can't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TIPM reset didn't work. Driver side light still out. Airbag light still on and dinging. Check engine light still on and gas cap warning still showing up when first starting the car. When he did the reset there was no spark as the cables touched and no drain from the system. Wondering if there is something going on with the cables themselves or is this normal sometimes?

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Unless your "shadetree" has the proper diagnostic equipment, then he'll probably be stumped on this one. The TIPM is very sensitive to voltage changes. Is the battery in yours the original? If so, you should go to your nearest autozone, advance, etc. and have them load test it. It may be as simple as the fact that the battery is dying. Stay away from that dealership. Telling you that your headlight doesn't work is a load of crap. That's like saying the fanbelt you got from NAPA won't work because it's not a Dodge belt. What a bunch of con artists!

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
How did your husband do the TIPM reset? The best way is to simply remove both battery cables and tape them together for about 15 minutes. Then reconnect the positive cable first and then the ground cable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
We had a load test done on the battery and the alternator checked at Advanced Auto yesterday as soon as this all started. The reset he just took the cables off the battery and put them together for like 20 mins. It never sparked or anything when he did it which is why I'm wondering if there is something going on with the wiring in the cables or to the cables even. Is that possible? Or is it more likely to be in the wiring harness? I can't believe we actually need a whole new TIPM but I guess its possible. Any idea's about who to take it to other than a dealer? Is it possible that is a main fuse going out? Someone else suggested that to me last night. I would think if the main fuse was bad the car wouldn't start but I really don't know. I know very little about electrical things? Not to mention I don't even know where the main fuse is in the car. I know where the fuse box is and I checked several of the 10amp, 15amp, and 30 amp fuses. I didn't see anything that looked like a main fuse as it was described to me though. I really hate dealer's to be honest they are just a higher paid mechanic that has no clue what he's doing without a step by step book in front of him!

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
The IOD fuses are the main fuses. They are bigger and don't look like a fuse, but nothing would work if it was bad. You're symptoms are classic wiring issues. The harness under the battery tray is one of the main areas for damage. Accidents can really bring that issue out. Another member was told he needed a new TIPM. He had an electrical background and found bad connections on the TIPM were the cause. Most [bad] dealers will start with the most expensive part and start replacing things until the problem goes away. All the while charging the customer for everything.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I have to agree with Brad on this one. Did you buy it new or used and if used, do you know if it's ever been in a wreck? It's a pain in the rear, but if your hubby is a patient man, he really should remove the battery and battery tray and start checking the wiring harness under the tray where it goes through a hole in the fender. For some reason, some genius engineer didn't allow for enough slack in the harness there and wires can rub on the opening and wear the insulation off and cause all kinds of electrical problems. It may take a full day of tracing, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper on a $900 "maybe this will fix it" deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks so much guys! We did buy it used and found out after the fact that he had been in a wreck that was not reported anywhere that we could find. He had to head to work today, but tomorrow we can start the tracing process. He's learning to be patient. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
Once you disconnect cables from a power source there will not be any sparking when touching them together.
You can get a spark touching a battery terminal with a conductor.

I enjoyed the one about a Dodge Bulb, Ford used to sell it's own branded gas in cans "only way to make it go"

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Once you disconnect cables from a power source there will not be any sparking when touching them together.
That is incorrect. Since many of the systems use multiple voltages; there are many charged capacitors. These capacitors take time to discharge once power is removed. If source voltage is removed and immediately shorted to ground; the capacitors will discharge their stored voltage resulting in a small spark. Under strong light you might miss seeing it, though.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Well, we're here to try and help one another when a problem arises. I hope you'll keep us apprised of any developments. I have been to Indiana and found it to be a very friendly state. Had a girlfriend that had property in Nobelsville and she and I went to a concert at Butler University and then spent a couple of days in Indianapolis. I loved it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts