Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I haven't been on here in quite some time, I guess I had no problems until now :)

This issue I'm having is not overly bothersome but at low temps outside, I'm talking below -22C -23C, I'm hearing a whine coming from the front of the car. I never hear this at any temperature higher than that. It almost sounds as if it's a turbo bearing in that it will not always be heard at all speeds. I don't hear it in Park, Neutral or Reverse but only at speeds higher than 15 kph so as I'm slowing down for example, it will go away. There is no turbo by the way but the whine just sounds and behaves like that to me. The whine will come back as I accelerate back up. It has a single note as in when you start hearing it, it doesn't get any louder or higher or lower pitch as I slow down or speed up. The noise just comes and goes.

This is a '07 R/T AWD with a 2.4l CVT with AutoStick. It does have 160,000 km on it but has had this symptom ever since I got it when it had 56,000 km.

It hasn't gotten worse over the years, it's just there when the temps drop on a clod winter night in The Great White North...

·
Super Moderator
12,269 Posts
Hi all. I haven't been on here in quite some time, I guess I had no problems until now :)

Not a good enough excuse ! We are here for fun.

Colder temperatures make fluids more viscous so increase friction which may explain the noise.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
The fact that it doesn't change volume or pitch tells me this isn't the drive train or the mechanical operation of the engine. Cars will have different noises when very cold and some are normal at those temps. If you can narrow it down to an area it might help, but I suspect it's nothing to really worry about.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's hard to narrow it down because it only does it while running in the cold... not sure where to find an AWD dyno that sits outdoors or in a freezer LOL

I could see the noise due to cold fluids but those fluids are hot after driving for an hour or so so that would rule that out... Meh... It's been like that for the last 4 winters it should be ok if I ignore the sound or move to FLA !!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts