Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really fixed, either...

A couple months ago, the cover for the latch separated. So I used black caulking (from Home Depot) like a glue to secure it. It’s worked well so far...

Today, though, the whole thing ripped its bolts out. So, more black caulking from plastic latch assembly to metal hatch. Clamping it all down the best I can for a few hours, and hoping it’ll be good enough.

I had a spare one; of course, I tossed it out last month.

I’m not quite sure what was going through the engineers’ minds when they designed an all plastic part, needed to lift a big heavy hatch, and just glue bolts onto the plastic, thinking that’s going to hold.

Well, it held for 12 years. I guess in today’s reality, anything living past its warranty is lucky?

Mondays. Am•I•Rite‽

·
Registered
2 Posts
New here but a very active member in the old Blue and Red sites. Bought an 2009 BB SRT4 new and have recently experienced this problem. Can anyone pass on the part number in Brilliant Black for this? What does Dodge call the part? Still love my CSRT4. 116K KM.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
“HANDLE. Liftgate. Power Door Lock.”

Maybe: 0ZG79DX8AG for black clearcoat.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clean the surfaces thoroughly and use construction adhesive...Loctite PL 8X or something like that.
You’re idea is better.

After bouncing around the city today, I notice the caulking is trying to seperate.

I bought “Gorilla Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive”, said to bond metal and plastic*.

Once the weather clears up, I’ll disassemble, clean, and try again, lol.

Thanks, John.

·
Registered
670 Posts
You might look into using something like the 3M body panel adhesives designed for use in the automotive market. If they can take the place of WELDS then they might hold your hatch together

1 - 7 of 7 Posts