Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been reading some posts about the speakers on the Caliber and havent really found an answer to something Ive been thinking about. I have the 9 speaker BA, yes it sounds nice, but I wish it had more of a umpf. Without putting in a huge stereo, will after market 6x9's like alpine type R's improve the sound leaving the stock sirius deck that comes with it?

Any input would be greately appreciated!!!!

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
Trial and error could only tell, and I don't think anyone with the BA system has upgraded the speakers. I have the same system, and would like to do the same, my hesitation is that it might sound worse.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Wouldn't the BA system already come with "upgraded" 6 x 9's as opposed to the stock ones?
Now anoter question - is there a list of upgrade 6 x 9's that will drop in without major door panel or grille modifications. I would prefer to do nothing more than solder wires onto the new speakers and just drop 'em in.

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
Wouldn't the BA system already come with "upgraded" 6 x 9's as opposed to the stock ones?
Now anoter question - is there a list of upgrade 6 x 9's that will drop in without major door panel or grille modifications. I would prefer to do nothing more than solder wires onto the new speakers and just drop 'em in.
I don't think the 6X9's in the BA system are much different than the base system 6X9 speakers, paper drivers with whizzer cones. Crutchfield will list all "drop in" 6X9's, but I'm sure you can fit most with a few small mods, with the exception of large protruding tweeter baskets.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I don't think the 6X9's in the BA system are much different than the base system 6X9 speakers, paper drivers with whizzer cones. Crutchfield will list all "drop in" 6X9's, but I'm sure you can fit most with a few small mods, with the exception of large protruding tweeter baskets.
Crutchfield only showed one type for the front doors. Yes, everyting I looked at in person has the "large protruding tweeter basket" that you mentioned - that is the major stumbling block right now.

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
Crutchfield only showed one type for the front doors.
My guess would be that the door panel would need to be trimmed to fit a larger magnet. That's an easy mod to get them to fit. I'll check to see what might be different between the front and back. It's either going to be my first guess, or the depth might be an issue.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
I don't think anyone with the BA system has upgraded the speakers. I have the same system, and would like to do the same, my hesitation is that it might sound worse.
I don't think the 6X9's in the BA system are much different than the base system 6X9 speakers, paper drivers with whizzer cones.
Boston Acoustic specs of the MusicGate Speaker System in Calibers :

The Boston Sound System found in many of the new Dodge Jeep and Chrysler vehicles are complete custom systems. Each one uses custom designed loudspeakers with digital amplification and a custom tuned DSP module optimized for each vehicle. We do not use standard aftermarket loudspeakers, and so the speakers in your Caliber do not have an associated model number, nor can they be purchased separately. This is in large part because the individual specifications do very little in describing the actual sound of the system. In fact one would need to know both the intricate details of the custom loudspeakers as well as all of the tuning and adjustments made in the DSP module before even having a vague idea of what the response of the vehicle was like.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Factory-Equipped-Car-Systems-FAQs-C93.aspx

·
Registered
145 Posts
as far as the 6x9's go i have some kenwood 5 way speakers with tweters and the magnets are huge but it cleared fine. i just had to get a slightly longer screw.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
as far as the 6x9's go i have some kenwood 5 way speakers with tweters and the magnets are huge but it cleared fine. i just had to get a slightly longer screw.
Worked with the stock grilles? If so what is the model number?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry I havent written in a bit, does anyone know if A) the sirius system has output jacks, and b) how easy it would be to take the casing off?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
sorry I havent written in a bit, does anyone know if A) the sirius system has output jacks, and b) how easy it would be to take the casing off?
No, and it is integrated into the 2009 radios. And why?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
well, if the head unit doesnt have audio outputs, was thiking of maybe switching head units...
That can be done, but you'll need to get one with sat if you want to have sat.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Dont replace your speakers with type r's unless you plan to amp the type r's.

Their power hungry speakers, and they will NOT sound good with the 15 watts rms that the factory radio puts out. They type r's really need upwards of 75 watts rms to sound good.

In my old car, i ran type r components in the front, and type r coax in the rear, and i put the speakers in before i installed my 4 channel, and it sounded like garbage.

Installed the 4 channel, and it sounded pretty good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, thats why im thinking of doing is setting up an amp for them. Thats why I was wondering if the sirius headunit would have audio out or not....
Id definitely keep the sat, I hate regular radio

·
Registered
711 Posts
You can keep your stock radio, and add a 4 channel to it. Its not exactly cheap, but the sq will be VERY good

Pick up a Rockford 3Sixty.2, and you can add a 4 channel and sub easily. Its not the CHEAPEST option, but its a kick ass signal processor.

You dont have to buy a brand new one, im sure you can find one on ebay or amazon for a LOT cheaper..
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/prod...y_id=50&item_id=106187&locale=en_US&p_status=

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
I noticed a buzz in the right front speaker in mine last week. It's gotten progressively aggravating, so today I replaced both front speakers with a pair of 6x9 Sony Explode speakers. They're rated at 300 watts, so I hope I'm protected from my idiot son blowing them out with the stock head unit. He fessed up that he'd cranked it as loud as it would go with one of his cd's in there. I had the speakers left over from his Christmas gift of a Sony am/fm/cd player for his Spirit. They wouldn't fit in his car, so I had to use the 4 and 1/2" speakers in the front doors and get another pair for the rear. Worked out to my advantage!!

·
Registered
711 Posts
I noticed a buzz in the right front speaker in mine last week. It's gotten progressively aggravating, so today I replaced both front speakers with a pair of 6x9 Sony Explode speakers. They're rated at 300 watts, so I hope I'm protected from my idiot son blowing them out with the stock head unit. He fessed up that he'd cranked it as loud as it would go with one of his cd's in there. I had the speakers left over from his Christmas gift of a Sony am/fm/cd player for his Spirit. They wouldn't fit in his car, so I had to use the 4 and 1/2" speakers in the front doors and get another pair for the rear. Worked out to my advantage!!

Eh, sony speakers arent the best, but if you had them laying around, then more power to yeh

Btw 300 watts MAX, their rms is probably somewhere around 60-70rms, still more than the factory radio puts out though..

I hate factory radios, they have no eq, and the put out dirty sound.

As of right now, im still rocking the stock sepakers, and i can get those things loud and they dont blow.

Got to love high pass filters :smileup:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts