Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new member but have been reading posts on here for a while. Looking for help on a 2007 RT caliber. No start and no power to the OBD2 port. I have read a lot of posts about people with the same problem with different solutions. I like this car I would like to get it up and running, if you could quickly tell me what might work for a fix, I would really appreciate it. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts
Never heard of no access to OBD2 that really messes up a possible fix.
I take it you have good power every where else?

Reactions: figomatic

·
Registered
710 Posts
Your problem is the main relay...when that goes bad it results in both a no-crank situation as well as a non-functional OBDII port. You'll find the relay in the relay box behind the driver's side front headlight (you'll need to pull the left front wheel and wheel well liner to get at it).

You'll almost certainly find the relay socket has rotted out but the relay box is hardwired to the main wiring harness and can't really be replaced. Best thing to do is buy a weatherproof single relay box with pigtails, cut the wires to the relay in question where they enter the original box, and splice them to the new box. If you can't find a box you might find a socket with pigtails, or worse comes to worse crimp/solder the wires to the legs of the relay and wrap it up in electrical tape as best you can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your problem is the main relay...when that goes bad it results in both a no-crank situation as well as a non-functional OBDII port. You'll find the relay in the relay box behind the driver's side front headlight (you'll need to pull the left front wheel and wheel well liner to get at it).

You'll almost certainly find the relay socket has rotted out but the relay box is hardwired to the main wiring harness and can't really be replaced. Best thing to do is buy a weatherproof single relay box with pigtails, cut the wires to the relay in question where they enter the original box, and splice them to the new box. If you can't find a box you might find a socket with pigtails, or worse comes to worse crimp/solder the wires to the legs of the relay and wrap it up in electrical tape as best you can.
When you say main relay, do you mean the one in the back on the left side? Or all the relays in that box? ( What an ignorant place to put a relay box)

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts
I agree based on the photo in that thread. I have added the Service diagram although I still can't match the two.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I can't say whether this will work or not...I've never seen any aftermarket replacement for that relay box before. I will say that the problem usually only affects one relay in the box (seems like water collects in one corner)...replacing the entire box would be a lot more work than just hot wiring one replacement relay.

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts
Whenever people ask about aftermarket parts I do wonder if they are ever worse than the original !

If your are going to dismantle yourself and willing the box looks tidier than any taped up partial fix, but don't go making unnecessary work. The other relays may be better mounted than your possible replacement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts